MGTDr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Looks like that one is gone already.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Guys

The interesting thing to me when reading the Classifieds is the variation in price the “real” TDs range from $15k ish to over $30k. With the real thing obviously a great deal depends upon condition the quality of any restoration work etc etc. But where do we as TDR owners stand just how are they valued, by the same rules, quality of the work that has gone into the car etc? You can find TDRS for sale from $2500 to $14k ish. I would like to see a $14k TDr. I have no doubt that you could invest that kind of money into a TDr with ease having the work done by a good shop etc. I was quoted $5k just to paint mine. Its not happening! That’s what I paid for the car. So I wonder how Haggerty etc come up with some of those numbers. Haggerty are tops in my book, after my recent issue they treated me very very well and nothing was to much trouble for them to help me with my claim.  

John the Brit 

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

John,

I know the feeling, I’ve already put $35K in mine, and I’m still doing things.  I could probably get $15K out of it if I’m lucky.  You’re right on the repainting, it cost me $5k.  I guess we’re all a little bit crazy about something in our life.

Bill

Bad Bill

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Value on a replicar is very subjective. Some of the pan-based Speedsters are changing hands for more than $20,000. Some of the custom tube-frame versions go for $60,000 or more. Of course, now that the car they replicate (and replicate quite well) auctions regularly for more than $300,000, even $30k starts to look like a deal, if you can forget it’s basically just a rebodied Bug.

The Speedsters and Spyders are currently king, in terms of “kit car” price. Cobras are a close second, again owing much to the fact that they’re million-dollar vehicles if legit.
    Our rebodied Bugs and what-have-you are less auspicious. Since a “real” TD is only a $20,000 proposition, and has been forever with virtually no inflation, the old kits change hands for $2-$4k.
    You do get what you pay for though. Rusty floor pans, dodgy electrics, very modest engines and brake systems that need overhauling are common features of a used TDr. Then there are the little things that were built-in to the 1980s way of kit building. If you intend to drive a VW-based TDr expect to do some fun and greasy front-end work to correct the stupid and dangerous “cut-and-turn” front-end lowering technique most kit builders specified.
    I paid $3500 for mine in 09. It rode and drove just fine and needed only tires, brakes, carpet, horn, brake lights, instrumentation, a fuel tank clean-out, new front axle beam and serious rust repair to the frame head (which it is currently undergoing). I went the extra mile with a new and improved dashboard, Brooklands windscreens, Bluemels steering wheel and a new engine and transmission. I’ve got to have at least $10k in her by now and it’ll be a strange day on the used car lot when someone really, truly, offers that kind of scratch for this kind of car. 
    Bottom line: TD-shaped cars are not investments.
    The MGA, on the other hand . . . .

edsnova2015-05-28 22:23:47

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’ll “give up” my TDr Duchess for only $10k.
    Totally sorted. 1776. No problems. Been running since 1982!
    Looks even better now than when I built her.

The line forms to the left.  😉

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Paul

I have been doing some decoding of my car and have verified that the fame is indeed a 68. The mechanics seem to all be from a 71 car, certainly the Engine and Tranny is. The front end also looks like a 71 when I compare parts fitted to the parts book.

Hmmmm John the Brit

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Others may know the year by year changes better than I do, but I’d think the ’68 and ’71 front ends would be the same.

Finally looked to see where Vail AZ is. TUrns out I’ve been nearby a lot. My uncle used to live in Green Valley.

PMOSSBERG2015-05-29 09:39:55

Paul Mossberg

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Pretty sure Paul’s right.
    But, you should be careful and wary of the possibility that the prior owner may have changed things: Two years ago, I pulled my ’69 engine and when I went to install my new ’69 clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out, discovered the tranny to be a ’71. Had to return and reorder – lost almost 2 weeks.

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Guys

I think this is going to be a case of documentation in that whatever I do I shall take notes of what parts fit what and any relevant part numbers. I would still like to find the body number, no idea where to look.

John the Brit

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Paul

Vail is pretty spread out, im about 30 miles from downtown Tucson. Pretty much out in the desert just off 10. Green valley is close as you say. Well its in the area anyway. I hope to see some of  you guys later in the year.

John

Anonymous
    Inactive

John: Good idea to keep log of what parts are used and part numbers. Also pictures are also a good idea.

Some Body numbers are located on the firewall. Good luck finding it. Chassis number located by cover plate for shift coupler at rear about 22 ” from shifter. Some times numbers are covered with paint or have been removed. My Lafer engine serial number is not to be found. Can’t tell what size engine it is will have to open it up to be sure of size..

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Thanks George,

Im on the hunt! I have the bug frame # and obviously the Engine # etc. Some manufacturers did not stamp the engines they sold new as just the engine. I wonder if  that is what happened in your case? 

Regards John

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.