My NEW Ride

Home Forums Picture Gallery Other Kit Cars My NEW Ride

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

After looking and pondering it over, I pulled the trigger and purchased this

http://gatewayclassiccars.com/nashville/1938/bugatti/tribute-S230.html

I dealt with Cody Jones, a truly super guy.

I’d tow it behind my car, but it’s been POURING down rain,so I’m arranging for a closed truck to ship it from Nashville. My quote was less than $500.

CAN’T WAIT for it to get here!

Amor Conquista Todo

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Wow! Very Nice! I have always liked those. Definitely open air driving! Enjoy!!

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Cool!

Congratulations!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Nice!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That looks like fun!

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Beautiful!

Coincidentally, early this afternoon before we knew of Steve’s purchase, Happy Jack mentioned to me that he might be interested in buying a Bugatti.  His BCW TDr Weber installation is complete (with the exception of a few minor tweaks), but that is Jack’s story so he should tell it.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very sweet👍

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Nice car.  Should be lots of fun to drive.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Nice toy, though I think climbing in and out would be a challenge for me some days!

When do we get an update from Happy Jack and Roy, the barn-storming duo? 😂</span>

Beautiful! Coincidentally, early this afternoon before we knew of Steve’s purchase, Happy Jack mentioned to me that he might be interested in buying a Bugatti. His BCW TDr Weber installation is complete (with the exception of a few minor tweaks), but that is Jack’s story so he should tell it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by KentT.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Interesting that another one of these would turn up, since I’d never heard or seen one of them before Steve’s post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-/272345060298?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f6907d3ca:g:jvkAAOSwZVlXqk2v&item=272345060298

The ad says it is here in Las Vegas, so if any member is interested in buying it and needs me to take a look — or to recommend a decent VW mechanic (well, so far), let me know.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

There are currently two Bugatti tributes on eBay; one in Las Vegas, the other in southern CA. Since I’m in Ill. either would have meant a flight west, plus hotel, car rental, etc. just to look at them. Both are priced to sell. The one in CA was listed earlier for $8000+, so they’ve relisted it at a lower reserve. They have some nice features, and thought about them, but wasn’t up to taking any chances. Really liked Gateway’s ad. Very in depth.

I got the title on Saturday,and spoke to the shipper on Friday, they said it should be on it’s way today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Amor Conquista Todo

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I like your new car, mostly for its boat tail, but what were they thinking when putting shag carpet in it!? Sound deadening maybe?

Looks like a better body design than those other two on ebay, although at only $4500 for the one in Vegas sure would tempt me if in that area. And I don’t have space for another car. The “100000 miles” on it makes me wonder about the “1963” engine and transmission though.

I’m not a fan of fenderless roadsters but I’m not too keen on the look of the suspended fenders either. Yours does have a classy appearance with them and if it were mine I wouldn’t want to remove them.

Sure wish I had a boat tail to interchange on my TDr! Except I guess it might be too odd-looking with one.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I like the Ebrake lever. It’ll be interesting to know if it operates only the rt brake or if it works both brakes.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Well, well, well.

If you had only waited a couple weeks, you could have picked up an original 1931 Type 51 for only $4 million! I bet you feel pretty silly now!  😀

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/08/23/1931-bugatti-type-51-sells-for-4-million-setting-record-for-the-model/?refer=news

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Great article. I love that the Miller (later Miller-Offenhauser) engines were running dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder and boost during the Prohibition Era. Kind of puts into context the 1988 Olds Quad 4, eh?

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!! 😡

And I DO have that extra garage space! 😀

It is a very good article, though.

Amor Conquista Todo

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Well after  waiting through weeks of rain, paper work and other delays, I finally had the opportunity to take the Bugatti 35 out for a drive. Even though both the LR TDR and Bugatti use the same engine, drive train, steering and underbody, It is TOTALLY different driving the two. The shifting on the Bugatti is very vague, it may just need a new shifter. The steering is rather squirrelly, but it’s just that the front is VERY light. They also both sound completely different due to the two different kinds of exhaust used; but that’s not an issue. The emergency brake seems to work both left and right.

