Lafer power window motors

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars MP Lafer Lafer power window motors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

@johntpr

Does anyone know of a source for the replacement Bosch power window motors in Lafers?   It says CHP-12v  9.390.082 060  stamped in the motors. Mine go up extremely slow.  Or can they be rebuilt etc?

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I didn’t even know that was an option. Mine are completely manual, and I’d be happy just finding a source for new rubber bits and vent-window channels.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

To search for Bosch parts numbers, drop the periods.

Bosch parts number cross reference site:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/rennlist-canada/342779 -bosch-parts-cross-reference.html

Not sure this is going to help but…

“CHP” is not part of the part number; it simply means a “continuous horsepower” motor. The “12v” is obvious.

Bosch part number 9 390 082 060 is listed as a WIPER motor, albeit a discontinued part:

http://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/public/catalog/produ cts?p_p_id=BoschWSRP&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=norma l&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_coun t=1&_BoschWSRP_wsrp-urlType=blockingAction&_BoschWSR P_wsrp-navigationalState=%2FWFS%2FAAGLOBAL-AA-Catalog-Site%2 Fen_US%2F-%2FEUR%2FViewSearchProduct-ByNumberTypesWithOrderN umber%3Bpgid%3DD41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8zIxS5lfx%3Bsid%3D o7xMkzWux-NHkntr_TrAaTol6c6EXv6QwHw%3D&_BoschWSRP_proxyp ortlet-remoteInvocation=true

I think your best course of action would be to take the motor into a good parts store and ask the staff to search their own cross reference guides and see what they can come up with.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Most any motor can be rebuilt. 

I would first check to make sure that you are getting the full 12vdc to the motor while it is running.  You can do this by attaching a voltmeter to the wires that go into the motor, after the switch and as close to the motor as possible.  With the meter attached across the leads to the motor, operate the motor and read the voltage.  If it drops significantly then you have a contact or wire problem.  Either one or more contacts are dirty or the wiring to the motor is too small a guage & should be larger (ie, smaller guage number). 

Another way of checking would be to run a 10 guage wire directly from the motor to the battery and see what happens.  If it runs better, then your wire is either too small or you have bad contacts somewhere.  

If these tests show that you have good voltage (amperage) to the motor, then the problem is elsewhere.  It could be that the motor needs new brushes or the commutator is dirty.  Sometimes the brushes can be replaced without dis-assembling the motor, and cleaning the commutator is not too difficult if you can take the motor apart.   If you can not find brushes for your motor, you can make them easily out of larger readily available brush material.  Let us know how you make out.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Just for the record…I can’t believe we’re talking about electric windows for TD replicas!

You Lafer owners are really spoiled! 

And yes, there is a tinge of envy there from the “side curtain” gallery!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john
    Participant

@johntpr

thank you everyone

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I would almost trade my AC for roll-up windows.  Side curtains  .   Of coarse I’ve only put them on once, just to see if they fit.  They did, hope I never need them.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Finding this Lafer was pure luck. I’d never even heard of them, but the owner’s description over the phone was enough to lure me north of Houston to a barn outside Montgomery, Texas. After I’d checked it out and taken it for a drive and we’d agreed on a price and delivery, that’s when he mentioned the glass windows. He said he’d put them on once in seven years, just to see if they fit. I’ve owned it almost five years, and have had them on maybe twice — once to see how they worked, and once after I had a new top made.

But I do feel your pain. I had enough experience with side curtains on my first car, a ’62 Sprite Mk II, to last a lifetime. 

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.