Flasher relay test? Lucas 33117

Home Forums General Discussion Flasher relay test? Lucas 33117

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bill
    Participant

@trikeman72

ok got the shifter back together. Onto my last issue

my turn signals don’t work. When I try moving lever on column I hear clicking comes from silver box I found is the flasher relay. Makes the stop light a flasher when u use ur signals. Lucas 33117. Bout 90$ thru Moss

also the rear wire on headlight switch gets really warm as if a short is happening I assume in that relay?

There is also a round tall flasher relay I think for hazards

and another relay as well there in same area but not all for signals.

I have the lucky style rear light assemblies and they work just need lenses

how can I test that flasher relay so I know that it’s bad before sinking 100$ into a new one?

Of course if anyone has one I’d love to get it for cheap same for lenses and seals

thanks in advance

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Have you removed the cover and checked the solenoids? Make sure they’re clean. With the cover off you should see if the solenoids are working or not.

Tons of info if you google “Lucas 33117” including replacing with newer style relays.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Bill
    Participant

@trikeman72

To be honest I didn’t open figured I’d o my make it worse lol.

car been sitting a long time ill

clean the contacts and see if it starts working

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

My blinkers don’t work about every other year. It’s my reminder to go clean and re-do the ground connections.

Bill
    Participant

@trikeman72

Well I took it off pulled cover and sanded the contacts to clean them up.  Not sure if they’re bad or what.  One of the long reeds is bent like it was overheated and linked or bent it a little.  Tried to make all of them straight and clean

sure is a huge pita to install this thing to see if it works 😂

Pics on phone can’t get to attach

Michael Davis
    Participant

@oldnslow

Sounds overly complicated and expensive but mayge Im missing something. When I rewired mine (vw chassis), I ran a hot in and out of a 5 dollar button flasher unit then fed that to the hot side of the turn signal switch. Then fed left and right circuits accordingly.  90 bucks for a flasher relay? Yow!  And did you know that Lucas invented the intermittent wipers?……and the intermittent  headlights, the intermittent gas gauge, the intermittent fuel pump..etc…etc…etc…….😀😀😀😀

Bill
    Participant

@trikeman72

Yeah it sounds beyond complicated and expensive I ended up buying a 30$ universal column lever with a flasher relay now I have to figure out what all I can get rid of co I have like 3 flasher relays lol

also.  Someone was nice enough to use a column from a 73 bug so it has the wipers on there also and that assembly is what holds the shaft centered.  Sighs

soooo since they welded the bolt up bracket to the tube already I’m going to add about 2” of tube to slip over the end of what I have so I can use the cap that holds shaft centered and gives me a place to mount the turn lever.

Annnnd apparently I have to get a switch to go thru dash to wire up my wipers if I even bother since I’m in az lol

and I have to get an ignition switch to go thru dash coz all that stuff is in with the later lever setup

figure I’ll go head and get my new steering wheel since it’s off anyhow right lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.