Need ignition parts help

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Need ignition parts help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Tried to get standard new stuff for my new acquisition, Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. You know the standard stuff. Got home with a bag full of stuff for a 1971 VW bettle with a AE engine code and cap, rotor is NOT a match. We started looking in the parts books and VW ran AE for quite a while but all AE used a different cap/rotor than I have. Can anyone help out?

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Can’t read the data plate, but that appears to be a Bosch 009 distributor, not the original one…

009s are fully centrifugal advance, and are a common performance upgrade.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Bosch
    0 231 129 019

Says the tag on the distributor. Parts store could not use that number to sell me a cap and rotor.

Jeff

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

OK, it’s an 019 instead of a 009 distributor.  Unless I’m mistaken that distributor was originally used on old VW vans/busses, while the 009 was for stationary power plants.  I don’t guarantee that ancient history to be accurate — it’s been too long ago….

Parts for a Bosch 010 distributor should also fit the 019.  You’ll have to go to a VW specialty shop — not your neighborhood Advance, Autozone or NAPA, most likely.  Or order from the web, such as:
    Here’s more info on the 019:

KentT2013-08-22 10:56:53

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Thanks Kent!!

I was a little disappointed when I came across low hp VW applications that you gave me the heads up. But then I stopped in the auto parts store and a had a sand rail guy offer to swap me out for a 009. Parts guy gave me a look so I passed, after he left I was surprised to find out they also used it in the 1964 Porsche 356c! 😮

Same parts guy was trying to help me last night and had been trying to help me out by talking to this sand rail guy. Sand rail guy got all excited when he heard some kit car guy didn’t know what he had.

😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.