Shift-rod bushing split-ring?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Shift-rod bushing split-ring?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stuart
    Participant

@spechols

I just replaced the shift-rod bushing. The one right behind the shifter. Having done this on a few VWs before…This time I left off the split-ring that goes on the bushing. Those of you familiar with this repar know what a pain it is to get the rod in the bushing with the split-ring in place. One option is to set the ring ends together and “spring” it into place after the bushing has the rod installed. But this time, I decided to not install the snap-ring on the bushing to see what will happen. My theory is that the snap-ring only holds the bushing tight to the rod as the bushing wears. But this could also add to how fast the bushings wear out.
    What is your opinion?
    Thanks
    Spechols

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

it also holds the bushing in place. be prepared to stop & put it back in on a trip

Stuart
    Participant

@spechols

Don’t see how it holds the bushing in place but I will keep the 13mm in the tool kit. Thanks for the heads up.
    The PO had no bushing and the shift-plate mounted upside down. A common mistake – it was amazing that it was drivable. He complained that it was hard to get it into 2nd and reverse.
    Easy fix.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Putting the shift plate in rightside-up ++

The spring clip on that dang shift bushing…don’t even get me started. Season before last I did that job for the second time since I’ve had the car, since I had to shorten the shift rod for the Suby swap.
    It is said, by the Speedster Owners, that a couple winds of mechanic’s wire will do as well & is easier to fasten with a good needle nose plier. I don’t know.
    Gordon Waples
    Participant

@allison-gw

I put a plastic zip tie around the bushing instead of the ring, , it seemed like the easiest thing to do, still working fine

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

I second what Allison says about using a plastic zip tie. It was easy to install, then I lube the heck out of the shift rod and the bushing. Rob and Dave’s VW article about removing and repair on the shifter, always use the phrase of “Ramp up Right” when reinstalling the shifter plate. This has served me well upon my annual lubing up the shift rod plastic bearing.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

BTW, this discussion of the shift plate reminded me of these quick shift kits for the stock VW shifter;

Quick Shift Kit on Amazon

If you are using a stock VW shifter, these inexpensive things make a huge difference, reducing the distance the shifter must be moved by 40%. They do not work with most aftermarket shifters, which have something similar built in…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Just a thought, but if you are in there anyway, consider replacing the plastic bushing with one of these and you likely will never have to touch it again.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Stuart
    Participant

@spechols

I will likely do that next time
    Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.