"MG" horn ?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits "MG" horn ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

Hi Folks, any suggestions on a replacement horn ? My existing one ( likely VW ) is getting weak. The hi/lo set of originals are quite expensive and I am not sure which of the air horns or electric replacements would sound “right”. Any ideas ? Thanks, Rollie

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Rollie

Welcome to the group.

I go by if they can’t see me, they sure should hear me.  I’ve got a set of air horns with on board compressor that’s loud enough to peel paint at close range.   Is it “right”?  No.  Has it saved my bacon? Yes.

If my wife would let me, I’d have ’em in all my vehicles. Too many people driving around in sound proof cocoons for my liking.

Ringo

Ringo40008.5524421296

gil goltz
    Participant

@sarge

Same here. One toot and its sounds like a train is coming. Gets their attention quickly. $49 mounted under hood out of sight.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Ringo/Sarge,

Yeah, I recently experienced that “horn”. Went to take a left turn and left PLENTY of room cars to go around me on the right. But, some TD enthusiast in a big truck hit the air horn just as he came along side. Thought I might have to replace the driver’s seat!  It did get my attention though.

Rich

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Rollie, These car are not real TD’s and never will be (Thank GOD!). We all make them “ours” by the little modifications we do to them. So, they don’t have to sound “right”.

PUT THE LOUDEST FREAKING HORNS YOU CAN FIND ON THE CAR!

I got a set that sounded like a 60’s Cadillac at Pep Boys…FIIA? They were plastic and are now on Larry Murphy’s car. They are LOUD!!!

I have the same set on my 1940 Ford Streetrod. I think they were $29.95 at Pep Boys.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have air horns on my Duchess too. And they are external, mounted on the left side panel. I want to be heard!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Guys

I got to thinking about the wife saying no air horns on the other cars.  The last time she popped a hood was 1996!

I’m puttin’ air horns on all of ’em!!!  Always thought louder was better and she won’t know until she uses it, then she’s bound to like it……. Right?… 

Later

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Rollie

With all this talk, we haven’t given you any sources…Try this

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Air-Horns/GP_2008997_N_111+10201+60 0002553_10101.jcw

One of these sets is on my Duchess.  (I’m ordering 3 more) see above post

Ringo40008.8313773148

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

Wow ! You all have the situation covered ! Air horns it is ! Thanks for the source also. Will order them tonight. These cars are so much fun, both to drive and to work on. Thanks a lot, Rollie

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

An SUV cut right in front of me and could not hear my original horn, so I got some air horns. Mine are very long twin chrome trumpets that I got at a trucker supply. My car sounds like a tractor trailer rig now. It takes about a second or less for the compressor to build up enough to kick the horns. It’s also great for clearing birds from trees, miles ahead . I kept the original horns for in town driving, don’t want to knock any pedestrians over. The 18″ horns are under the hood.

James

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

I got the J C Whitney horns and they are SUPER ! I drove around all afternoon , hoping someone would cut me off, darn, no luck. Thanks for the tip ! Rollie

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Glad it worked out Rollie. Heck, just give ’em a blast each time you leave or return to your home. Your neighbors will love you for it!Ouch

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

CoffeyD
    Participant

@coffeyd

Air Horns are the way to go . I mounted mine in the hood area of my ford powered MGTD. Truck horns with oversized air pump, they shake the car.

Also electronic horn and a 80 watt siren driver. When you re this small you need to be loud.

Remember the movie THE MOUSE THAT ROARED

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Questions for you horn officiandos. Do you recommend the “Ahoooga” air horn or the standard air horn? I’m thinking the dual chrome air horn kit from MG Magic. I have a dual air horn set but one of the plastic horns has a long crack in the bell and one doesn’t work. Also, do you have a separate button for the air horn or just run the horn from the steering wheel horn button?
    I’ve got the FL VW Bug Jam coming up in two weeks and ya just never know what I might come across.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

If I heard the “ahoooga” I’d be looking around for a Model T, mine are the loudest air type I could find at the time.  When they go off EVERYONE looks and moves.   

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Allen I have the ahooga type horn on mine and although it is not extremely loud  the sound is so out of place it seems to get everyones attention. Kids love it and I have to admit I am a large child and like it too. I have been giving thought to adding airhorns, wiring them to the center horn button for ease of reach and putting the klaxon type horn on an additional button for the fun toots.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I just picked up a double air horn, chrome plated and will have fun trying to install it.  the current horn center cap keeps falling off of my whimpy one right now.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

You can also go with a Stebel air horn or one of the knockoffs from Harbor Freight or Advance Auto Parts or any similar store. I have them on my motorcycles and they are LOUD, 139db, and a very valuable safety item, especially in these little plastic cars. They can be mounted under the hood by the front grill, or outside if you want. The whole thing is one small unit, either black plastic or chrome and there is no lag time or delay in the horn when you hit the button. For most of these type things you need a relay connected to the horn button (which comes in the kit), and a separate 20 amp fuse, otherwise you will fry your horn wiring and stock fuse as they draw 15-20 amps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting comments.

Yesterday I removed the steering wheel from my car and found a wire going through the center of the shaft, presumeably to operate the horn.  I tried to find the other end of this wire but never did.  Can someone tell me where the wire exits the shaft?

Jack

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

The wire down the center of the shaft IS for the horn and believe it or not its the ground wire. (In VWs BROWN is ground.) It grounds through the steering shaft. Way down on your steering box is the flexible “rag” joint. You have to add a second. Both those joints MUST have a jumper from one side of the joint to the other for the traditional VW horn system to work..

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, so the wire comes out of the shaft and goes to the negative side of the horn.  I think I’ve got it.  Thanks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.