Daytona migi

Home Forums General Discussion Daytona migi

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

Hi all, been surfing and reading the last few days.
    With trailer in tow, we plan to pick this up from my aunt & uncle’s yard this weekend. It has been parked for a few years, uncle said it started acting up and there were no vw shops in the area. Since we are now into them, figured it fitting to give it to us to revive.
    This was last week.

The id on the front says CP 1975, Laverne Martincic, body by daytona. After looking in the manual section, I see there is no manual ready for download yet.
    My aunt says they still have the title for it but can’t find the books. We have other acvws we drive daily, so working on this will be cool. But would like to see what parts were used where so we don’t have to modify . We have several ‘parts bugs’ to pull from, even another engine if we can’t get this one running again.

I’m looking forward to cleaning it up, making another top, reparing and replacing parts, repainting it and driving it while hubby goes on his bike rides (I fear bikes) so this will be great.

Thanks for any info on a manual.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi myth

Never heard of anything with a similar name. Post some larger shots, including several angles of the car. And I’m sure we’ll be ableto figure out what she is.

And while you’re at it, post the details requested in the Car Registry thread and I’ll add you to the registry list.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/crbugs143/MG/

These are the pics I have so far, will get more when we get it home and scrub it clean.
    There’s a pic of the ID on the front wall, I blanked out the serial #’s they are there , just habit.
    I did a bit of researching  this past week, and the ‘body by daytona’ lead to a company in Daytona , Fla making these too. But they are out of biz now, far as I can tell a lawsuit with another local comp, didn’t go reading details on that. So I assume this is called the Daytona Migi?

I’m just curiuos on parts used from other cars. I read in another thread, wipers from a 74 beetle? Things like that. The floor pans are shot on the passenger side but we’ll replace bothprobably with just flat steel.
    We have a bradely Gt also and they take parts from other cars, so just wondering what all was put on this other than the tailights, front turnlights, frame/pan and engine being VW.
    Going to registry thread now 🙂
    thanks Paul~

purplemyth39991.6234722222

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yup, There you go. A Daytona. The grill and rear engine cover help confirm that.

I’m curious about the “copyright” plate above the serial number.

It looks like one of those Dymo (?) labels. You know, the ones that press invividual letters into an adhesive backed strip. After it was put on it was painted over. I have never seen a copyright tag on any kit car. Makes me wonder if the original builder put that tag on.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

I just checked it, it’s in the gel coat.
    Many years ago I worked at a boat shop, and the builder of the hulls did the same thing, his looked like that too.
    I’ll use some paint stripper over that instead of sanding when we get to that part.

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Hi purple!  It looks to me that you have one of the original cars/kits that were made by Daytona Products out of Florida…Laverne was one of the owners….pretty sure they actually created the MiGi….I think Fibrefab bought them out…I have one that was first completed and registered in 1976….yep, 33 years ago!!! I have alot of the original brochures and assembly manual, etc.  Consists of mainly pages that look like they were made on one of those old ink mimeograph machines if you remenber those!  Some kits had just a ‘glass grill shell, similar to yours, with no chrome…..The engine cover/spare tire holder is different on yours; I’ll have to dig out the brochures and see if any are pictured like it…was a member years ago and never posted and forgot my password…rejoined awhile back but have never posted….maybe its time I get my info on here somewhere and it could possibly be a help to you and others…there are a few older pics of mine posted under mindseyeblind in the photo gallery.  Good luck with your project, I think the Daytona kits are some of the very first produced (not 100% sure) you may have a classic among kit cars!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great info mindseye! I luv it…an antique kit car. 🙂

Paul Mossberg

Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

Thanks Mindseye!
    Great info!
    And like you said Paul, an antique kit lol! fits right in with all the other old cars we have 🙂

Does yours have a tag on the tunnel also? I don’t have a pic posted of mine, but it’s there , listing it as a registered kit car in Fla.
    There’s some more pics in a thread in the my project area too. Haven’t done much more to it. (hubby has bikes on the brains right now)
    Might get to doing a bit more on it this weekend, chiro reset me and I’m able again. And weather a bit more tolerable.

