Duryea Hillclimb 2019

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show Duryea Hillclimb 2019

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Damn, I posted the entire weekend saga, complete with photos and videos, clicked “Submit” and it disappeared. Too late to do it over now.

Watch this space.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Attempt 2.

I prepped the car as best I could. I opted to NOT flat tow the car after last year’s debacle. I put the race tires on here at the house and drove it up. It’s less than 20 miles. It looked pretty much like the Clampett’s truck.

We made it to Registration OK. On the way up it started running rough and getting hot. I though I had that pretty well worked out.

Typical Duryea registration night.

Come the morning, we had a beautiful day. Fired the car up and went down the hill to the pits. Car seemed to run fine. Got unloaded and went to work setting up the canopies and getting the pits in order. We had a group of seven that pretty much pitted together and helps each other out.

People kept making strange looks as I kept pulling things out of the car.

We had over 100 cars from 10 states show up.

Briefly, I was second in class and very happy about that.

Dennis was to pull 9 seconds out on his next run. Oh well.

Saturday run:

We had an early morning storm come through on Sunday morning. A few brave souls went up to help dry the track. I sat out the first run. I needed the car intact at the end of the day. When I did venture out, my first run was slow as I checked out where the track still had water. It wasn’t too bad, so we began racing. On Sunday, I removed the hood again to compare temperature between Saturday and Sunday, with or without the hood.

Sunday run:

At the very end of that Sunday video, you’ll notice the water droplet on the gopro lens. That came from the radiator neck. The cap was not sealing. On my last run, just before the finish, it puked. I had water everywhere. Thanks to the Brookland shield I didn’t have hot water all over me.

There was only one major incident all weekend. GT1 car made a hard left into the stone wall after just crossing the finish line. Driver was OK. My son David had no competition in his class, and as he already holds the class record for this event, he was experimenting with Turn 5. He took one line that required a little bit more roadway as he put a nice crease on the right side of the Sharpie car from the guard rail. All in all, a good weekend.

As we loaded up after the event, the skies were darkening. As soon as I left the hill and entered the city, the sky dumped. Luckily, my helmet was still on it’s hook on the cage and I grabbed it and put it on. I drove home in the downpour with no windshield so no wipers, but I had the helmet. I passed police from two different jurisdictions on my way home and they, luckily, left me alone.

If you had the sound on, if you watched the videos, you probably thought the car didn’t sound right. You would be correct. Unfortunately, the way that engine is stuffed in there I was unable do do much about it. Once home, I was able to take a few things off so I could check the plugs. I found the problem straight away.

An incredibly easy fix, but not something I could have done on the hill. Anyway, I am looking forward to running the hill using all 8 cylinders.

The workers on Turn 6 have a radar gun and I was able to get my speeds through there from them.

My fastest speed through 6 was 91 mph but it wasn’t my best time. My best run had me in that turn at 80 mph. There is still much to learn on this hill. Looking forward to next year.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

They just posted official results. Raw times, I placed 85th out of 106. Average speed 56.9.

37.14 seconds behind first.

A lot of information on this report. If you open it, I’m running in Specials, S3. One of the last classes listed.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/2019DHCResultswPts.pdf?token=AWzSts2N_IDC5JdJWwAtl7puyxPaumevJtsRGZZnwDWY4hN1QVZecplVK0bTLjla5VExFLt8rg1zyc9u2zo95s7MlR9Es7-Uy4o7wvkoAqSlGynitZYiisl-gt8ci2H0TUBPvG2okbA0hsX5gZpURt2k9KA-WzckVmCZy5iMAkKF2RmuFppFrrgicBVqekGR40bUFISJVDu3WMbSp39hP6ei

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Great report, Bill! Glad to see you avoided any critical incidents and got up that hill with more speed. Amazing that she’s running 7/8 and you didn’t notice. My suggestion: FE block; 428ci. More is more!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.