TD Birth Certificate?

Home Forums General Discussion Car Registry TD Birth Certificate?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Being new to the kit car world, I wanted to do things right when I registered mine in NC.  Took it to DMV, told them what I had and showed them the “old” VA title from the prior owner.  The title called it a VW 2 dr Sedan.  I explained that it was a kit car, it was built by Daytona on a 1970 VW chassis, and didn’t know when it was actually assembled.  They said that the simplest thing would be to register it as a 1983 MG.  So, that’s what my registration says it is, – a 1983 MG.  I’ve got regular plates on it rather than antique or vintage plates. 

Is there any list of serial #’s from which I could determine when mine was actually made?  I have included my serial # from the Daytona plate inside the “trunk” in my signature line at the end of this post.

It is probably not important, since I am fully “legal”, but I like to know such things. 

Thanks, Roy

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Roy, Congratulations on ”doing things right”You won’t regret it especially if you are envolved in an accident or ever decide to sell it.Each state has their own rules for these cars and each inspector has his own interpretation of the same rules.When I got my BCW,it had a New Jersey title as a 1998 ,or was it 2004 Recon.Any way when the inspector came to my house to ”inspect” it ,he asked me how I wanted to title it. I said ,52 MG Replica. He said he would have to check with the Raleigh office and called me four days later and said that they approved it.

A forum member lives in the county right beside me which has a different inspector, was not allowed to have MG anywhere on the title. His was titled as a 2009 Custom.

The biggest advantage of being titled as a 52 ,.is that you are exempt from the annual safety inspection. My London Roadster is titled as a 1983 LOND. I take it to the same inspection station each year and show the lady inspector the paper work from the previous year and every thing goes thru OK.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You lucked into a VERY friendly DMV person Larry! VERY!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Paul, I know you are right!! When I talked to him on the phone to set up the apointment, he told me that the car had to be ”operational” for the inspection so I got everything working expecting a ”mechanic type” person to show up,put on coveralls and perform a real inspection of the car.

When he arrived ,a day early, he was driving what looked like a detective’s car with tinted windows and lots of antennas. He was wearing a three piece business suit with a badge and gun on his belt. He walked around my car ,asked me what kind of car it was . When I told him a little about it and showed him the New Jersey vin on the door jam,his next words were ”How do you want it titled?”

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m envious!

And I just did some digging. Turns out Larry’s inspector was following North Carolina regulations correctly.

http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_NC.pdf

On page five of that document….you will find:

? 20-53.1.

Specially constructed vehicle certificate of title and registration

(a)

Specially constructed vehicles shall be titled in the following manner:

(1)

Replica vehicles shall be titled as the year, make, and model of the vehicle intended to be replicated. A label of “Replica” shall be applied to the title and registration card. All replica vehicle titles shall be labeled “Specially Constructed Vehicle.

Roy…you should go back to DMV and ask them to reconsider. Your TD should be titled and registered in accordance with this regulation.

PMOSSBERG40843.4450115741

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Paul, Thanks for doing the research and as soon as winter is here and company leaves and Thanksgiving and Christmas are history, I will go back and get MIGI properly titled and registered. 

My real question was if we were to line all the TD replicars up alphabetically by height and year (kit year I guess) what would it look like?  Maybe this information is already lost.  On MIGI what does “81/53188” on Daytona’s plaque mean.  I could guess that 81 was the kit year but I was under the impression that Daytona was long gone by 1981.  (I guess that I was hoping that mine was the very first one ever made and that I should take it straight to the Barrett-Jackson because it is really worth $400,000 +/-.  I expect not)….Roy

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

I don’t know if the new owners have the same info, but when I first bought from MGMagic they gave me some of the history of my car.  I got first and subsequent owners and the year of the kit.  Might be worth a try.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Kit manufacturers used to provide a Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) with their kits (sometimes anyway) but I didn’t get one with my kit and I don’t know what info was on an MSO. The paper that came with mine was the shipping label with the kit date and the kit serial number. newkitman40843.7156481482

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here in California the cars must be rigorously inspected for SMOG emissions every two years …. unless it is a 1975 or older vehicle.  Therefore it is important to get your vehicle registered as a year model prior to 75.  Mine was built on a 71 VW chassis, so that is what it is registered as.  The DMV was easy to work with and made the process painless (after an hours wait since I did not have an appointment)

Bill
    Participant

@billoakes

@stacks – well, yes, but no. If you are one of the first

500 people each year (meaning, get in line the first day

that DMV is open in the new year), you can receive a

waiver exempting you from the SMOG program. This allows

people (such as a CA congressman) to build custom cars

with monster engines and not worry about the incredibly

tough CA emissions standards.

In CA, regardless of when it was built, or when it was

blue tagged (mine was tagged in ’81), if it leaves the

state, when it comes back in it’s registered as a custom

vehicle built in the year returned to the state – so mine

is registered as a 2009, and had to meet CA emissions

standards for that year (with an ’80 2.3L engine, that

just ain’t gonna happen). That exemption resolved that

particular issue.

Just some useless trivia,

Bill

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

NC DMV changed the year model on my title to my 1986 London roadster as a 1951 MG replica. The nice thing about that is thr DMV inspection  officer said my MG TD doesnt have to have annual  inspects.

Now I have to inquire how all this plays out  with my license plate sticker .

Can any NC TD replica owners help me out with inf?o.

Thx so much

john
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

John,

All your NC info is in the document linked to in the post above.

NC titles kits with the year of the vehicle they replicate.

Pre-1996 vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection. And you now have a  titled and registered 1951 MG!

What is the license plate sticker?

You should get NC’s antique or historic plates.

Paul Mossberg

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

My car in Florida is titled as a 1987 ASPT RD, whatever that means, (roadster),  and the insurance card says 1987 1953 MGTD. What does ASPT mean?

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Paul,

Thanxz  my sticker is good til Dec 2012..

I will follow up on this at our DMV ..asap

I will get an antique/historic plate..

thx again

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Florida ASPT means “assembled from parts”, their semantic for a kit car.

Paul Mossberg

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Thanks for that.
    Aren’t all cars done that way?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

mrlmd wrote:
    Thanks for that.
    Aren’t all cars done that way?

Now THAT is funny! Thanks for starting my day with a smile!

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.