Let's talk tool kits

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Let's talk tool kits

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Chip
    Participant

@chip

Not planning any long trips yet, and have 50 free miles of towing with my insurance, but I always like to be prepared. Please share your basic tool kit, or post links to other threads that may be similar.

(Since my LR doesn’t have a spare tire, I wired an auxillary socket, and carry a very small 12v compressor, plug kit and a can of fix-a-flat.)
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Check John Muir’s Book “How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive”. In the begining of the book it lists the basic tools and then two other sets of tools for medium and major maintenance. Good reference for any VW or VW based kit car.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

The only tool I carry is a screwdriver, so I can take the wind wings off. Only way to get the side curtains on if it rains. I never go more than 50 miles away from home. Have a tow bar system on my LR and the same free tow insurance. Guy next door has a car trailer.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

On your engine cover , does it have the hole’s for the spare tire bracket that is supposed to be on the LR. I have pictures of the spare tire bracket on my gallery pictures.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Just a side note, Have you figured out how to put gas in it without spilling it on the car ?

The side filler is unique to the LR, care must be used to put gas in it.  I have to hold the pump nozzle high and deep in the filler hole. don’t rest on bottom of filler hole like a normal car. Then listen for the gas starting to come up the filler tube and stop before it gusses out. Quite a trick for those of us that don’t hear well and at a noisy gas station.
    Chip
    Participant

@chip

That book sounds like a must-have for me, as I’d like to be more knowledgeable about the car.

Right now, I just have flat head screwdriver for adjusting the roof frame (which I have yet to need up. I have not put the side curtains on, but am a little dissappointed to hear that the wings have to be removed to use. I figured that they would just fold in.

Thanks for the tip on the gas tank. I am 2 for 2 overflowing it, and figured I just had to slow down!
    Chip
    Participant

@chip

Regarding the spare tire mount:

My “trunk” has a fiberglass spare tire holder built in, but it looks like that space is taken up by the air filter. Do others mount their spare tires on the outside of that cover?
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Chip, I have the same tire rig as you albeit with a Dayton MiGi’ and a fake spare.   My spare is under the hood on top of the gas tank.   

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Re removing wings.  Depends on the rig.   I don’t have to remove mine.  

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

chip   the spare tire/bracket fits nicely over the air filter  on my  LR   I  wil send photos tomorrow..

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Chip, just a couple of things ,screw driver might need it for fuel filter a small set of sockets  a cresent wrench. Hagerity insurance 83 dollars per year unlimited tows up to 150 miles they will even tow to your house if after 6pm then pick it up next day an tow to garage. Look at my tire cover 50 dollars

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agree with what Greg said on tools. I would add a pair of vice grips, small amount of mechanics wire, a small amount of electrical wire. I would also add a fan belt, a set of points, a condencer,and a set of plugs. A multimeter would also be nice. A cheap one from a tool place would be good. Space taken is small and could save a long wait for a tow.

I have above stored in a box in a storage space on passenger side of car. Storage space is about 22 inches deep and about 18 inches wide. Below dash on floor. It has a door on it and can’t be seen unless you really are looking for it.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

One more thing to carry is some chemical wipe hand cleaner. good to clean hands after a tire change or troubleshooting problem. Also a liquid refreshment to cool off. Might be warm but still would be good.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Chip, Allen (Newkitman) said it!  Get John Muir’s “How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive”.  The list in the book is very complete.  And, you might want to put the book in the car also.  It’s fun reading.  There are about 30 copies for sale on eBay now.  

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Grorge,Whats this about a storage area on the passenger side.I don’t seem to have one.Is this true of london roadster or vw kits the only storage i know of is behind the seat where top folds in,up front in the trunk,and a little area under the seat where i store my jack.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greg: The storage area was  made in area in front of firewall on passenger side of car. Normally it is wasted space. It is in area created when drivers position moved back.

Door was made to cover hole cut in firewall. It is somewat ackward to get to but it is out of the way untill it is needed. No manual covers the hidden space a small area where originally passengers feet would be in original VW.
    Chip
    Participant

@chip

All good info. Thanks for contributing.

Interested in seeing picks of spare tire mounts, especially on LRs. How the heck do i see the pics in someone’s “profile”?
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Chip-I will send pic of bracket tomorrow morning in good light ..sorry I got distracted doing fun projects on the LR. I took out the gawd awful looking radio ..and put a MG Octagon motif blank .

Also just got an old MG TD Glove box door from eBay that I may use.

also installed an old British AA motoring club badge from another car I owned back in the 60’s

jebarry2012-09-11 19:29:13

Royal
    Participant

@royal

John, not trying to hijack this thread but, one of my upcoming projects is to install a glove box.  Would send me a tracing of the door?  Or if  you don’t want it, I may want to purchase it.  

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looking good, John! Very legit with that wheel.

Roy: I have a TD dashboard & glovebox door. I will make you a tracing of the door if you’d like. Be aware though that some of our members who have made glove compartments had to monkey with the measurements a bit to make them work with their replica.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy- I will be happy to send a tracing- This door’s wood is pretty deteriorated ..but I will just restore the wood’s integrity with West System and re canvas it and use it as is –The dash is thin so I may use a flex trim or pipping for the dash cut-out. or just  install it as you see it  here (but in the proper location).the jury is still out on what I will actually

do. I will be happy to send the tracing with the bead set attached on the door .

btw got this on Ebay I was the only bidder.

Also I thought of yo ..I saw some wire wheel knock off hubs on eBay
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx Ed .. I look forward to catching up with you in a few weeks

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.