Hood Rod

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Hood Rod

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

I’m not sure of the Manufacture of my TD but I think it is Fiberfab. I have “TD” emblems not “FF”.
    Has anyone got any ideas on how to keep the front (and rear) hoods open?
    Right now, I’m using sticks of wood. Not such a problem with the back as they wedge right in there but the front hood is a different situation as a few bruised heads and hands indicate.
    I bought a telescopic rod from MG Magic but I can’t work out how or where it might mount in the front. I’m thinking that an old fashion hood rod with clip that just marries with a bracket put under the hood might work?
    Any ideas or pics would be appreciated (by both my head and hands)

Dick Lemons
    Participant

@sopgravy

This strap was on my car when I bought it. It’s worked very well so far. It could blow closed in a good wind and thump your noggin.

It’s an old seat belt with one end cut and screwed to the metal stiffener on the hood, and the other end riveted to the firewall.

When I get time I think I’ll change it to a smaller 1″ strap. The seat belt is kind of over kill.

This probably would not work with a front engine car. The strap could get against something hot and melt unless located in just the right spot.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That’s the Classic Roadsters Ltd approach. Same set up on my car.

Dick is right about the wind gusts, in theory. But in over 30 years, I’ve never had the hood blow over.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thx Dick and Paul:
    Looks like a simple solution (Why didn’t I think of that).
    I’ll give it a shoot.
    Regs
    dan
    PS: Now have a problem with a cracked windshield – see separate post.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’m using a hinged prop rod from first gen. Cavalier with a plastic retainer glued to hood center. Won’t drop or fall open.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thx Bill:
    That was sort of the way I was thinking. Do you have a picture?
    Dan

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Here you go. I just kept using parts from where I was working at the time.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

The londen roadster came with the strap and it will blow down in the wind. Just wondering has anyone ever forgot to latch it. I think that if you didnt latch it the wind wind would catch it and rip it off

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thx Bill
    The pic helps a lot.
    Dan

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

BCW has both rod and strap

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My fiberfab kit has the rod as an “Optional” part…which I have.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Daytona MiGi:

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi Allen:
    Any idea of a supplier of the Fiberfab “optional” hood prop part?
    I have a telescopic prop from MG Magic but I can see it fitting on my car.
    Thx
    Dan

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Whoops, should read “can’t see it fitting”

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

The hood rod I have was an optional part and came with the kit when I bought the kit from the 2nd owner. (Long story short 1st two owners never built the TD). The original owner purchased several options for the kit. From what I have it doesn’t appear to be very difficult to fabricate. Here’s the link from the download manuals section on the left. Hood Support Rod is on page 72, Figure 77.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hood support rod can be easily made. !/4 ” steel rod a couple of coter pins and a couple of washers. Washers and coter pins needed to attach to body. Holes for coter pins driled in rod . Coter pin installed then a flat washer. Placed in position at bulkhead. Another flat washer then another flat coter pin. Rod also has to be bent at a 90 degree bend. Clip to hold when not in use made from a small piece of flat sheet metal.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

MG Magic has this adjustable slide rod that can be used for either the hood or engine lid…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Got this one from MG Magic but can’t figure out where it would attach
    Any suggestions would be welcome. 😀

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

If your hood has the center chrome strip, attach one end to a mounting bolt/stud for that chrome strip.  Then locate the other end on the firewall based upon based upon the extended length and the angle that you want the hood to stay, when propped up. 

Even if there’s no existing mounting bolt/stud for the chrome strip in a good location, you can use the chrome strip to cover a mounting screw/bolt for the bracket….

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Why do you guys make this so difficult and costly? I like simple and easy (and inexpensive).
    My car came with a hood support rod installed behind the gas tank on the firewall (see pics) but it seemed a little short and there was nothing to connect it to or support it underneath the hood. I glued a block of wood that I had drilled a hole into, to the underneath of the hood and used a length of PVC pipe I had lying around to hold up the hood. The bottom end of the pipe just sits in and wedges into the passenger side corner of the compartment and is very secure and the hood is very stable. When not in use, the pipe lies in the space behind the gas tank and just sits there, not rattling or anything. Nobody sees this arrangement (if you are looking for pure beauty or absolute authenticity) and I don’t think it’s a detraction from the car, it just works. I could have used the rod that’s there and just again glued a block of wood to the underside of the hood, but this time I would not have drilled the hole all the way through, just so that it wouldn’t (unlikely) poke a hole or crack the fiberglass or gelcoat of the hood because of the localized pressure on it.
    I use the same idea, another length of PVC pipe, stored in the boot behind the seats when not in use, to support the rear deck and spare tire if I need to do something in the engine compartment. It also wedges in in appropriate areas and is very secure and once in place, cannot slip.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That’s just about perfect, Marc. Nicely done; unfussy.

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi mrimd:
    Thx for this. I notice the Lion Rampant on the Windshield.
    I’m just off “hame” for a big family reunion. We have rented a castle in the Highlands.
    “Wha’s lik us?”
    Dan

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Was your original rod put in backwards? It would make more sense from the same side you put your PVC rod.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

That’s the way it was when I bought the car. The hinge is on the wrong side for that rod, but I prefer the hinge on the driver’s side anyway.
    I just made the hood support as easy as as inexpensive as I thought necessary, and like I said, it works and works well.

Mark
    Participant

@shakey57

WHERE IS THE GAS TANK ON THIS ONE.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.