MG Magic Tops

Home Forums Classifieds VW Parts Wanted MG Magic Tops

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Does anyone have any experience with using the MG Magic convertible top on a FiberFab TDR? I’m about ready to put a top on, but after my experience with the so-called “professionals” here, I think I’d rather just buy the top and put it on myself. But there is a potential problem. MG Magic says my bows need to be mounted to the inside, and instead I put the mounting brackets on the top of the sides. I know this would make the MG Magic top too short, but I can’t really move the brackets because of interference with the seat, and I was thinking I could just cut down the bows a little to make up for it. But if you experts think this would be a bad idea, I’ll scrap it and just get screwed by another upholsterer. The last one I talked to wanted $1000 and for me to wait six weeks.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I would suggest calling them for advice. I’ve called them many times and they are a very nice and patient bunch.
    You may be able to as you think, be able to shorten your bows by a smidgen on both sides, and use trial and error. Small amounts at a time.
    They also sell the bows,just in case.

Amor Conquista Todo

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

My bows have a Y or T joint where they meet up and have a set screw so you can adjust. 

Maybe you can just loosen the set screw – otherwise cut it off a bit and do the fine adjustment with the set screw. Measure twice – cut once.
    crash55
    Participant

@crash55

do you have your old top ? if so I’ll look up the guys that did mine they were about 200 bucks cheaper than mgmagic  they are here in Pittsburgh ,pa

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Hey Crash55 I wonder if they would take a mail order? 🙂 I could send them my top. It has shrunk a little but at that price it might be worth the gamble.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I looked into MG magic for a new top e mailed back and forth decided it would be a pain in the ass . Do you have any boat canvas people or amish canvas shops they could do it right and probably cheaper. I had a boot made by local amish for 40 bucks . NICE

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

I may have the problem solved.  The upholsterer who abandoned me and my car and took my money did start on a top before all that happened.  So, I have a shell of a top that has the top and front seams in it, a window, and a basic shape.  What it needs is to have someone seam the side edges and put some kind of canvas edging on the bottom that can be used to put the snaps in.  Fortunately a neighbor does upholstery work on the side and I grabbed him off the street yesterday while he was walking by, and showed him my problem.  He doesn’t do this kind of upholstery work, but with 1000 disclaimers about how he doesn’t do this kind of work and can’t do a professional job, he agreed to put in the side edges and bottom edging, and to help me put in the snaps.  After the “professional” work I’ve had, I’m more than happy to accept his “amateur” work.  It can’t possibly be worse than the s*** I have endured with the so-called professionals around here.  Of course, since this is just his sideline, I’m at the mercy of his schedule, but he was talking about a week or so, which is actually light speed to get anything done around here.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

I sent you a pm

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

crash55 wrote:
    I sent you a pm

I didn’t receive it.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

sorry I sent 1 to Dbanta about tumacscovers that did my top

Paris vonRabenau
    Participant

@pariscope

Did you ever get your top on?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.