Geoff’s 53 Classic Carriages TD

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Geoff’s 53 Classic Carriages TD

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Geoff;

I can’t decide which is brighter, the chrome or the smile on your face!

Don’t skip anything when doing the maintenance. (my soapbox again )  Check bolts, nuts, cables, hoses,,,,heck, check everything!  Make sure that first long cruise is a happy one.

You may now notice a condition of sore cheeks from grinning so much!

Happy motoring,
    Ringo

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Great news Geoff…You’ve been waiting a long time.

Changing the fuel washed oil was a great idea. Dump about 16 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in about 500 miles before you change it again. this will help free up stuff gummed up inside. Do that a couple of times for the next two oil changes.

Be sure the PCV hose is not collapsed either. It will cause the crankcase to build too much pressure and seals start to leak.

For rough running, try a large bottle of Chevron Techron. You can’t use too much. Just dump the whole large bottle in. Don’t forget the fuel filter either. The Weber/Holley 2 bbl has a puny little paper filter in the inlet. Change that one and put one in the line between the tank and fuel pump too. Do this BEFORE you add the Techron.

By the way, if there are Chevron gas stations near you, Techron is already in the premium, just not the regular and mid-grade.

Get a decent vacuum gauge to set the idle mixture. They are cheap from Harbor Freight or similar tool vendors.

There are suppliers that sell jet kits for this carb too. This carb was used on the Vega and also used on the VW 2 bbl carb swap kits. The VW kit carbs are pre-smog carbs and don’t use the fuel feedback and electronic controls. Re-jetted they are fine to run on the larger displacement LIMA engine.

Don’t trust the TIMING BELT either. They are cheap (http://www.rockauto.com) and use discount code 17405571014459.

The battery may not hold a charge if it’s been sitting so long. Use Battery Tenders on all my “hobby” car’s batteries.

As Ringo said…HAPPY MOTORING

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I love Marvel’s Mystery Oil. I have been using it all my life, very useful stuff. Here is an interesting site about the product and it’s uses

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php

Great info Mark. I think once I get my engine back together I will follow your posting to get my engine running clean. I got a battery tender from Harbor Freight for less than 10 bucks, I also got one of the solar powered units from Harbor that plugs into the cig lighter, got one on the boat also, seems to work just fine.

I’ll join everyone in HAPPY MOTORING Geoff

James

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Paul, not to sound like an idiot, Where do I find the pcv hose? Also, can you be more specific on how to use the vacuum gauge to set the idle mixture.

Much appreciated!

Geoff

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Geoff

Giving credit where it is due, all that good advice came from pinkmg, aka Mark.

But since you asked, there should be a hose between the air cleaner and the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve normally on the top of the valve cover. That’s the PCV hose.

Here’s a good lesson on using vacuum gauges from the Second Chance Garage:

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

And for VW’s with dual carbs (and I guess anyone with dual carbs):

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/dualcarb .htm

http://www.aircooled.net is a great technical source for VWs.

PMOSSBERG39946.5552430556

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks Paul! And sorry Mark, I’m just so used to getting so much expert advice from both of you that I accidently confused the 2 of you! oops

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Well, we are both tall and balding…but incredibly good looking. So it is easy to understand how one might mix us up!Embarrassed

Mark, your turn!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Paul is right…INCREDIBLY good looking

Tha hose Paul described it the filtered intake for the crankcase ventalation system. The hose I am talkng about is from the PCV valve itself (mounted in the valve cover) to a port on the carb base or intake manifold. This collapses if it’s old and soft (unlike Paul and I) from the direct vacuum port it’s hooked to.

If you VW guys have dual Kadrons and use a uni-sync, a Pringles chips can cut down very cleanly can be attached to the uni-sync to get it to clear the carb air horn. I’m sure a well manicured and possibly gasketted piece of PVC would work too…but no munchies come in PVC pipe

Just a note for JasCochran: Marvel Mystery Oil lowered my Cholesterol 30 point too! I love that stuff!

Paul and Mark…we sound like two Gospel writers!

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Mark,

I tasted the Mystery Oil…no wonder it lowered your Cholesterol , it will lower all sorts of stuff . Leaves an after taste you just can’t get rid of.  puy puy  yuk yuk……………….nice color though! My engine likes, similar to good old homecooking for the mechanicals with a dose of colon cleanser in the mix.

James

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

James – You’re already drinking the kit car Kool-aid. So you may as well wash it down with a shot of Mystery Oil.

Mark – Should we add incredibly good looking to our signatures?

Paul Mossberg

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

She looks Great!! Love the license plate too.

Must be enjoying the weather now. Probably perfect for evening rides. Mine is safely tucked away for a cold winter’s nap!

Enjoy!

Rich

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks Rich,

I took her for a spin yesterday (about 70 degrees). Absolutely perfect! It is usually a little too cold to drive in the morning or night. I plan on not driving too much til’ spring. I still need new tires and random upkeep. But the wife just bought me a new steam cleaner so I had to try it out. It did a great job on the chrome, next—the engine.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Totally Awesome

What sort of steamer you got? Mine doesn’t cut it. Love the chrome under the bonnet. 70 degrees = perfect crusing temp! Fabulous road machine!!! Great craftsmanship, beautiful beautiful Stella

Geoff, right behind your grill, you have a panel – upper section above radiator top. I do not have such on my car. Is that sheet metal you fabricated? Looks great. Everything looks great!

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

James,

My wife bought me the steamer from HomeDepot.com I think. It works pretty well at shining up relatively clean surfaces, but it’s not too good at removing heavy deposits on the bottom of the engine.

The sheet metal on the top of the radiator I always thought came with the kit. It may have been fabricated when it was assembled, or my father may have made it when he hung the horn there.

Thanks for the compliments~ I am having lots of fun!

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Just some recent pictures of Stella…

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

I finally got her registered in VA. I replaced the distributor, new plugs, and am trying to cycle through the old gas before I take her out officially.  You may notice the Rondelles or “Meatballs” I added. I also removed the stone guards on the headlights and the wind wings on the windscreen. I plan on getting some new Coker tires…either gangster walls or redlines (still undecided) and having a bit fatter rear tire while keeping the fronts at 185-75-r14. I should be cruising Northern VA later this week. Cheers

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome back, Geoff! She looks sweet!

I’d love to see the fat whitewall look on that car. 
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thumbs Up

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Goeff,

Where are you in Northern VA? Need to meet sometime. Stafford area
    Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

I’m in Leesburg. Near Route 7, and Route 15 intersection.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Nice drive up that way – back roads – through Fauquier county and Prince William.
    As soon as I get my engine fixed I will PM you and see if we can cruise to a meeting point.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.