Here’s my new purchase

Home Forums General Discussion Here’s my new purchase

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Ford based 2.3 automatic that needs some winter effort.  Should make for a nice project. to add to my stable

Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Rob,

Nice looking cars! Good luck and welcome to the club

Bill Hursh NY

Larry
    Participant

@larry

very nice matched set,..

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

WOW! A pair of nice Ford powered British sports cars!

Nice rides…welcome to the FORUM… what’s your location?

What Cobra replica is that? 

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Pink,

I’m North of Boston in Hamilton, Ma.

The cobra represents a 3 year build project.  It’s a very well built Factory Five, built from a 5.0 mustang, first registered in 2005.  Hopefully the MG will run as well when I get done with it although it’ll be 1/3 of the cobra’s power  88 hp vrs 265 🙂

Should be some quality time in the garage this winter.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

We had several FFR Cobras in the New Jersey Replicar Club. We even had the FFR operator, Mark, come to a meeting to speak. He gave us a very detailed and interesting talk about the FoMoCo/Shelby vs. FFR lawsuit that FFR won. The name Cobra actually comes from the original Crosley “sheet metal” engine that was “Copper Braized” and had the Cobra logo on it’s engine. As an amatuer racer in the early 50’s, Shelby had raced Crosley powered sports cars.

There are at least two aftermarket 2.3L “hot rod” vendors. One is Esslinger’s (USAC midgets) and Racer Walsh (Road Course). The “Lima” 2.3L is capable of big HP numbers without much bottom end modification. A local shop here in NJ, Modern Performance, uses turbochargers to make over 500 rear wheel HP in the Merkur XR4Ti, a car that he specialized in. He claims only a piston change and a balance and blueprint to the bottom end made this possible. I suspect it had tons of head work done too. A mild cam, headers and a couple of Webers would wake that little 2.3L right up.

Good luck with those two red beauties.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Pink,

I will not be hotrodding the MG, just going to get it to run and perform well.  The brakes need help (manual) as well as a mutitude of other things that I should be able to overcome.

My wife isn’t wild about the cobra since it’s got a lot of acceleration with 4.10 gears.  It’s clearly a Man’s toy.  We have a pretty active local Cobra group and some have some crazy hp performance numbers.  I’ve taken mine to the track and can live with the 13.2-105 mph time slip.  I hope my friends don’t dis-own me when I show up with a 4 banger

I think my wife is looking forward to a low powered automatic to go on our Sunday drives.  It’ll be just a nice little putt-putt.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I wish I had my 1.6L Chevette powered putt-putt running when gas was over $4.00 a gallon. I was driving my ’89 GMC Suburban!

I am hoping for this summer!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.