Headlight stone/rock guards

Home Forums General Discussion Headlight stone/rock guards

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Richard Johnson
    Participant

@rrffjj

I have a recently acquired 52TD based on the Chevette chassis. My question probably relates to other models as well. I have the wire mesh type rock guards on my headlights and was wondering what is the proper attachment for them? Mine appear to be held on with a nylon “fishing line” under the rim. Actually only one still has this, the other fell off. Is there a clip of any sort that should be used? Nylon line just doesn’t seem proper, nor does it hold up that well.
    What do others have? Any thoughts, ideas, pics?
    Thanks much

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Richard, The stone guards are attached by metal clips.  The ones on my car use two clips that are attached to two screws that come thru holes drilled in the headlight rim. They run from inside the rim to the outside and use chrome acorn nuts to hold the clips to the headlight rim.

Another type uses clips that simply fit between the rim and the seal beam bulb and do not require drilling any holes. They are available from Victoria British for less than $15.00 a pair for the guards and clips.

Victoria British does not sell parts for TDs,but the guards are that ther list for the MG A will work on the TD as well.

Richard Johnson
    Participant

@rrffjj

Larry, Thanks much for the info. I checked out their site, $11.95 for the guards + $7.75 shipping. I thought shipping was a little high but ordered a set anyway. Mine could use a re-chrome. 

Really enjoy this site, great members, lots of info and assistance.

Thanks again,
    Richard

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Because of this discussion I ordered a set myself. I like the look of stone guards. They were cheap enough, that if they don’t look good or don’t fit, I haven’t lost much.

Richard Johnson
    Participant

@rrffjj

Well the stone guards from Victoria British arrived today, complete with mounting clips. Call me an idiot if you will, but I can see no way possible to mount the guards using the clips provided. To do so would require the rim to have cut outs for the clips. Without the cutouts the rims don’t clamp tightly onto the bulb. Or am I missing something, other than a few brain cells?

I tried to add a photo of the clips but the file was too large. 1.2kb and I don’t know how to reduce it.

If anyone else has used this type of mounting clip, please let me know how it was done. If I/we can’t figure it out I’ll probably ship these back in the next few days.

Thanks again 
    rrffjj40640.6466203704

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Richard,

Had the same problem.  If you hook the clips to the inside of the outer rim of the light they are loose and the guards stick out away from the headlight, right?  You have to take the outer rims off and place the clips between the rims and the body of the light.  They will then fit properly and the guards will snap in tight.  The problem then is that the end of the clips stick up above the headlight a little.  It doesn’t look smooth and you have to be careful not to cut your hand when polishing the lights but there is no other way to get them to fit properly.  I thought about cutting off the stick ups but then they would be likely to not catch the outer rim. I suppose you could bend them down to be tighter against the body of the light, but then the chrome would break at the bend and rust before long

If you’re still not sure what I mean, I will be glad to take a photo for you.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Just received my stone guards today and couldn’t figure out how they would be installed. Googled for some sort of installation guide and found this.

http://www.ocoop.com/mini-stoneguards.htm

Haven’t tried it yet, but will in near future. If you come up with a better way let me know.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Exactly right!  If you look close at the last two photos on that web site you’ll see the little tabs that stick out between the rim and the paint (chrome body on our Deitz style lights)

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Tried installing the stone guards. Once the clips were in I couldn’t get the ring to close. The clips took up too much space. Any ideas?

Richard Johnson
    Participant

@rrffjj

Also, if you look at the trim ring on the Mini it’s deeper than the rings on the TD’s. Not a satisfactory install for us at all. But since I like the vintage look of the guards I decided to keep them and use a “Mickey Mouse” way to attach them. The previous owner of my car had the old stone guards attached with nylon fishing line. The line was attached at 3 points around the guard and tied off to the 3 headlight terminals on the light itself. Even knowing how they’re held on, I can’t tell unless I’m within 2 feet of them.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

I found a way to put the stone guard on using the clips. I had an old Dietz headlight shell and bulb and experimented with it. I cut part of the clip off and 5 minute epoxied the clip to the inside of the ring. Once set, I put the ring on but screw was just a hair short. Found a screw that was a 1/4″ longer and it worked. I’ll post pictures when I get a chance.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Posted pictures to my gallery. pga64

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.