New Toy

Home Forums General Discussion Car Registry New Toy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Billy
    Participant

@billymcj

Hi folks.  I just bought my MG TD Replica.  It’s titled as a 1980 Empress I, built by American Custom Cars in Houston, TX.   Has a rear mounted VW engine.  I don’t have any other information about the car. Anybody have more info?

Thanks
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome Billy.

Never heard of an “Empress”

We have a few other owners here with cars from American Custom Cars.

ACC was a builder, they did not manufacture their own kits. It is possible they titled it with their own “make” name.

A quick search on the phrase “Empress TD Relica” turned up this thread:

One of the posts seems to confirm my thoughts on this:

Topic author: beckybailey2892
    Replied on: May 23 2012 9:25:24 PM

My husband found a metal tag inside the car that says
    “Em-180 (#5006)
    Empress I
    American Custom Cars”

PMOSSBERG2012-08-16 13:50:01

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The only other entry in the car registry….

Rick Mullins (Rockyx) owns a Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess that was built by ACC.

Post a few pictures and we might be able to identify the kit manufacturer.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

In the old forum photo gallery ,member current toy has a replica that looks like a Classic Roadster Duchess. The plate on the firewall says Empress I by American Custom Cars. Really nice car.

Billy
    Participant

@billymcj

Here are some pics:

Billy
    Participant

@billymcj

Thanks Larry.  That is exactly what the plate on mine says.  In talking to the mechanic that works on my Mercedes, he told me the chassis mine is on is probably a 66 VW.  The engine has a plate from BAR saying it is a 66 engine.    Car is titled as a 1980 though.  Creating all kinds of havoc trying to get around the SMOG requirement here!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bily: Nice ride you have. California can be a bear to get a specially constructed vehicle registered. It took almost 2 years to get it titled. Mine was on a 1970 vw frame and had single port 1600 vw engine. DM V would not look at the car. If they did they would have seen the assigned vin number attached. They wanted a smog check done at a refere e station. I took it to the station were the inspector put a fan on the front of my radiartor shell. I asked why he did  that he said to keep the engine cool. Engine was in rear vw powered. Got smog check, back to DMV. They wanted it inspected by the CHP. Close CHP inspection station 20 miles away. Can’t drive it, no registration had to tow it on a trailer.

,  CHP  asked why I was there. TI had made an appointment t,old him he looked at the vin plate checked the paperwork and said DMV should have given me registration without smog and his inspection. He filled out all of the forms necessary and told me on specially constructed vehicles he inspects 1/2 don’t pass DMV. He said it was a crap shoot. Guess I was lucky Got paperwork back about a week later. I don’t need smog.

CA vin plate lists what is necessary for smog 1974 and earlier engines are exempt from smog . get a real nice DMV clerk and talk real nice to their supervisor. Have a copy of the DMV laws and have the sections covering restructed vehicles, kit cars and specialy constructed vehicles marked real good. If you can  show them in black and white then you have a chance.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Billy, I saw the pic on your other post first.

Your car is a Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess.

You can determine the chassis year very easily.

The donor car VIN is stamped into the center tunnel, under your seat, right above the access panel for the shift rod/transmission link.

Get that number and look it up here:

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-chassis-numbers/

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.