need wiring help

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits need wiring help

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kip
    Participant

@bassfann

i have the revision e wiring schematic,but i dont see where the battery positive wire should be.behind the dash going up to the ammeter there are 2 red wires,do they both go to the gauge since they are lined up ?

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I looked at revision E and it shows wire # 15 connected to the left ampmeter terminal and then continuing to somewhere ? not shown . Wire # 23 connects to the right side of the ampmeter. The wires are labeled according to the manual but I did not see any reference to what color they were. Are you using a harness supplied with the kit or from some other source? What is the other end of the red wire connected to?

kip
    Participant

@bassfann

Larry Murphy wrote:
     I looked at revision E and it shows wire # 15 connected to the left ampmeter terminal and then continuing to somewhere ? not shown . Wire # 23 connects to the right side of the ampmeter. The wires are labeled according to the manual but I did not see any reference to what color they were. Are you using a harness supplied with the kit or from some other source? What is the other end of the red wire connected to?

#23 is hooked to the voltage reg.#15 is hooked to starter.i guess i have to run a wire from the batt to the starter as well ?

buddy
    Participant

@buddy

The ammeter would be wired in series to the power source (generator) to the battery. All power runs through the ammeter. A better way to go in install a voltmeter. It is wired in parallel to the battery. Less chance of a
    problem with hot wires.  

kip
    Participant

@bassfann

buddy wrote:
    The ammeter would be wired in series to the power source (generator) to the battery. All power runs through the ammeter. A better way to go in install a voltmeter. It is wired in parallel to the battery. Less chance of a
    problem with hot wires.  

so i would hook battery directtly to the ammeter ?

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

The wiring rev. E shows wire 23 connected to the starter as well as to the ampmeter.. . I  came to this conclusion by putting two of the diagrams together,hope I’m seeing correctly since I’m looking sideways and thru bifocals. The bat cable from the + batt. terminal would also connect to the same starter terminal ,and if I am correct, all the current for the entire car comes from this point..This wire 23 MUST be very large,probably the largest wire in the harness to function properly.

To answer your last question, you would not need to run a wire from the batt to the ampmeter since wire 23 connects to the batt at the starter end of the + batt cable.  I’m seeing wire 15 to the regulator and wire 16 to the starter in the diagram.

Be very careful here my info may not be 100% accurate,perhaps one of our more technical members can better advise you on this.

Larry Murphy40444.5778587963

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

My ammeter don’t work so I’m keen to see how this plays out. 

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I checked my factory built VW based car this a.m. and basically confirmed the info I posted previously.

A large blue wire connects to the same terminal on the starter that the + batt. cable connects to.I  found what I believe to be the other end of this wire connected to the right side of the ampmeter as viewed from behind the dash.This is the only blue wire of this size under the dash and I think this would be your wire 23.

Two red wires of the same size connect to the left side of the ampmeter and go to a junction block [not the fuse panel] which serves connect wires from the front,rear and under the dash.,This would be your wire 15 if I am correct.

kip
    Participant

@bassfann

Larry Murphy wrote:

I checked my factory built VW based car this a.m. and basically confirmed the info I posted previously.

A large blue wire connects to the same terminal on the starter that the + batt. cable connects to.I  found what I believe to be the other end of this wire connected to the right side of the ampmeter as viewed from behind the dash.This is the only blue wire of this size under the dash and I think this would be your wire 23.

Two red wires of the same size connect to the left side of the ampmeter and go to a junction block [not the fuse panel] which serves connect wires from the front,rear and under the dash.,This would be your wire 15 if I am correct.

i have the 15 and 23 wires connected to the ammeter as in the diagram,but up where the battery sits there are no power wires.do i need to connect a largeer wire from the battery back to the starter ??.nothing in the diagram is helping me

Phil
    Participant

@phil

You need a heavy gauge battery cable wire from the battery positive terminal to the starter and another one from the negative terminal to chassis ground. I believe it is a # 3 or 4 gauge wire. I think it is mentioned in the text of the manual.

Phil

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Phil’s answer jogged my brain . My car has the batt. under the right seat in the original VW position and uses the VW bat. cables as well so I assumed [apparently incorrectly] that the batt. cables were already in place.. Phil is correct in saying you need to run a batt. cable from the batt.+ to the starter and also a ground cable from the batt.- to the VW pan. You also need a ground cable from the engine to the pan . This is often connected to a bolt on the transaxle for convenince.

I apoligize for being so slow to catch this . Be sure that the + cable is protected from rubbing against any thing that could wear thru the insulation and cause a fire.

chuck schmit
    Participant

@chuckles

the traditional way to wire an inline ampmeter is to run a wire from the big  term on the starter (which also has the batt cable on it) to term “A” of the ampmeter. Term “B” gets the wire from the alt and the main power line for the rest of the car( fuse box etc) My MiGi came to me wired wrong, with the alt feeding into term A. The harness was evidently put together wrong. There are better ways to do this if you have your batt up front and your engine in the rear.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The more I read of this thread the more I think I’m gonna get a volt meter instead. Simpler, safer hookup and maybe a better read on the charging system too. Maybe run a wire from the generator to the idiot light so if/when the belt fails that’ll go on right off.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.