Road trip with my London Roadster

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Road trip with my London Roadster

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Picking up my MG TD replica  ’86 London Roadster near Roanoke Va and driving it back to to Oak Island (near Wilmington NC ). Dec12th . It has  has 17k miles and appears sound and runs well.I will be taking 220 south to Rockingham NC then 74..It has a ’69 VW beetle mill and chassis .

I will give it a tune up and a few othe rminor items.

Any  suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks so much

John

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Oak Island eh??  Welcome aboard tdreplica.com.  After you get her shaken down and Christmas is a memory, send me a PM and we could get together and compare notes. 

Roy (in New Bern)

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

She looks beautiful.  If you can tune it up before your trip, you will have a better ride and your engine will thank you.

I drove my London Roadster most of the way from Seattle, Washington to Phoenix, Arizona.  That was a trip that I’ll not soon forget.

Have fun.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sweet looking ride! Whoa–where’s the lower tins?

I expect you should do fine without them this time of year. I’d be on the lookout for them soon though. VW ppl say running them without tins is not good.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

The sheet metalwork around the engine is critical to cooling. The shrouded fan on top of the engine pushes air down through the cylinders. Pressure will take the easiest route. Without the tins that’s the space between the cylinders and not the cooling fins around the cylinders. 

Change your oil before you go. Oil is part of the cooling system.  

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thank you  I  appreciate  the  comments and heads  up ..Especially the lower tins.(I had no idea about them or where to get them ..-JC Whitney? ) .The  temps in Roanoke  will be  lows..30’s- and highs on the road back to OKI mid 50’s.

Whats else?

thx,

John

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Regarding the sheet metal, there is a guy here in New Bern that has more than 100 old unrestored Beetles on his lot.  He restores them and sells.  Simmons Volkswagen Restoration ph 252 675 1200.  You will most likely talk to Dalton Simmons.  Would be worth the trip.  I live about a mile away. 

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy,

Thx so much ..I am picking up the  MG TD ..London roadster this weekend .. so hope fullly  with the cold temps the drive back will be uneventful..

I will definetly  give Dalton a call.

Anything  else??

Look forward to seeing your MIGI

John

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I have a tow bar that you could borrow if you want to pass through NB on the way up.  It is what I would (did) do.  Hooks up so fast that you won’t work up a sweat and you need no tools.  1 7/8″ ball receiver.  These TDs are so light you can pull it with anything and you wouldn’t even know it was back there.  It would take all the uncertainty and worry out of driving a car that you are not familiar with on a long trip. 

You may have a tough time understanding Dalton on the phone, I do.  Send me a PM & I will give you my phone # and address.

Roy

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

my  email is 

jbarry4036@aol.com  also

thx 

john

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice looking car!
    Congratulations!
    And welcome aboard!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

John, The tow bar is a good idea   BUT and it’s a big one,,Your pictures look to me like you have one of the London Roadsters that is built on a custom chassis. If  it is the custom chassis model,the regular VW tow bar will not hook up without modifications. MGLondonRoadster ran into this problem with his custom chassis LR. If your car has coilover shocks on the front,you will need to make changes to the tow bar to use it. I don’t want you to be upthere ready to tow and then find out it will not fit. Look at LRMS’s photo gallery to see pics of his suspension and you will notice that it ‘s deffinitely not the typical VW torision bar type.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Yes, I purchased a standard VW tow bar and it did not fit my London Roadster custom square axle front end.  The shocks were not the issue, the size and shape of the receiving parts.  It took me two trips to the hitch/weld shop to get it right, but now I have a custom tow bar for my London Roadster.  Pulling it behind my Honda Odyssey, it is hardly noticeable.

I haven’t thought about trying it with the Fiberfab with the chevette front end  (sorry, it’s hard for me to capitalize chevette).

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

MGLR, You are right , the coilover  shocks do not interfere with the tow bar.However,if the car has the coilover shocks mounted at an angle,that would be a clear indicator that it did not have VW suspension and that the tow bar would need to be modified to fit.

