Disassembly has begun….

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Disassembly has begun….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

….as well as the questions.

Well I started Labor Day weekend out right…I labored all day working on taking the body off this beast.

I thought it looked rough when I brought it home…

But as I started breaking it down…

The “pretty” quickly vanished until by day’s end I had stripped the skirts and was down to the torso…

I do have a question though….At this point, is it possible to remove the rest of the body in one piece?  I’ve crawled all around it and looked at the manual on this site but I just can’t tell.

I have a few more rivets to drill out in the front, I’ve removed all the bolts I can find in the rear and will be unbolting it from the frame tomorrow. 

If I can remove the remaining torso in one piece that should would make reassembly a much easier task. 

I appreciate your feedback.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hmmm. I’ll be watching to learn on this one. I wonder if the remaining ‘glass parts are light enough to be practically removed by you and a buddy.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

In Washington Will’s photo gallery ,his Daytona MiGi appears to have been removed from the pan with the fenders still attached. Unless the Duchess is designed differently you could probably remove yours at the point you are at now. Just be sure you have every thing disconnected ,be careful not to break any attachment points.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You can remove the body in one piece. In fact, you could have left the fenders and running boards on too.

But please, please be careful. The center section will be very flexible, with very little fiberglass under the door openings.

I suggest pulling all the bolts, then sliding three two by fours under the body, one under the door openings, one at each end of the body.

That will mean needing six people to remove the body. But better too many hands than cracked fiberglass.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

This gives whole new meaning to the term “frameoff restoration”.

Most cars need a hydraulic lift to remove the body. A TD Replica needs 2x4s and 6 big guys, plus a case of beer and a couple of pizzas.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The guys don’t even have to be big! 🙂

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Awesome!  This is great and means I will likely have it done today if I can round u my 3 adult sons and their friends. And yes, beer will be a strong motivator.

The main reason I removed the fenders was because I’m going to change the color of the two tone paint job and needed to replace the fender welt to match the new color.

I probably could have left them on but then I wouldn’t have any battles scars to brag about.  It’s a lot deeper than it looks.  Good thing my wife is out of town or I’d have to go see a doctor or something silly like that. 

Anyway, back to the garage.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Making progress, Rocky!

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Ok.  Everything has been broken lose and is ready to lift off.  The kids will be here tomorrow and we’ll get the body off.  Then I’ll start on the pans.

Since the kids couldn’t make it today I also started disconnecting the engine for removal.  Pretty simple but I marked everything for reconnection anyway.  Once I get something to set it in on I’ll pull it too.

Looks like the last owner did his own version of pan repair which made pulling the body a little tricky.  I think I’ll do it the right way for longevity.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.