Got the body off

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Got the body off

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

The boys showed up with a friend (and their own beer) and we pulled the body off today.

It was almost as bad as I thought….

Good thing my son is a professional welder and another is a “theme” carpenter who works with wood, fiberglass, metal, etc.

Lots of work ahead of us but I’ve already enjoyed a day with the boys.  Which was a primary reason I started the project in the first place.

Well….here we go!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Um…where in the world are you floor pans?  And in the first photo, which one is Rocky?       You have your work cut out for you. But I’m betting that you will have tons of enjoyment working the TD and making her right with the world again. Have you picked a name for her yet? I named mine “Moneypenny” after the curvey red head in the James Bond flicks.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dude, I thought you said this car was rusty. 

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Aah. That’s the lightweight competition option. Once thought very rare, it has become more common with time. 

The VW slushbox is rare.  

This isn’t a frameoff restoration. This is a frameless restoration.

Is that a swing axle suspension? That’s lot of rust. This would be a really good time to make some big decisions about what you want to ride on. It might be easier, and more productive, to start with another frame.    

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I agree with BDriver. You might want to consider a different VW donor. It will be a ton of work to rebuild this one as so much of the structural parts are rusted away. I’m also concerned with the Fully Automatic trans. My understanding is they were  only made a couple of years. If you get every thing restored and the trans messes up you are facing yet another BIG problem. The standard VW with a 4 speed manual transaxle is a fun car to drive and very dependable. Not trying to tell you what to do ,I just think you would be way ahead to start with a more complete chassis.

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

BDriver, cmon.  I’m trying to stay positive about this.  Especially considering what I paid for the “car”. 

I figure if my son the welder says he can repair what I have then I’m in.  Besides, it’s a VW…I can find parts anywhere.

Anyway, I haven’t had a good challenge in a long time and this will be a good distraction from desk job.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Will an IRS, disk brake chassis fit under a TD replica? That would be a sweet ride. Add sway bars and you’d be giving the Porsche replica guys fits in the twisty bits.

The VW automatic is another issue. It didn’t sell well, probably because it turned an adequate engine into a marginal one. The uneven gear selection in the manual gearbox makes 50 hp work. Not so the even steps in the automatic. It is unlikely that you would be happy with performance.

Time spent converting a higher function donor car might be a better investment than resurrecting a rusty (very), swing axle, drum brake automatic chassis. You could even build one engine for performance and keep the other stock as a spare, just in case Rocky puts his foot too deep in the carburetor on the hot motor. You wouldn’t do that, would you?   

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

It’s not that bad.My only consern is the rusted out area on the main center tunel in the pick.If thats the worst of it you should be ok.Be sure to price out all your replacement sheet metal,I went with 14 gauge sheet steel myself.turned out to be a cheeper route,a little more work but stronger than vw floor pans.check my photo album.

The frame for mine also started as a super with struts and I converted to standard front beam from scratch.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

While you are evaluating your frame options, don’t forget the TDReplica.com grill badge. It’s a beauty. Available in the “Our Store” link on the left side of the screen.

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

So if I were to consider a more robust donor frame where would I start to look for one.

So far my search has only uncovered full cars at full price.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Rocky,
    I’m using a 71 Beetle Donor. The Car has an IRS Frame and transaxle. Body by rust . Here’s a link to mine if you think it’ll help.

http://public.fotki.com/Allen1209/mgtd-build/building-my-vw- base/

newkitman40791.4188425926

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Rocky,

I don’t know where you live, but I wish I would have used a new donor on my

speedster project as it was as rusted as yours. My local VW guy has IRS

frames w/ title ( he strips them as he gets them ) for about 150.00 here in

Va. – mostly bear frame

I spent huge time welding etc. and am still not ready to drop the body – I

wish I had just switched donors – IRS will be nicer in the twisties as well.

My TD was only slightly better then my speedster donor, but I finished it 3

years ago so it can be done.

Let me know if you want me to check what he has in stock at this time.

Dale

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Keep in mind the tunnel is the backbone of the chassis and is where all the strength comes from. The frame head can be replaced but I’m not sure about the rear bulkhead. The floor pans are nothing and really don’t provide much in mechanical strength to the chassis so replacing them is not a big deal and commonly done. However I’d seriously think about picking up another chassis that has a good tunnel, frame head and rear torsion assembly. They are easy to come by and not at all expensive. Even with a good chassis you’ll have plenty of fit and assembly ahead to enjoy with your son’s.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If the tunnel is solid, you can replace both front and rear “bulkheads.

Take a look at this guy:

http://www.cirkut.com/bug/week1.html

Rockyx, remember, we are a great resource here. But when you are looking for info, don’t forget to search for VW restoration info.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Here’s another one that stripped off everything back to the rear torsion tubes:

http://www.buildingabeetle.com/

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

These floor pans appear to include the rear “bulkhead”

(The  first two product links)

http://www.jbugs.com/category/1956-1970-vw-bug-floor-pans.ht ml

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

OK, I’m almost done.

The full floor pan halves definitely include what we are referring to as the “rear bulkheads”

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Floor_pan_halves_for_VW_Volk swagen_Bug_p/floorpanhalves.htm

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And my final comment….

For a kit car based on a production donor chassis, most states use the VIN from the donor chassis when they title the reconstructed vehicle.

VW VIN’s are stamped into thecenter tunnel, near the access panel for theshift rod to transmission connector.

If you can salvage your chassis and keep the tunnel, you are likely in a better postion with respect to your state’s DMV requirements.

Paul Mossberg

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Paul,

Awesome information and links!  This will all be very helpful. Who knows, maybe I’ll start my own web page for this journey.

I did some research before I started all this fun and was able to purchase floor pans with the “bulkhead” included.  So I think I’m good there.

I’ve also found a replacement frame head (front bulkhead) that includes napoleon’s hat as well.  Again, score!

My son assures me that he can patch the tunnel where’s it’s rusted out and recreate the lip for the floor pan at the same time.  What a kid.

After looking over those links you sent and some others I’ve found I’m becoming foolishly optimistic that we can do a Joan Rivers on this thing put all new parts in all the right places.

Also, I found the VIN # and it will not be impacted by an cutting or welding we have to do….as of now.

Again, thanks for the info and feedback.

I wanted to work on some more tonight but my knuckles are so busted up and bloody that I figured I better take a break.  But I’ll…we’ll be back at it by the weekend.

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

By the way, for reference sake, in the picture below the three guys on the right are my sons. 

In front is the welder (youngest), in the middle (the middle son) is the “theme carpenter”, and in the back (oldest) is the computer geek and reading maniac.  The guy on the left is one of their friends.

You’ll see more of them in the coming months so I wanted to introduce them to you.

Oh, and that’s me in the back.  It’s always nice to put an ugly mug with a name.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.