Fiberfab ID number

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fiberfab ID number

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Poinsett
    Participant

@huskykicker

I was going over my newly acquired TD today and I found a number on what would normally be called the firewall right below the “FF” logo. The number is 8222933-3. Any idea what this means? Does it indicate the year of the production of the body? I’m trying to find out as much as I can about the car. The previous owner didn’t know much. The chassis ID tells me it’s a 1967 and it is supposed to have a 1641cc engine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Royal
    Participant

@royal

This site will get you closer to figuring out the answers:  http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html

But, there will be (already are) differences:  Your car has a 1641?  That would make it a rebuilt engine since 1641 is not normally found in T1 engines.   Some questions here, does it have a doghouse oil cooler (1971 and later) does it have single port engine (1970 and earlier) how ’bout swing axles (1967 and earlier)?  But beware of anything that you think you know since the prior owners may have made upgrades/changes.  For example, a couple of months ago, I decided to replace the clutch on my MiGi and, being absolutely convinced that I had a 1969 1600cc (I rebuilt it and increased from 1500cc) single port engine, that is the clutch kit I ordered.  Pulled the engine and discovered that I had bought the wrong kit.  Someone had put a 1971 transaxle in and the required clutch kit is slightly different.  
    Mike Poinsett
    Participant

@huskykicker

I found the engine number (H0639554). The previous owner had the 1500 engine rebuilt in 2008 and increased the displacement to 1641cc. According to the engine number, it is a 1967. According to the chassis number (117592986) it is a 1967. The title says it’s a 1982 Assembled Vehicle, so I am guessing that the body number (822293-3) will indicate that it was built in 1982. I haven’t been able to find any information on the body numbers of Fiberfab TD’s.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sounds like you have an “enlargened” (that is an edsnova word) 1500cc to 1641cc single port, no doghouse engine.  

Do you have swing axles or the IRS (double jointed) rear axles?
    Mike Poinsett
    Participant

@huskykicker

It appears to me to be a swing axle. I see no u-joint out by the wheel.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sounds like a ’67.  

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

huskykicker wrote:
    I was going over my newly acquired TD today and I found a number on what would normally be called the firewall right below the “FF” logo. The number is 8222933-3. Any idea what this means? Does it indicate the year of the production of the body?  
    I have what I believe to be an early FF kit, with a serial number of 726044.  Your theory that the first two digits indicate the year of the kit manufacture would match this serial number also.  

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

According to Fiberfab’s President. Fiberfab MG TDs were numbered FMXXX, where the FM stood for Fiberfab MG-TD, the first digit after that is the unit digit of the year and the final three are the serial number for that year. Your number sounds more like a part number for that body piece.

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Make that FMXXXX, four digits not three……

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

That’s how it looks to me to Gabe. My Fiberfab kit number is FM1876 indicating that my TD is a (F) Fiberfab, (M) MGTD, (1) 1981, (876) the 876th unit built that year. Your 8222933-3 number appears to be the body part number. To see the rest of the part numbers each piece (fender, engine cover, side cowl etc) will have to bee removed. Check any paperwork you have. The original owner may have written the kit number on the paperwork or invoices. Mine was easy…it was still in the boxes. newkitman2013-09-23 15:45:13

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I certainly may be confusing a part number for the serial number, but that is the only ID number that I’ve found on a body piece any where… 

My old kit doesn’t even have the FF logo on the firewall as I’ve seen on later kitsl, only this number on the driver’s side…
    As I’ve said, I’m not even sure it is a FF — but with an exposed steering shaft and other clues, that is what I’m guessing it to be.  It came with a fiberglass grille shell and side-post mounts on the headlights, for example…

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Do you have a title, or are you like I was a few months ago, trying to figure out how to get from zero paperwork to having a path to legally titling it.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

gkesseru wrote:
    Do you have a title, or are you like I was a few months ago, trying to figure out how to get from zero paperwork to having a path to legally titling it.
    Mine is titled as a ’69 VW, if the question was directed at me…

Mike Poinsett
    Participant

@huskykicker

My Indiana title says 1982 ASM (Assembled Vehicle).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.