Dash switch labels

Home Forums General Discussion Dash switch labels

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I was browsing the SpeedHut website and came across this photo. Does anyone out there know where to find toggle switches with labels like these? And can they be used in wooden dashboards?
    http://www.speedhut.com/images/user/facebookphoto100_lg.jpg

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I find several references to those, but they were all old posts, circa
    2006-2008. All the links I found were to defunct web sites.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I tried looking for those things, expecting it might be fairly common. Only found out about custom-made labels, or very different types, no place seems to actually sell automotive dash switch ring-like labels. Not anything I could find anyway.

I added the decal labels this summer and it isn’t very good.
    Talk at a forum about roadsters, showing a picture of ringed labels on dash toggle switches, suggested local sign makers can do those if you give them the hole and outer diameters. The kind they were talking about is same thing as name tag, door signs, with etching into dual colored layered plastic.
    If your switch threads aren’t too short it shouldn’t be a problem at all adding a thin disk. I saw pictures of those on padded dashes and I wouldn’t care much for the puckering it causes, but then the switch itself is going to do that anyway unless a hole is cut in the padded surface. Bad idea there, cutting holes in the pad making for inset labels anyhow.
    Wood dash… can’t see anything wrong with those.

LRH2015-11-30 22:23:46

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Thanks, Bob. The thought of contacting local sign shops hadn’t occurred to me. Thumbs Up

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I checked the local boat repair shops and parts stores and they don’t sell anything like them either. Unless you buy an entire switch panel. And even then its a crap shoot they’ll have what you need or want.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Not round but these are pretty cool. Check out the decals. http://www.augerresources.com/switchlabels.php

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

I have had some success over the years making labels and logos on the computer and then printing them out in actual size.  You can print them on photo paper or sticker stock. Doing it yourself means that you can see exactly what you are going to get and the cost is low. Be aware that ink jet printers use water-soluble ink so you will have to overspray them with a compatible clearcoat.  Here’s the replacement dial I made for my speedometer.

🙂

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Or these. Check out the web site

In wine there is truth, in water health.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Kall, what program are you using to make your gauge faces?

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Thanks Dbanta!

plastic-tags was a place I was going to mention after seeing someone had installed those onto their dash until I saw they weren’t a regular item for sale, so I continued looking for mass produced label rings like those.
    Looks like a quantity discount if 10 sets of 5 were made, but since our dash switches or pull knobs vary a bit I don’t know if that’s a feasible idea. I only have 4 pull knobs: lights, hazard, wipers/washer, defroster (fan).
    Fog lights is rectangular toggle below dash, dimmer switch on floor, horn on turn signal lever.
    I like how plastic-tags home page says “woman owned”, and she’s certainly an entrepreneur of many years.
    Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

in addition to the sign shops also try your trophy shop. They make small signs. like name tags etc. they can also make them out of brass or other metal.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Edsnova – i use Microsoft Publisher. Yes, I know it’s old and there are others but it was inexpensive at the time and I have become somewhat proficient. Features like Wordart make it simple to do curved words for dials and there are a lot of fonts available. Note I came pretty close to the origional font on the speedo.
    I know some people will envision flakey, peeling paper labels but it doesn’t have to be that way if you take care. 🙂 Kall2015-12-02 14:47:17

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

I have a friend that got some of these switch labels for his Cobra at a reasonable price. I called him and he is going to try and find the info on where he bought them….it has been over a year so he doesn’t remember the name of the company at this moment. I’ll let you know when he gets back to me.

Sam

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

My friend couldn’t find the paperwork for his bezel labels, but below is another source at $3.50/label.

Round Toggle Switch Legend Plate :
    Legend Plates | Engraved Plastic Labels | Carolina Laser, Inc

Sam

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Thanks, Sam — that’s exactly what I was looking for. Once again, this group comes through! Clap

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

This is a great referral, thanks a bunch!

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.