Hello

Home Forums General Discussion Hello

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

I’m a newbie to the TD Replica world. Bought mine a couple of months ago but haven’t run it yet. The PO had it running but did a body-off paint job that involved cutting all the wiring and he couldn’t put it back together. The engine is a 1500 (I think) that has been totally rebuilt and looks brand new.
    Has electronic ignition and disc brakes (front). The body is a beautiful red with tan interior. He had built a mahogany dash but hadn’t cut any instrument holes.
    I have purchased a new wiring harness and a VW fuse box which I am almost finished installing.
    So, about me:
    Name: Mike Neben
    Retired non-profit association executive, still involved as a board member in another non-profit.
    Would like help identifying the maker. I think it’s a FiberFab but not sure.
    Pics of car when put back together.

Also looking for an extension coupler (M10-1.25) for the brake pedal. The one that came with the kit is about an inch too short. Can’t seem to find one that size anywhere and may resort to welding in a 1″ section to the extension tube.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Welcome to the club Mike. Many knowledgeable member’s here and I’m sure someone can help.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome, Mike. 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome to the best club on the planet Mike. We are all willing to help out. Take a look at the forum topic on the first page titled manufacturer’s comparison. There are photos of the different TD manufacturers cars and each is accompanied with a description of that kit. That might help you get a good idea what your TD is.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Welcome.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Welcome Mike

You have come to the right place.

The guys on this forum are brilliant!Smile
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard!

Great place. Great people. And a ton of knowledge!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

Thanks, all. I have been lurking around here for the past month or so and I agree that these are great and brilliant people with hearts of gold. Well, maybe that’s a bit over the top, but I do sense that all of you are willing to lend advice and whatever else is needed.

Looking forward to meeting some of you one day. And still looking for that M10-1.25 coupler for my brake pedal assembly.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

welcome aboard mike.

Phil
    Participant

@phil

” And still looking for that M10-1.25 coupler for my brake pedal assembly.”
    I suggest the easiest way would be to take it to a welder.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Why not make one.  Get a 1″+/- piece of stock, drill and tap it??  

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mike: In your post you said the previous owner had it togeather and running before he took it apart for painting. That indicates it was togeather and fit before. Is it possible that an end piece is missing? The extension for the pedals is a fixed length with vw components on the end. Some adjustment is avilable there.

If Rod is short a new one could be made or current one lengthened.

Have fun and build safe.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m with George on this.

The fewer joints you have, the better.

The brake extension is simply a pipe, with the VW parts screwed into each end. The pedal end is fixed. The stock VW component for the master cylinder end of rod is adjsutable.

I’m betting it would be easier to fabricate a new extension then it would be to modify the one you have.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

Thanks, all. Solved the problem. FOund a source for a coupling nut and installed it. Solid as a rock and the pedal is “right” now.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Love a happy ending!

What’s next on the to-do list?

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.