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

nice looking car, looks like newer than a 69,(dual port heads)anyway, i live near your route and in floyd county va and would normally be availble to assist you if needed. however i will be in san diego that week getting a tan. a spare fanbelt some tools. maybe a jack……lady luck.whatever you can carry with you for emergencies. hope you love driving you little car as much as i do

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx Larry, I am going to drive it back on its own wheels unless

something crazy happens…ie like my two dogs don’t fit…J/K. You are

on the way…I am taking 220 back so watch out.I am working now and

have more questions .since I am buying from a auto sales lot…there

isn’t a lot of info until I talk with the previous owner who apparently

lives in Lynchberg…

Thx

John

Royal
    Participant

@royal

If your “new” TD runs as well as it looks, you should have no problem in your 6+/- hour trip.  Many of us have done what you are planning but we did it before cell phones existed (with a lot of derring-do).  The only surprises that I have had on such an excursion were fuel gauge and tire related except for the time that my gas pedal cable parted.  Fortunately there was some fishing line in the trunk so I drove home with a hand throttle.  So, in addition to all the normal breakdown stuff, I like to take a can of fix-o-flat and a small 1 gallon full gas can and some fishing line.  I once had a flat with a perfectly good spare and a good jack, – only to find out that the lugs were tightened to 7,000 ft lbs.  Had to walk a few miles to get a wrecker for a flat tire – very emabarassing.  Now I check the lugs before I depart.  Most everything else can be fixed with duct tape and bailing wire, a spare spark plug wire, points, and normal hand tools.  And perhaps most important of all:  your camera.  We, on the forum, will want to see visual evidence.    Good luck and have fun. 

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy….thanks….great suggestions ….especially the fishing ine

which I have. And will bring along my camera for fun and

proper documentation. At the moment its raining in roanoke

,then snow Thursday, then clearing and cold which is fine. By

the time I get there. It should be sunny and cold and my buddy

will have down the basics in tune etc. Again thx for the

suggestions very good items to add to my road trip punch list!

Thx so much,

John

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Mike  Thanks so much .. have fun in San Diego..I hear ya .. i am looking forward to having some time to check everyone out here and there locations..at the moment i am scrambling to get  everything together fo rthe  trip ..and of  course i will always take Lady Luck anyday to  Brillance.

Maybe someone knows the previous owner .He has had the car since 1994 lives in Lynchburg, va , Arthur Smith.

What weight engine oil ? also what tranny weight oil

and Everyone  thanks for  the  Help and Tips..!

t

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

A good multi grade 10W 30 is fine for the engine if you’d rather not use straight 30W. For the transaxle, you’ll need 90W oil. NAPA, Auto Zone O’Reilleys etc will all have it. Good driving on your trip and have yourself a ball.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Allen,  thanks so much  .I   did  a trip from Eastern NC to Louisville Kentucky in a ’59 Austin healey Sprite bug eye-the sprite  in ’66 the bug eye  was worn out then and still made it  fine. I am totally psyched  for this  trip!

best

John

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I have a post or two about my journey home with my first MG TD London Roadster.  I used up my remaining AAA service and tow calls on my way home, but it’s a trip I wouldn’t trade for anytime soon.

I hope you have good luck on your trip and look forward to reading about and seeing some photos of the voyage.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Mark, well I do have AAA. I will have a few days for a quick tune up

and anything else… .definetly post some pix and I will shoot u

some questions about this london roadster. One of the members here

said he looked like a custom chassis . It only has 17k miles. The

previous owner bought it ’94. Thx

John

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Mark, well I do have AAA. I will have a few days for a quick tune up

and anything else… .I will definetly post some pix and I will shoot

u some questions about this london roadster. One of the members

here said the car looked like a custom chassis . It only has 17k miles.

The previous owner bought it ’94. Thx

John

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.