I’ve posted pics under my profile and on our Flickr.com page.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by scubasteve.

Amor Conquista Todo

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Enjoyed the photos. Both cars look great.

I noticed light-colored edging on the TD’s fenders.  Is it paint or moulding or …….?  I think it looks good.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Before buying a shifter, I would investigate:

(a) the mounting of the shift rod tube bracket inside the tunnel to make sure the bracket is secure

(b) the plastic/nylon bushing that the shift rod slides in, inserted in that brscket, and

(c) the condition of the coupler where the shift rod connects to the transmission – it has rubber inserts that deteriorates

A new shifter will reduce the distance you need to move the lever,  and make the shifting action feel firmer, but they really do little to eliminate sloppiness – that’s typically caused by something loose or worn elsewhere.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Enjoyed the photos. Both cars look great. I noticed light-colored edging on the TD’s fenders. Is it paint or moulding or …….? I think it looks good.

Thanks for the compliments. The edging you see is some very fine pin striping. I’m not sure if it was stock or added later, but I think it adds a lot to the car. I like it, too.

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I second Kent’s shifter diagnosis. If you’ve never replaced a shift rod bushing, we’ll describe the fun & try to help.

The squirrelly front end might be any of the various bushings, ball joints and steering knuckles. Could be the dampener too. Check all that if you haven’t yet. But often that feeling is gotten because:

1. the tires are old;
    2. the tires are over-inflated. (15 pounds or less for this application. I’d start with 12);
    3. the alignment is off–usually toe-in has somehow become toe-out; and/or
    4. there is not enough positive caster. A $10 set of VW caster shims between the frame head and the bottom tube of the beam will improve almost any Bug-based car that lacks them.
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I second Kent’s shifter diagnosis. If you’ve never replaced a shift rod bushing, we’ll describe the fun & try to help. The squirrelly front end might be any of the various bushings, ball joints and steering knuckles. Could be the dampener too. Check all that if you haven’t yet. But often that feeling is gotten because:

1. the tires are old;
    2. the tires are over-inflated. (15 pounds or less for this application. I’d start with 12);
    3. the alignment is off–usually toe-in has somehow become toe-out; and/or
    4. there is not enough positive caster. A $10 set of VW caster shims between the frame head and the bottom tube of the beam will improve almost any Bug-based car that lacks them.

My mechanic pointed out the steering coupler is in bad shape and unless I want to wind up upside down in a cornfield I should replace it ASAP. I’ve been to several websites and there are couplers for both Bugs and vans. Any suggestions which I need? Since they are in the $9-$15 price range I guess I COULD get both and see which fits, but that seems like a waste. Anyone ever replace theirs and which did you use?

Before buying a shifter, I would investigate: (a) the mounting of the shift rod tube bracket inside the tunnel to make sure the bracket is secure (b) the plastic/nylon bushing that the shift rod slides in, inserted in that brscket, and (c) the condition of the coupler where the shift rod connects to the transmission – it has rubber inserts that deteriorates A new shifter will reduce the distance you need to move the lever, and make the shifting action feel firmer, but they really do little to eliminate sloppiness – that’s typically caused by something loose or worn elsewhere.

I did some Dick Tracy detective work and found pieces of the shift rod bushing in the tunnel under the shifter, so I’m going to start there. I’m ordering a rebuild kit and see if that doesn’t help. I’ll keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the input.

Amor Conquista Todo

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

For the steering couplers use the VW couplers for your year VW chassis. You need two of them PLUS each needs a wire from one side of the coupling to the other side. Without the wires your horn won’t work.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

What’s this now? TWO steering couplers? Why?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My assembly manual (CMC/Fiberfab) calls for a coupler at the steering box end of the steering extension and another one at the other end of the steering extension where the steering shifty connects. Check out page 45 in the CMC/Fiberfab manual. They keep the old steering coupler and add a new one. I played it safe and used two new steering couplers. Figured building a new kit I might as well.

Allen Caron

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.