MGTD Ute

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits MGTD Ute

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

Hey Guys,

Been a while since I posted on this site. Thought you might like to see the latest project.

Started with a MGB that had been total lossed by a retaining wall. Built a tube chassis to fit the TD
    glass body ……. found out that the rear spring perches were to high up to mount the fuel tank properly.

Soultion ….Build a Pickup!

Features Triumph TR4 wheels , home built hood sides & bed. Also features a Farmall Cub headlight for backup light. Ford model A tail lights.

I have several parts left over from the VW kit …. encluding a new top & side curtians (I do mean NEW)
    hood sides a complete set of fenders…… latches & hooks …….. Fiberfab VW kit.

Yes it is a blast to drive ……..I plan to letter it up like the Moss Motors pickup soon.

Email jsaunders9@triad.rr.com
    or call 336-953-6459    central NC location.
    /Users/jimsaunders/Desktop/PU side.jpg

Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Cool!Thumbs Up

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Absolutely love it!

We’ve posted these before. Were they your inspiration?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Amor Conquista Todo

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

very cool .. looks like John-Boy Walton should be driving:-)Thumbs Up

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Great work on that! I guess it’s like the old saying, necessity is the mother of invention. Those Ford taillights go very well with it.

Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

Yes , the Moss Motors TD Pickup was my inspriation …… matter of fact it is now lettered for Moss Motors as I own a small Sign company!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

THAT… is awesome!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You should send those pics to Moss.

Bet they’d love ’em.

Paul Mossberg

Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

Sent pictures to Moss ……. Haven’t heard anything yet. I bet that being a kit car based truck they will decline a story.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

You could’ve lettered up with the TDReplica.com logo.

It does look cool, though. Good work.Clap

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I dunno. It’s a B at heart. B engine? I think they’ll get back to you with a green light and a request to run the pics. Spectacular tribute, whatever they say.edsnova2015-10-23 20:31:35

Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

Yes , all MGB running works. Get it worked on at any BMC shop using Moss Motors parts.
    I like to take old British cars and recycle them into something cool and useful. The kit car bodies lend themselves
    To being made into some totally new.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Beautiful work there, Jim, especially on that hood and the bed. Is it strictly a top-down ride, or do you have a top as well?

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

That is really awesome!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

I do have a top, but I do not plan to use it. Do you need it?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Not until you need it.

Coming home from Carlisle this year I was glad I had it. Ditto three years ago. In July, 2013, heading home from a trip to Pittsburgh for part of the Vintage Grand Prix, Karen and I were caught in a cloudburst while pulling out of the parking lot at Falling Water. 
    We used our handy canvas top, and we stayed pretty much dry.
    So, no. You don’t need a top. But they’re good to have.
    Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

I think you misunderstood, I do not plan to use the top …… I plan to sell it and the side curtains …..do you or anyone you know need them?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ed understands. It’s not that you’re not planning on using it, but if you sell it, there’ll come a time you’ll wish you had it with you. Murphy’s Law.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

With a convertible, every five or eight years, you gotta spend $800 or something like that on a new top. That’s just how it is. 

If you don’t do that, you don’t have a convertible. You have an open car. 
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

who needs a top I live on an island  at  the  beach 😉 ..and only  bring it out when I have to do a road trip .

my top  is 30 yeas old …its a survivor  i guess … btw actually we have roadsters if you dont have roll up windows ..

jebarry2015-10-25 13:17:36

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

No, my top is only 6 years old, thanks, and as I keep the car garaged year-round it still looks new. I think Steve in Illinois might be on the market for one, though. He posted a day or so ago about losing his plastic window to age.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Jim saunders
    Participant

@jsaunders

I am a builder …… I will sell the truck in the near future to fund the next project. I have a crazy need to build cars that I can not keep for storage reasons. If you can’t store it inside……you don’t need to keep it.
    I have recently been working on Morgan 3 wheel replicas that are Honda powered. I plan to peruse that avenue in the future.attached is my first attempt.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Very nice. Is that a v-twin, Honda Shadow engine?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.