I am looking at your pics now. That looks more like ours, the front fenders are different on the others. Was going to reshape them a bit, but now I’ll leave them alone.
    Like the grill. In my rebuild thread, I have a pic showing the body grill, an added grill, and then a chrome piece someone added. 
    Yes, I’d be interested in seeing original info. My aunt and uncle didn’t rec any when they bought this off a used car lot 🙁

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Purple and Paul! Hello again!  I found some of my info easily, working on the rest….I think I can scan most everything, but it may have a red stripe through it!  Just a couple things for now….it wasn’t Daytona Products, (the memory is going!) it was Daytona Automotive Fiberglass, Inc. 852-910 Carswell Ave. Holly Hill, FL 32017.  LaVerne was the president and her husband started development of the molds etc in Nov. of 1974. He was a professional sprint car designer/builder/driver. They produced the first replica body in Feb. 1975 and she named it “MIGI”. Later on they advertised it as using more donor VW parts than any other kit.  It was in Dune Buggies & Hot VWs in Aug of 1976 & Car and Driver magazine in May of 1977. I’ve even got alot of original correspondence from LaVerne…I’ll try to get all the stuff scanned….I guess I’ll just post it in General Discussion under Daytona MIGI info topic…what do you think, Paul??? 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Mindseyeblind…..

This sounds like content Frankie should put on the TD History – Replica page.

There is an entry for Daytona Migi, but no content.

Frank is very involved in the VW world, but sadly no longer has his TD replica. He created this web site and forum and is still the administrator. He stops by regularly. If we are patient, I am sure he will see this posting. I will also ping him via the private messenger.

FrankieD, are you out there?

Thsi reminds me…I promised a long time ago to scan my Classic Roadsters Duchess VW assembly manual. I’ve got to follow through on that!

PMOSSBERG40011.367650463

Paul Mossberg

Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

did you see this id in my build thread?

(click for bigger pic)
    it says nothing more than
    copyright 1975
    (an ID number starting with C , I fuzzed it out)
    Laverne J Martincic
    body by Daytona.

It’s on a 74 bug frame.

I did some searching last month when we got this. Not much online about the company, that 3 people ran in daytona. I found an address and a lawsuit with another company in daytona. I quit after that.
    Either way, this thing being a 75, it is well worn in certain areas. The more I have goten into it, the more lil things have popped up to be fixed. No biggie though.
    I do like your engine cover though. Ours is not cleanly shaped on the bottom and is burnt inside from sitting on the exhaust.  It may be a replacement from another kit, a friend has a buggy local and it’s very close to his.

Look forward to your scans.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi,

Just for the heck of it, I googled Laverne Martincic. Looks like the same lady, now a Real Estate agent in Ormond Fl (Right next to Holly Hills). There is a photo of her and she looks to be the right “vintage” to have run a company in 1976. Oh yeah, her middle initial is also “J.” Coincidence? I think not. Might be fun to contact her.

Rich

RichBelfay40011.5628009259

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Hi Rich,

Shades  of “History Detectives” !! Very interesting info…I just may pursue this…I’m not the original builder-I purchased the the car 15 years ago from the 2nd owners family,he had passed away and the car had sat for atleast a few years.  I was lucky enough to receive everything he received when he acquired it from the original builder. Original brochures from the first years, letters, original homemade build templates made from file folder type stock…a follow up type letter in 1982 that states that they were the ONLY company that had the Daytona MIGI per a Federal court order, maybe the lawsuit Purple mentioned…it always seemed to me from this “box of stuff” that they were a stand up company and good people, there for their customers…sad they went away, whatever the reason.

