squirrels

Home Forums General Discussion squirrels

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Looking for a good squirrel repellant. My TD sits outside with a cover. I was away for a week and upon my return had to remove about 5 pounds of acorns that squirrels had stashed under the hood, in the engine compartment, all over the inside and their favorite spot is under the seats. Any ideas will be appreciated.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Cat

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

I’d try a garage. Embarrassed need to be out of the weather any way. Wink

By the way I have a dog that keeps mine away from the camp sitesClap

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

I use dryer sheets. The kind you put in with your clothes in a dryer. The smell keeps them out. Or you could try mothballs, they say that works well also.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I hate the lingering effects…but moth balls do seem to work pretty well.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Moth balls have worked for me  I use both a rodent plug in chirper i bought at Lows       Dan

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Thanks guys, My bernese mountain dog thinks squirrels are his friends and they have no fear. I wish I had a garage. I will try the dryer sheets and moth balls.  Thanks again for the imput

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I don’t know where you are, Tom, but have you considered renting a storage unit? Here in Houston there are even some made and marketed especially for collector cars. I’m fortunate to have garage space, but will confess to taking a slow drive through one of the nearby car storage layouts on a Saturday morning just to eyeball the various rides.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I have a similar problem with feral cats.  Mine sit outside with covers, but I’ve found a cat running for it’s life when I start lifting the cover off.

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

You could try live animal traps,a box trap is easy enough to make.And then do the animal freindly thing and take a drive to the country and let them go.Or stew is a good chioce also.

peanuts is a good choice for bait as well as peanut butter,or a cob of corn.

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

I live in rural eastern NC and my property is several acres of woodlands. I

fear I may be on wrong end of a catch and release program. I have eaten

squirrel stew but it is not one of my favorites to say the least. The nearest

storage rental units are quite a distance from me but that may be the best

final solution. In the meantime I will try the mothball,fabric softener combo.

Thanks again for the good ideas.

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

I have another idea for you to help get rid of your little friends.

http://www.guardfatherllc.com/

Simply soak cotton (or a rag) in peppermint oil, and put into champer.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Hmmm. If you have no storage units close by, maybe one of your patients has a garage with some space available that you could rent for a few bucks a month, or in exchange for the occasional drive. 

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Bob
    Participant

@currenttoy

Looking at the champer – could you just use any small metal can/box and put some holes in the top and glue on a magnet?  Then just buy the oil or put in the mothballs.  Mine also sits out with only a cover and I am watching all the responses to see what I can do to make sure I do not come out; take off the cover, to find a raccoon living in mine. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If mine were outside I would park it on a sheet of plastic or, at least, pavement. Vapor comes up from the ground and rusts stuff. Ask me how I know.

I figure the tins should keep animals off your engine (VW people) and
    with a front engine there’s not too much to perch on in there. Just
    interior to keep clear, yes?

So, shoot some WD-40 in the plug holes & carb, bag it (?) and call that done.

I’d invest in a good soft cover with good elastic gathers, and expect to buy a new one every other season or so. Breathable cover.

I’d put some mothballs or other critter-repellents in the interior, button up the car as best I could–top up, side curtains installed, then put the cover over all that. Maybe wax it first to keep wear to a minimum. If the cover fits loose–and these probably will since they’re small cars–maybe bungie it down at the windshield to keep the wind-flapping down.

Finally, I’d uncover it about once every month or six weeks, weather -permitting, to make sure no unwanted squatters had arrived.

Does that make sense?

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Still lots of interesting ideas. I really don’t button it up as I try to drive it a couple of times a week at least. I have put in some dryer sheets and will report back in a week or so.

Bob
    Participant

@currenttoy

Kmart has a shelter with a door.  too large for the area I would need it to fit.

http://www.kmart.com/shelterlogic-10-ft-x-20-ft-auto-storage -shelter/p-082W541991110001P

PMOSSBERG40850.5141203704

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My TD “lives” in a shed similar to the one currenttoy linked to.

Trust me…they are NOT rodent proof.

I scatter moth balls in the passenger compartment, the front trunk and around the floor, especially around the tires. I still find acorns in the car. But in many years have had NO damage to the car.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Acorns would be a nuisance, but even worse is feral tomcats spraying your seats, doors and dashboard. That happened to me, but fortunately before I had the interior reupholstered.   Now I’m very careful to keep both garage doors shut tight if my Lafer is parked inside — especially in what passes for winter down here.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Not a cheap alternative but I have my Miata stored in the winter in a bubble as I have run out of garage space.  My wife isn’t willing to give up her side of the garage 🙂

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=3962& amp;sc=58446&adpos=1t1&creative=1045192982&gclid =CM2creLfnawCFQMUKgodpjKN3A

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I had not seen one of these for storage.  Do you use your’s outdoors?  The company literature says indoor use only.  How long have you had your car capsule?

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Roy,

I have run out of garage space so I purchased one of those portable garage (tents) for the Maita.  This car only goes out in nice weather and is put away in the car capsule around the first of December before the salt hits the road.  This winter will be the third year the capsule will be used.  It’s nice to put the car away for the winter, in the spring it’s a very pleasant suprise when the car comes out as you left it in the fall.  The capsule is like a ballon in that it has a constant 5 inch fan keeping it inflated.  The fan runs 7*24 and the power usage is minimal.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Rob,

I noticed your from MA. I am also from MA. Do you keep this bubble outdoors? If so how does it stand up to the snow?

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

So far so good-dryer sheets in multiple locations and no evidence of new

squirrel infestation for the last week. I will keep my fingers crossed and my

dryer sheets in place. Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I wonder if the dryer sheets would work for cats?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.