Enging Photos

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Enging Photos

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Well I think I finally got the engine compartment done.  Just a few extra details.  Had to replace the battery, didn’t like the looks of it and had to re-do the hold down bracket anyway, so I made a box that slips down over it out of white plastic.  I wanted to clean up the fromt area around the radiator.  Tried a chrome fan and covering the hoses  ..Then I came up with the idea of a fan shroud/ well sort of.  It’s a piece of brushed stainless with a hole for access to the radiator, another piece of stainless as a cap and a MG logo I picked up at the British days car show..h 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice engine bay, Monte. That really looks clean.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Montie, You did a great job with the engine compartment.  I really   like the stainless piece with the MG emblem.    Thanks for sharing the pictures.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

SWEET 

What’s the wood box under the hood for?

JasCochran40406.9696296296

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

The wooden box under the hood was just something I had laying around.   Kinda of a emergency kit.   I put in a small first aid kit, flashlight, extra fuses, fuel filter & clamps, pen and note pad,  just to name a few things in there.  Never know what you might need, the band aids have already been usefull.  Guess it’s the old boy scout in me.  Montie

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Monte

That is one primo engine bay! 

Neat, clean, chrome,  I love it.  

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

No cigars?
    I had picked up a marine first aid kit in a plastic water tight case. Mine is up under the dash. The shark repellent comes in so handy  .
    I need to swap the repellent with a set of fuses, I suppose.
    Good idea on the spare fuel filter. I need to add one.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And for the VW based cars, spare throttle and clutch cables, at the proper length for your car, belong in that kit!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I got the AAA Plus…100+ mile towing

Serioulsy, that’s a really clean engine bay. That shroud may even help with cooling too?

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Thanks for the  words.. No cigars, quit those about 35 years ago.  Do have some Off repellant, and sun screen in there.  Not too many sharks here in Ohio, but if I head to the coast guess I can add it, you never know.    Oh, I also carry that red and white bow string in there thats holding the hood back.  The metal rod hood prop only gives limited access and visability, just something else left from another round-to-it project.  

I get alot of grief from the better half about STUFF laying around forever.  Lets see anyone need a banjo-lyn case, about 200 8 track tapes or or maybe 500 rods and reels.  Just to name some of the STUFF cluttering the garage, according to her.  Montie        

Rob Haettich
    Participant

@mrhydrant

I was just looking at your pictures of under your hood (and a great looking job you’ve done) and noticed your exhaust header and air cleaner.  I know neither are stock, where did you find them?  I need a air cleaner real bad because I am using the stock air cleaner with some cuts out of it to fit around the linkage.  Nice job on the car.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Hey Montie,

I use my garage (and attic) for archiving also.

Someday, it will all be worth a lot of money and you never know when retro will come around. I had a stack of old free boat brochures in a box I started to trash, but sold each one on ebay for between $7-$10 EACH, go figure. I hit all the boat and car shows now for the freebies, archive them in plastic bins for future $$$—old magazines too.

I have been showing everyone your underhood photo . Beautiful.

JasCochran40408.7470601852

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

mrhydrant…if your 2.3L uses the progressive Holley/Weber 2 bbl. there are aftermarket air cleaners available through most VW aftermarket vendors. There are kits available for putting these carbs on a VW motor.

Check out http://www.thesamba.com classifieds for a used or new one.

For just new, I think an EMPI #9032 will work just fine. http://doghouserepair.com/store/item/1345

K&N also makes elements to fit these rectangle shaped filters.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

mrhydrant: 

I got the header and aluminum valve cover off ebay.  It took about 4 months of watching for and finally winning one at a price I was willing to pay, under $100.  I’m cheap I guess.  The air cleaner just happend to be with some other stuff I picked up at a local car show, lucked into it.  

They make an adapter for these Weber style carbs but they cost more than the air cleaners themselves.  You can make your own alot cheaper just by using a flat piece of metal furnace duct work  large enough to cover the  4 or 5 ” round base from a 9 or 10″ chrome air cleaner from any parts store.   Flatten out the flange on the base and pop rivet the new piece to it.    If you want a template I can send you one.   Montie

Rob Haettich
    Participant

@mrhydrant

Montie,   A template would be good then I don’t have to make all the mistakes getting one to fit, and any directions would be nice.  The original air cleaner just looks bad with half of the bottom and side cut out!!  What kind of header did you look for on ebay?  Does it clear everything on the undersile of the car without any alteration and how was it to connect to the exhaust?   Rob

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Rob, send me a personal message with your address and I’ll get it the way.  

All I did to search for the header on ebay was type in “ford 2.3 header”, several will probably pop up then just pick the one you like and bid.  They were going for 100 to 150 used at the time.   It cleared fine, it came down lower than the original exahust manifold so I had to have a new down pipe made, (another $40).   If you have a Muffler Bros shop near by they are more apt to help you out than Midas… Montie

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Also, a ceramic coater header will not only outlast a painted steel header, the under hood heat is greatly reduced. You’ll pay more, but it’s well worth it.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Too clean looks to good ,I guess i have to clean mine up,,,, Dan

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.