spare tire holder

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits spare tire holder

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

My spare tire holder looks hacked. Should it be one piece or is it made to be removed to get to fuel gauge? See photospare

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

It is made to be removable but it’s been years since I installed mine.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

My FF MiGi had holes in the engine cover like yours but had a simulated spare tire with cover as opposed to a functional tire holder like yours. I made a spare tire holder __/—-\__ with this profile. I found the engine, at least the top end ran cooler. The later VW Bugs had vents in their engine covers to draw air in and some guys would not latch the cover to draw air out of the engine compartment to allow hot air to be drawn out. Something you may want to consider. Need to have some of the guys who have more experience than me who work on their cars to comment on cooling issue. Royal? Jack? Ed is running a subie so he has different cooling issues

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Hey Toller, I think that Leo has a Ford font engined TDr.  He’s not worried about the same things that you and I are wrt cooling an air-cooled.

With what I see in the pics posted, it looks like a bit of fiberglass work and rattle cans of spray paint to clean it up and he will be looking good.

Don’t be afraid of fiberglass work.  It isn’t as hard as most would have you believe.  Ed (edsnova) is our newly anointed fiberglass expert.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Royal.
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

It looks like the spare tire holder was hacked/damaged by someone. On mine, the spare tire holder fits into the opening of the engine cover from the inside and then bolted in place. And like Roy said “Don’t be afraid of fiberglass work.  It isn’t as hard as most would have you believe.”

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

You want it to be removal to access the gas tank and gas gauge sender.  If you glass it in it will be a mistake.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Do NOT glass that in. You need to remove the hat to not only access the fuel sender and filler neck, but it’s the only access to the bolts that hold the rear cover to the body tub on that top edge. Once you put the tire on that hat, what’s behind it is hardly visible.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

OK I’m sorry I didn’t say it wasn’t a vw kit, I assumed everyone would know since it is posted in the Ford/Chevy forum. Could someone post a photo of how they have attached that and it still be removable and strong enough to hold that heavy tire and wheel. I don’t see anything by looking up from underneath to fasten it to. I’m thinking using 4 corner braces just bolted to the fiberglass. I don’t see any way to put nuts on bolts for 2 upper corner braces from underneath. Some one has put speakers in the back and I removed one and I can get to bolt to put nut on from there. Any better way?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

OK, finally, I got this picture to appear. (Took a half hour).

This cover is currently removed as the roll cage is still installed. Hillclimb Aug 19-20. I use large body clips that accept 5/16″ bolts. The hat simply bolts fast.

You’ll see along the top edge are the mounting holes for bolting the cover to the body tub. These can only be reached through the opening beneath the spare tire mounting hat.

I hope you find these helpful.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

Yes, very helpful.

Thank you

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

This is how I fixed it, bolted corner braces to the top part then put rivnuts on the side to attach the top with the corner braces installed

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Leo.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very good. That’ll work.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I looked at mine this past weekend and the spare tire holder is behind or underneath the rear hood.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Initially, so was mine. I really got tired of fighting with it every time I had to work back there I reversed the positions. I have never had a problem with anything coming loose. But you are correct, originally  the hat was under the cover.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Magical
    Participant

@magical653

My spare tire looks just like yours

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Ok a little late on this one, my spare tire mounts to a piece of metal that is bolted through the body and into two pieces of pipe that are mounted at the bottom , that allows me to open the back up by pulling two pins in the hinges on each side at the top .

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I like that. Pull two pins and the whole thing hinges away. Good thinking.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m with Ray.

The engine cover and spare tire mounts for the Duchess are beautiful.  😎

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

It’s an elegant solution that also looks very TD-esque.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.