Geoff’s 53 Classic Carriages TD

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Geoff’s 53 Classic Carriages TD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Sweet ride. Thanks for posting pics.
    Where in NY are you?
    PMOSSBERG39775.9991435185

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Actually, I live in Mesa Arizona. The car used to belong to my father but he recently passed it on to me! I spent many summers working on it with him, and went cruising around the Buffalo NY area every week-end by his side. I am planning on shipping it here in the next month or so. I will update the pics when I get it here. It’s already fast as heck and as loud as a V8 but I plan on turbocharging the engine, and maybe re-upholstering it.

Thanks for the reply!

Geoff

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ah well. Then I guess we can’t convince you to drive to Carlisle Pennsylvania for the big kit car show in May! 🙂

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry
    Participant

@larry

Georgeous car. Detailed properly. Well maintained. Very impressive.

Larry

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Wow thanks for the great compliments!

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi Geoff,

That is a really beautiful FiberFab (I’m assuming) replica. I’m really curious about the knock offs. Where did you get them? Were they after market or something that FiberFab offered. Also, color appears “orange”. Is that a re-paint?

Thanks,

Rich

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Geoff,

Welcome aboard. Nice car!

Paul Mossberg

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Hi Rich,

Your car looks awesome with that V6 I bet it’s reall fast too! I hate to say it in this forum, but The cobra is my favorite!! As far as the wheels, the baskets came with the car. Sometime around 1990 my father purchsaed the spinners, which threaded right on the hubs and the MG logos from a place called MiGi magic in FLA. I’m not sure if they are still around but I remember he was really excited to find them. He said they had anything you could dream of for Replica MG’s.

The kit is made by Classic Carriages, and the color is the same as yours,RED RED RED, the pics are deceiving.

Thanks for your comments, and again great car!

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

Thanks for the info. I’m really having fun with this car. It is in great shape and I got it really at a low price. Not as nice as yours, but it has a lot of potential.

The V6 is really cool, but a little short on horsepower. 105 HP is plenty for a light car, but I’m a little surprised that 2.8L can’t deliver more.

All the best!

Rich

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Rich, I’m getting 180HP+ out of my 2.3 v4. You could definitly Get more than that if you wanted. My father put in a racing cam, holly carb, racing header and exhaust to name a few. Just those upgrades made a DRAMATIC difference in performance. I’m currently looking into turbo/supercharge options for my engine. I know it sounds like overkill, but I always wanted a HotRod!!

Geoff

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

What kind of V4 do you have in your Classic Motor Carriages TD Replica that is making 180+ hp?

I only know of two V4’s made for automotive applications: One was a 2 stroke (oil and gas mixed) made by Saab and the other was a Vesco V4 which was a specially machined V4 made from a small block Chevy for USAC Midgets (open wheeled oval racers).

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

It is your standard lima engine from a 78 Pinto or Mustang II. Just modified with some racing parts. If you check the Pinto club website, Some of those guys are getting 400hp from the same engine using turbo chargers, there is also a shop in CA that offers the same results with these engines (not sure how much it costs, but I’m sure it’s pricey!)

I don’t think I want that much power, but instead of getting a “chirp” from the tires in 3rd gear, I’d like to go for a scream!

Thanks for the question!

Geoff

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Oh…you said, “my 2.3 v4” 

What mods does the engine have? What clutch/trans is behind it? Did you dyno the engine? 

I live a mile from one of the most well known Lima engine performance shops in the country, Modern Performance. They’ve done some machine work for me. They specialize in turbo charging Lima engines and mostly the Merkur XR4Ti vehicle. The weak links are the clutch, transmission and rear. Most of their high HP stuff requires changing to a tweaked AOD-E, T-5 or Tremec TKO500 as well as aftermarket flywheels and clutch set-ups. They also change the rears over to some variant of an 8.8″ Ford.

Esslinger’s in CA and Racer Walsh in FL are the two premier Lima oval track and road course suppliers for the Lima. A complete Esslinger’s Midget motor is in the $15,000 range and run on methanol.

