london roadster for sale

Home Forums General Discussion london roadster for sale

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Ebay right now  london roadster for sale  under replicas

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

very nice worth the asking price ? 

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

There are 2 for sale on ebay right now

other one is in texas  

Item number: 300755895632

item  300755895632

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Clean looking car; got the special front suspension, lots of storage. Priced about double market though. See a lot listed for $7-$10g. Not so many sell for that much. 

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

The Nice thing I have found about My London Roadster Olive  is that it was  factory built …and all things being equal  there weren’t any short cuts  in the assmble that I can see.

And the basic assemble  is standard  from car to car. Mine has a fctory built chassis which I am happy with .

jebarry2012-08-09 21:35:25

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

John, I agree with your comments about London Roadsters. I’ve had mine since 1994 and have had very few problems with it. LR has one of the nicest interiors of any kit cars that I have seen with quality vinyl  on the seats,door panels,kick panels and even part of the area behind the seat. Even  the  carpeted trunk area is trimed  and the flat gas tank beneath the trunk floor allows lots of useable space.   Pretty good side curtain design as well. I just wish they had not put the gas filler on the side of the hood . A real MG grille would have been nice too.

That white one may be over priced, but it does look really nice. We’ll have to see if it sells for anywhere close to what they are asking.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hope no one took offense. None was implied.

Chip
    Participant

@chip

Here I am….the guy that bought that LR that started this thread. I’m sure some of you figured I’d show-up sooner or later!

Car is being delivered Thursday night, and I can’t wait to get her on the road.
    Seems like many of you know a lot more about “my” ride than I do, so please feel-free to clue me in on the important stuff.
    I’ll be searching the site, but if anyone wants to answer thre following questions, that’d be great:

– Are LR’s built on a custom frame/chassis, or did they use the VW?
    – If this is a stock LR, what size wheels does it have?
    – From looking at the pics on eBay, do you think I’ll be able to carry a spare tire in the rear, or is that space taken up my the motor?
    – Do these use 12v electrical systems?
    Any common pitfalls I should lookout for?

Thanks!
    Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

As I understand it , the London Roadster can be built on a steel chassis or a VW pan.

It should have 15 inch rims, please check the tire code to make sure the tires are not really old and unsafe.  They can look like new but still would be unsafe if too old.

the spare tire is carried in the rear , but yours has a tire cover , I do not see the mounting bracket that holds the spare. In  my gallery I have pictures of the bracket.

I have a 1986 and it is a 12V. could have been converted. Battery is under the seat.

Most common pitfall with any replica is getting it registered. DMV’s vary state to state.

Nice to see another LR in the group.  If you have any other question’s , ask away.

Dick

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Hey Chip, Welcome aboard.  You’ll have a great time with your LR and we look forward to your questions.  I will leave any LR specific answers to one of our LR owners.  The only thing that I could see wrong with your new ride is that it is too nice.  What are you going to “tinker” with?  Good luck and don’t forget to check the tire codes (if 3 digit, they are too old, if 4 digit, the first 2 are the week and the last 2 are the year of manufacture).  Other than that I would pull and repack the front wheel bearings and check the brake shoes were it mine.  It will have about a 10 gallon tank.  If it’s not full, I would drain it and refill with new fuel.  I would do the same with the oil (drain collecting the old stuff for examination, change the filter screen and refill – aby 2.5 qts)(Please don’t use a Jiffy Lube kind of place).  I use 10W30 Valvoline Racing oil (high zinc).  Then drive it as much as you can.  You are in for a new experience – answering questions from admirers.   I own a Daytona Migi, which has a lot in common with your LR.  

Roy, (Hey, if you’re from RI, you must know my friend George?:-))
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Chip, i also have a london roadster.In New York State in order to register it you have the weight,they want a computer print out of the weight .I took mine to a local gravel pit  the weight was 1840lbs.The only problems i have had is fuel delivery(fuel pump),healey coil(blew out a spark plug) and wheel bearing.Any numbers you might need to obtain parts .Just ask.If you need any history of car its  hard to find . Car was made in Dearborn Michigan.The Owner of the company was  Stevenison.The fredom of information act is a good source for history of it.(there is a form on line) good luck hope to here all good things.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Chip. welcome aboard..You will love your LR. The guys here are the best ..very helpful answering all your questions.

Chip
    Participant

@chip

Thanks Gents.

I am hoping that since it is titled as an ’85, and presently registered in another state, that the process will not be TOO bad….but we’ll see on Friday.

After talking to the elderly former owners, she seems like she has had recent service, and has been on the road regularly, but I will surely be doing the routine maintenance stuff right away. The fact that these are so easy to work on was a real big draw, but I am fortunate to be friends with a VW guru. He owns a shop that basically just restores/sells old bugs, buses, dune buggies, things, etc. (as well as Porsches, Audis, etc). He will be invaluable, as for the time-being, I havbe no idea what I am looking at, and he will be able to educate me quite a bit.
    Regarding the tinkering, or lack thereof, needed: THat’s one of the reasons I got such a well put together one….I can never find anytime to put around the garage anymore. So much so, I actually just sold my motorcycle, which is something I thought I would NEVER do, but I was never riding, and felt she didn’t deserve to be garage-bound. One of the reasons I never rode anymore was that when I did have a free day, I felt bad blowing-off the wife all day, as she wasn’t big into riding. Now, with the LR, we’ll be together, AND as bonus, she is looking forward to taking it to work once in a while.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard Chip!

Glad to have you join our little family!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Chip, one other thing your car likely has a jellcoat finish this is what they put on boats for protection against bumping into docks.The upside is it won’t scratch easily(i dropped a tool on it .no mark)The down side is. I have found nothing that works io bring a dull finish back.I’m told you have to wet sand and buff.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Two words – Boat Polish. All those fiberglass boats don’t stay shiny on their own!

Search the forum, you’ll find several threads discussing how to bring gelcoat back to life.

Meguairs has an excellent line of rubbing compound, polish and wax formulated for gelcoat.

PMOSSBERG2012-08-29 16:51:42

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome aboard, Chip! That’s a sweet looking ride and it’s a real bonus that you have a VW guru for a friend.

Also great to hear she was driven. That should make the sorting out and maintenance much easier than if she was sitting.

Have fun, and keep in touch.

BTW, where abouts in RI are ya? Many moons ago I lived in Newport & worked for the ProJo.

Chip
    Participant

@chip

Thanks again for the welcome, advice, and words of enthusiasm.

She is supposed to be delivered tonight…so I am sure this day will drag!!

I am in Cumberland, but do find myself in Newport often. Looking forward to turning some heads on Thames and America’s Cup!
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Chip,

Yes.. you will turn many  heads in Newport

especially during the Jazz festival!
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.