Hubcaps and Steering Wheels

Home Forums General Discussion Hubcaps and Steering Wheels

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ecf7734
    Participant

@ecf7734

I don’t own a TD replica. My father is looking at a VW based TD. I have seen many, many TD replicas and while cute they all have the very same mistakes – 1) fake Kmart wire wheel covers (TD’s didn’t have wire wheels unless someone adapted them from a TF at great expense. I have not seen too many of these done. The Kmart covers are as fake as a televangelist’s toupee), 2) small modern steering wheel straight from the JC Whitney catalog (but maybe a Nardi or Moto-Lita would be legit in my book), 3)wood dash (the TD dash was covered in something that looked a lot like the upholstery material but OK, a lot of owners of real TDs have put nice walnut dashs in their cars). The car dad is looking at has these typical things done to it. My questions are,

1)are there any wheel covers that look reasonably like the real TD covers, with the MG logo, that fit vw wheels?Note that the real vw wheels aren’t that different from TD wheels with holes.

2)is there a steering wheel that looks like the old banjo type but fits the vw column?

Thanks. BTW, please quit chroming your grills. Use rustoleum in the same color as your exterior paint, looks just like the original.

I truly love the TD but your replicas would run rings around a real one, especially in the dependability department.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wheelcovers: Original or reproduction TD caps will not fit the VW wheel. I came close (not exact but close) with chrome VW hubcaps, which I drilled to fit the MD wheel centers. You can see them on my car in the photo gallery, PMOSSBERG folder

Steering Wheel – Grant makes a number of banjo type steering wheel and sells a VW column adapter. Close to original, not exact, but probably the closest you will find. Go to http://www.grantproducts.com/ and search for “banjo”

Grills – Chrome slats were avaialble for original TDs. You are right that the standard was painted slats, but not only to match the exterior. They often were matched to the interior of the car.

PMOSSBERG39232.9690277778

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

ecf7734
    Participant

@ecf7734

Thanks Paul, very inventive! Your TD wheel covers look great, much better than the blue light specials everyone else seems to run. I checked out the Grant page and they do have some wheels that are at least evocative of the TD era. Now how about adapting a windshield washer into a little oil dispenser that makes a small puddle under the front of the car when a button is pushed, for the authentic english car experience!  

Cars owned by myself or my dad along the way; Z3 replica on Miata, Riley Elf, 61 Sunbeam Alpine, 1957 oval VW Right Hand Drive w/semaphores and roller bar (if you see one I bet it was mine…), 72 Fiat 850 Spyder, 57 Ford Skyliner, two 450 SL roadsters 20 years apart (both xpensive junk), etc, etc…

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I absolutely hate those wire peices of trash.I have three of these cars and use the slotted VW wheels,flat VW hubcaps,and skinny trim rings.I would like to find the right size MG emblems to put in the center of the VW hubcaps.I run the wood finished dashes just because I like them,and a friend that restores TD”s uses them too for the same reason.I have owned a couple of real TD”s and you are right,these things will run circles around them.I can put my wife in one in the spring and never look at the car until next spring. Mine are all VW powered but I would like to try a pinto powered one.I had a Chevette powered one and hated it.The first replica I had I took in trade on one of my real TD”s.That one had roll-up windows and the doors opened backwards.Liked the way it ran but hated the car itself.I never did know the make of that one but I knew I would never own another like it.The guy that bought it just loved it,so it was a personal thing.I just had to work to get in with the backwards doors.

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

Hey Paul M.   You should make those covers and offer them out ?

They look great good Job    so…Can you make more ???

As for my Horn buton it is a very little black push in button that slips in the dash and lock nuts on the back with two wire connctors for power ..know where I can replace it from..

KEITHOLDCAR…have a photo you can put out, always looking for ideas???

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Moss Motors has the hubcap centers. They are $8.50 each.

See http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/SearchResults.aspx?SearchText =hub%20cap&WebCatalogID=9

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

so I just order those and put on VW hubs is this right?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yup. Splurge on new chrome VW caps, OK?

