Fiberfab Parts

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fiberfab Parts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I recently post about an accident I had.  End result is I need a new radiator grill shell.  Does anyone have a source for one?  Are they the same as the original TD grill shells?  Can they be repaired and re-chromed?

Also need the fiberglass assembly that sits below the grill shell and between the fenders.

TIA

Al Greig

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Sorry to have to see that. Hope everyone is ok.

There are distinct differences between the original TD grille and the ones provided by Fiberfab. The original units are actually easier to find, but then you have to modify the fenders and that front apron so it looks like it belongs.

I did find a place in VietNam that manufactures bumper kits although I haven’t used them yet.

Good luck.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’ll add that not only are there differences between original TD and replica grill shells, but not all replica shells are the same and they are not interchangeable between replica manufacturers without modifications.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dang, Al. Sorry to see that.

Douglas Goodwin
    Participant

@aerostatav8r

Does anyone know what modern car frame fits the dimensions of a mg td? (Width: 52in; Wheelbase: 96in)

I have an 1977 mg td kit and am looking to put the body on a newer car. Has anyone done this?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

We’re hijacking Al’s repair thread, but for a moment…

I believe you will not find a “modern car” to use as the basis for a TD replica. “Modern cars” do not have a frame. And unibody construction doesn’t lend itself well to the kit car world. You need a full frame to build the replica on.

As weak as it was compared to a “real” Mustang, the suspension and drive train from a Mustang II are fairly common components for TD replicas. Many kit manufacturers had custom frames built to accommodate Mustang II and Chevette drivetrains. With a light weight fiberglass body, the Mustang II V6 will get you more significant performance.

If that’s not enought, there are members here that have dropped V8’s into their front engine TD replicas.

Add fuel injection and electronic ignition to any of the above, and that’s about as close to “modern” as you are likely to get.

There were also kits that used MGB running gear, although they are typically difficult to find in the USA.

Now back to Al’s repair saga!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I found a body shop that specializes in vintage Corvettes.  It has been in shop since middle of January, all done except for grill shell.  They had to fabricate a new front apron.  The grill shell required removing chrome so it could be repaired and then re-chromed.  Process is on hold because plating shop is shut down because of Covid 19.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

FWIW…I have seen other TDr’s with that grille shell painted. It doesn’t look bad, just different .

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.