Pink MG39819.6687615741

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

I know my father put a racing clutch in some years back, I tried looking through a pile of receipts to find out which kind with no success. The tranny is a 4sp manual(german ford) which is actually giving me problems with the reverse gear. He put in a crane cam, holly carb, Hooker? header, K&N filter, and some engine tweaks. I’m not sure what else but it sure is loud and really fast! The car only weighs about 1900 lbs so that probably helps too.

Thanks for the Info, As soon as I get my car shipped from Buffalo to Phoenix I plan to be very busy in the garage (If my wife will let me!)

Thanks again!

Geoff

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

Probably the same Ford transmission as in my car. I have not had a chance to drive it any great distances, but so far Trans is smooth and quiet.

Clutch cable replacement was a major pain. Apparently the Clutch Lever on the tranny was too close to the fiberglass cowling and when somebody tried to disengage it tore a small hole in the cowling and destroyed the cable.

I just asked the original owner for the stats and what whas actually done in the rebuild of the Mustang II V6. Car only has a total of 12K miles on it. I’m actually very happy with the power and was frankly surprised at the original “advertised” HP of the V6. Also important to note that the original 1974 V6 apparently had a significant amount of HP robbing emmisions stuff installed. Mine has none. Sorry to all of you “green” fanatics, but it’s just one little car

Rich

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Rich,

I too had the clutch cable SNAP on me while driving it a few years ago, It definitly sucked to reinstall it!! Especially in a gas station parking lot!!! Glad to hear you are having so much fun with your new MG. Wanna trade your Cobra for my TD?

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

Another question. I noticed that your MG has the Headlamp chrome Stone Guards. I have sets that came with mine for the Headlights and Fog Lamps as well, but I don’t have any hardware to attach. Can you describe how yours are attached? Might have to fabricate my own.

Thanks,

Rich

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Sure,

If you look at the pic you can see a knob sticking out of the side of the headlamp. there is one on each side. That is actually a screw(like the finger tight kind) that threads into the headlamp and through a bracket attatched to the baskets. I think if any mods were made it was just drilling a screw hole into the sides of the headlamps. Hope this helps!

Again try MiGi Magic in FLA for any wierd or Misc parts. They used to have everything. Their # is 954-680-2010. My father used to deal with Brad Anderson(not sure if he’s still there)

Good Luck!

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Rich,

DON’T DRILL HOLES IN YOUR HEADLIGHT BUCKETS…they’ll leak like crazy and rust through in a heartbeat. For the most part, these are not original MG headlight buckets, they are made in China aftermarket, universal for street rods and stuff like our cars. Not exactly the best quailty. Constant application of chrome polish is what saves them.

Those thumb screws that Geoff describes should have a tab on them that slips into the retaining ring on the headlight. Some cheaper ones just snub up to the crease left where the retaining ring and bucket meet.

Moss Motors and Victoria British are just a few vendors for these. Just “google” headlight stone guards and you’ll be sure to get plenty of hits. 

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Pink MG

Yeah, I appreciate Geoff’s response and the info provided, but I was already thinking of alternatives to avoid drilling holes. My headlight buckets are in very good condition, but I noticed some surface rust inside when I had to change a sealed beam recently. there is very little plating on the inside of the buckets. I was actually considering masking them and using “undercoat” to spray the inside to prevent further rusting.

Luckily I live in a part of the world where climate is not much of a factor in deterioration of vehicles.

Rich

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Great idea…a can of Rustoleum will do about the same thing. The undercoating is messy and may be affected by the head generated by the light bulb…just a thought 

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Rich,

I was just surfing around this site and noticed on pg 61 of the fiberfab manual in the “download manuals” section of this group there is a diagram of exactly how my stone guards attach to the headlamps. Check it out when you get a chance.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

Thanks! I downloaded the whole manual. Makes for some interesting light reading.

Rich

Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Hi Geof,

Very nice car! I live in NY and would love to have your old lisence plate # if your through with it. Your car is simular to mine (Bills Baby on the yahoo site) mine is red with a white interior and a Chevy engine (stock for now) I actually tried to get a vanity plate with a simular message with no luck. I promice to keep it in nice shape if you get rid of it.

Thank you, Bill Hursh, Wolcott NY

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.