Find the center and drill a hole. I forget the measurement, but it’s greater than a half inch. That’ll be easy to figure out once you have the parts.

The centers are held on with a cotter pin. You’ll have to put some layers of vinyl or other material between the back of the hubcap and the cotter pin to make sure it holds tight and does not rattle.

PMOSSBERG39232.9651041667

Paul Mossberg

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

You crack me up, you are like having access to a catolog for info !!!

why don’t I fly your here to bring my car up to speed  sounds like you would have it fix up quit nice for me

Thanks again.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

To heck with flying. I’ll drive the MG.

And yes…drive. Even tho I bagged it for Carlisle this year…my TD has been driven from NJ to Indianapolis and to Cincinnatti. In the early nineties a national club called the Specially Constructed Vehicle Association was formed. It lasted about three years. They did two national shows, the first in Cinn. The second in Indianapolis. The latter was great. The show was at Indy Raceway Park, the dragstrip and included a show and an early verison of the Run-N-Gun.

But…we also were given a change to do four laps at Indianpolis Motor Speedway. They were paced…but at a pretty good clip. Amazing time!

PMOSSBERG39232.9685416667

Paul Mossberg

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

Paul,I have tried to post but the site says my pics are too big.They are sized for all the other places I use so I am not going to get them changed just for this.I am a computer idiot so I am not going to try anything with my pics.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Keith,

Different Paul here.

A manual method to resizing pictures, which works on a PC running any version of Windows:

Right click a picture and hover over “Send to” in the list. Sellect Mail Recipient. Your mail client may pop up a window asking if you want to make your pictures smaller or keep them the same size.Click the radio button for “make them smaller”.

They should now appear as attachments to a draft email. From there, right click the attachment and select “save as”. Save the now smaller file back to your desktop; use a new file name, especially if you save them back to the same folder as the original.

These should be well within the requirements of this site for posting.

And nothing will have happened to your original.

If you are running Windows XP, Microsoft has a power toy that adds a resize function. After installing it, when you right click on any image file, you will see an option to resize the picture.

Directions for use are at this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/ learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspxfile ,

The download site is at: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppow ertoys.mspx

You do not have to be a techie to download, install or use this. Just follwo the instructions on the download site.

Paul Mossberg

M Watson
    Participant

@m-watson

Alllllllright!!!!!! finally, some new things to read..Paul W…I see you are doing the research..It helps us all..keep it up!  Paul M..thanks for the info,  I too enjoy your catalog brain…now for a new question, did the real TDs have a stock color wheel or were they painted to match the body, interior, or some other color?    Paul W, I went to the gro store last week and Wendys was hosting a Rod & Custom car show..about 40+ cars there and here I come by in the yellow TDrep and ALL heads turned my way with lots of “thumbs up” from these guys.  Soooo,,, on the way out I swung by the drive thru and let everyone get a closer look..felt really good and lots of smiles were all around..I don’t think anyone knew the difference from real and repro..later..MWatson

Paul Weatherholt
    Participant

@paul

That is great, I went by a hot rod show last week and they liked mine as well and it still needs a lot of work I think so they are lots of fun to drive around.

Paul W…we need a club here in North Ga. !!!!!!

M Watson
    Participant

@m-watson

Hey Paul, I need to get some things done on mine before I take a long trip but I’ll certainly host a get together down this way at the ranch.  Might be a kick off to a small local group…besides, where I live is really easy to find.   West Point Lake and Callaway Gardens aren’t very far away either,  good day trip destinations…give me a call..MWatson

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Oritingla TD Steering wheels were plastic. I believe they were color-coordinated with the interior…but am not sure.

Paul Mossberg

guiman
    Participant

@guiman

I have a similar question, but for the Chevette-based Fiberfab TD. I don’t like the rusty wire-wheel hubcaps installed on the car I’m buying – has anyone figured out which wheels and hubcaps would work on a Chevette to get the (non-wire-wheel) TD look?

Thanks!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Hubcaps and Steering Wheels’ is closed to new replies.