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

A sad note to pass on…Rich got me curious again to the origins of my car, since even on the TD replica history page the Daytona MIGI is listed as the original MGTD replica…if it truly was the first, then in a sense the “mother” of all of our cars has gone….LaVerne J. Martincic passed away on Dec.7, 2008.  I don’t know how to make a link, but if you might want to read a little about her you can go to this site:                             

http://www.lohmanfuneralhomes.com/visitations/View.php?id=29 66

Thanks, LaVerne, for all the memories, busted knuckles, and good times I’ve had with my kids because you wanted an MG replica…may you rest in peace…

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

If anyone tries that site I don’t think there is a space between 29 & 66. Think it should be 2966

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

I’m surprised that I didn’t find this obit. Sorry we were a little too late, but the detective work was fun anyway. Check out this link to Laverne’s husband, “Tinker” Joe Martincic. This was a very interesting family!

http://www.jakessite.com/07/notforgot/martincic/martincic.ht ml

Rich

RichBelfay40012.2770833333

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Yeah, I guess we were a bit late, but better late than never…what a pair! Nice to know these cars weren’t originally created in some board room meeting, but by real people. So what do we investigate next…..

Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

It dawned on me last night, lately I have been slower on some simple
    and obviuos things, and being blonde helps according to most, but I
    remembered that just because the copyright states 1975, doesn’t mean it was built in 75. I can’t read
    the Fla reg tag, so who knows when this was actually molded and built. Like a copywrited
    book, it may be republished 20yrs later. But this thing sure shows
    signs of being quite old. The fender edges are frayed in some areas,
    especially the rear tails.
    (edit~ looking at the tag on the tunnel, its just the same #’s as the frame vin. Which is a ’74. So the only way to know for sure it’s mold date , will be to figure out the stamped #’s on the ‘firewall’.)
    I noticed something yesterday, light was just right, but there is a mold line from the top door edge across the body and across the fender. Paint being faded, never saw it, and I do not see it on any of the darker painted cars, this would stand out on darker colors. I’ll get a pic, it’s definatly in the gelcoat.

I had looked for sites with her, but most I found were dated a few yrs ago, nothing for 09 or I would have tried to contact her. RIP Laverne, I’ll dress it up nice~ I had found links to hubby’s obit.

I have been keeping excerts from your posts, since I have a rebuild thread in another vw site, hope thats ok, I’ll add this into, they guys like the bit of history.

Well if I come across anything I need info dug up on, I’ll sure hand it to you guys . This info will sure benefit others too. I have looked on other sites, no one has history other than a couple of lines~

Have a good weekend ya’ll!

purplemyth40012.4510185185

Carlene marie
    Participant

@purplemyth

I’m bored while doing laundry, figured I’d post a couple things I just came across. Thom, you may have these~
    from the site~
    http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/lit/bysub/kit-cars-and-re plicars/daytonaautomotive/index.shtml

and this tidbit in a description for a 4pg sales flyer.~
    quoted~ NOTE: Company
    was later sold to Fiberfab. end

another tidbit, found in a unsuspecting place, youngetrepreneurs forum.
    http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/forum/177681-post6.html
    A website in his profile no longer works. I get the feeling, it’s not the same company.
    odd where search functions take you.

purplemyth40012.4885532407

Daniel Fore
    Participant

@junkman

ok i have a question for you all MiGi lovers I have a migi

looks just like yours purplemyth i cant find the vin number

for the kit is there one on the car? all i see is a

copyright 1975 with Laverne J Martincic

body by Daytona. on it then on the passenger side where the

wiring is it has a couple of names

24_200955_migi.jpg”>junkman40445.8405787037

Duk
    Participant

@justduky

Very cool I also have one of these Migi by Daytona with a six didget number on a strip set in the gel. Also has the same copyright 1975 by Laverne J Martincic. I haven’t been able to tell for sure if the others have a pipeing material installed between the different body parts, my does and has a painted white pin line at the fenderline of the rear fenders. The same pipeing is also installed around the sidemount spare tires. There is also a black u shaped edging running the length of the car covering the edge of the drives side of the body, it looks that this was on the otherside at one time. I like these details and have no intention of deleting it but would like to know if its original. 

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.