Chrome Strip

Home Forums General Discussion Chrome Strip

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’ve noticed that some of you have a chrome strip running the length of your hood.  In the middle running the entire 42″ length of the hood.  This looks very TDish since that strip covered the hinge on “real” TDs.  I have a raised fiberglass stiffener rib running that same length with no chrome.  

Question:  Is that chrome piece just an applique that I can buy and put on my car (to make it faster ;)) or is the hood different on those cars that have chrome?  
         If it is just an add-on, do you know where I can get one?  Gotta be better for the Carlisle AutoX, I figger.  
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mine’s metal and held on by posts. Thinking of replacing it with the same stick-on junk I used on my dashboard. They sell it in several thicknesses & it seems to be all in the $20-a-roll neighborhood. I’m thinking half-inch would look close. Easy-peasy.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My Fiberfab manual says to peel the backing off the strip and attach it to the hood and trim to fit at the front and back. I don’t have the strip but was planning on purchasing it at my flaps (friendly local auto parts store). Like Ed said   Easy-peasy!

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Thanks Guys, but do you have an elevated fiberglass rib running the length of the hood?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Mine is(was) just a stick on molding cut from a roll. Just pick the width you want.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Anonymous
    Inactive

Center strip is available from Mg Magic. Two are listed on e brass chromed at $98.00 and a stainless steel one at $48.00 .

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I don’t think mine’s on an elevated hump. But I’m not near enough to check it.

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

Mine has the elevated hump. I just put 1-4 inch stick on stuff on it

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mine is a metal strip, held on with body molding clips/nuts.

The hood is flat underneath.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

3/4-inch wide strip with flat hood under it. On the windshield side there is an end piece–cap. On the front it’s open like a very tiny air scoop. Assume I’m missing that piece.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

It seems that we have figured out that if you have a flat hood, you probably have a chrome strip.  If you have a raised rib/hump running the length of the hood as on my MiGi, you do not have the chrome strip.  

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Roy I just replaced them on mine. just went to the local auto paint store looked thru there display book . I paid about 40.00 dollars for it .It  came with two strips 13′-0”  I just cut the points off the ends,I didn’t like them. I replaced the center,and both sides , only need one peice .        
    ray102013-03-13 21:05:36

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.