TDReplica Members at Bugapaluza

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show TDReplica Members at Bugapaluza

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Had a great time at the Bugapaluza VW Show in Chattanooga. I (newkitman) met up with Pete (BDriver) and got to know each other. Great time. I highly recommend anytime TDr folks can find a place to meet…… do it!
    newkitman2015-04-18 23:11:58

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

We may not have brought TDr’s to the show, but any time TDr forum members can meet is a show by itself. Allen may have found the parts he needs to finish his Fiberfab kit. 
    Bugapalooza was disappointing. We’ve both been to it before. The number of cars was down. There was only one kit car there, an Aztec 7. The forecast probably had something to do with it. Rain drenched Chattanooga all week. Saturday was clear with showers forecast in the afternoon and thunderstorms on Sunday. A 2 day show turned into a 3/4 day show. There was no problem with the number of spectators however. The parking lots were full. 
    It may not have been Carlisle, but it was fun. 
    Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Well that explains why I didn’t see any. I was there in the afternoon, hour later than I expected because I forgot about the time zone change. Didn’t drive mine because of trouble with the gas leaking from tank outlet and the possibility of rain… plus I don’t know yet if I can drive it comfortably enough 300 miles in one day.

Since I needed undamaged wheels (rims are bent but tires hold air okay) I was hoping to find a used set, so that was my main reason for going. Someone had them in good shape, just partly rusty chrome, and $5 each or $20 for all. Said he didn’t want to haul the heavy stuff back home.

Talked to a guy at the cutaway engine+transmisson a while, learning more. And the guy that had the white Fiberfab Aztec concept car with the gull-wing doors. Must be something else to drive that with the low seat leaning back. Looked very different from the MGTDr anyhow.
    Um, sorry, now I see it was already mentioned. Reading too fast!

Security/parking guy must’ve been having a bad day. The seller of the wheels said I could park next to the string-like fence along the road so I didn’t have to carry them far. The moment I got out of my car he was saying move it or get thrown out of the park, didn’t want to hear why I was parking there but I thought I would explain real quick why I did. Only got me more trouble since he just wanted me gone.
    Not very friendly so it seemed like a bad representation of the event, but I figured he had probably been there all morning and the day before dealing with people who did the same thing.

LRH2015-04-18 23:50:38

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I posted the photos I took at my Fotki photo site. Here’s the link: http://www.fotki.com/Allen1209

Allen Caron

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

WOW I am real impressed with your work for not having a garage to work in. I had my frame, wheels and all of the engine tin sandblasted to the bare metal. It looked like your frame but it cleaned up very nicely.

Wishing you continued success in your build. I enjoyed seeing your posted slide show, thanks.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Memories… from yesterday. 😀

I liked the dark orange Thing that had rust under a clear coat, I’m guessing. Was next to the wildly painted Thing in your pictures.
    I saw 3 people driving on the freeway in a Thing without the top, same as a dark brown or maroon one that was there. I noticed the guy in the back was leaning forward and the one at the show didn’t have a back seat upright cushion.
    Your build pictures give me plenty of insight into what’s inside my car. Don’t think I could have built mine. I’ll never forget the visible V8 plastic model my grandparents gave me as a teen, mixed up left and right sides. Anyway, must be a challenge to get these put together before the final touches get done.
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Anyone going to thus year’s Bug-a-Paliza besides me?

Allen Caron

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

For now I will be monitoring the weather intending to go, unless something else changes my plans for at least a 1 day visit.

I see it’s the weekend of April 16 and 17, via http://www.volksfolks.org/  again at Camp Jordan in East Ridge TN.
    If I do get my car there I don’t think it’ll be entered for judging, just to show (only $10 vs. $20 or $16 pre-reg.) because:
    I guess pre-registration and attendance both days is a must if you do want to be judged. I’m not really sure, maybe someone else knows…?
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

It’s on my radar since it’s only a couple hours away. Since I don’t really need anything from the swap meet, and my TDr likely won’t be ready (not that it is show-worthy anyway), it’s not a must for me…

I’ll soon need to take an inventory and start getting rid of old or not needed parts, such as the 1500 SP that I just yanked out. But, Circle Yer Wagens is almost literally in my back yard (about 5 miles away) twice a year, so that will likely be the swap meet venue I use…

Should anyone want to combine a VW show with a visit to the Smokies (including Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Dollywood, etc.), this is another one to monitor….

AVWA Site

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Kent. Is Circle Yer Wagons a VW single/double cab, and camper only show or are beetles, things, Ghias etc. allowed? Never been to that one. I may have to check it out. 🙂

Allen Caron

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Thanks for telling of that one, been a few years since I was up there and I had only known of the Pigeon Forge car shows. Gives me a reason to go in the Spring if I decide to do that.

I was able to find a new web page showing the next show, other one is still saying “42” from October 2015 for now.

Says “all VW” so maybe that answers your question.
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

All VWs. There was even a TDr displayed last spring. Didn’t go last fall.

If anyone is coming definitely let me know, so we can get together. I’m minutes away!

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

That’s a haul for me (5 1/2 hour drive) but I may give it a try. I do the Fl Bug Jam in Dade City, FL and that’s a 5 hr drive but I generally stay overnight Saturday night. I’ll have to think some on that.

Allen Caron

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

KentT wrote:
    let me know, so we can get together.
    Will do. Only 4 1/2 hours for me.
    I would go for sure if both events (B-A-P and CYW) were on the same weekend. I like to bundle events and Chattanooga is on my route to there so it would have been perfect. 🙂 Just will try to make one or the other anyway, weather permitting.
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

LHR. I usually go to the B-A-P each year. Been going to that show since 2003. Its 3 hrs from me. Hopefully you, Kent and me can meet there. More too if they’re willing. Kent and I met up there last year. Weather was okay but rain the day before and forecast for late that afternoon put a damper on attendance. Hopefully this year will be better. 🙂

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

10 hours out for me, so I don’t think I’ll be making this run. Have fun, boys. Post lots of pics and brag when you’re done.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Sorry I never made it there this year. Water meter pipe break kept me busy most of the week and I went to a softball tournament all day Saturday until almost midnight.
    That wasn’t going to stop me but I was expecting the temperature to be almost 80 degrees Sunday according to an earlier forecast. No problem driving the open car if that were true but temps were only mid-50’s in the morning and weren’t going to be more than low 70’s if lucky at the Bugapaluza show, then drop fast again by the time I made the 2 1/2 hours drive home.

I can take a half hour of cold wind in the face but any more than that and I couldn’t like it. Doubt the full face motorcycle helmet would’ve been seen as legal enough either, not sure. Hmm. Scarf wrapped face? Anyway… I just gave up on the idea instead of struggle. I can be such a wimp sometimes!
    😀
    I was even going to drive my regular car there and lost all the fun factor ambition the more I thought about it.

Hope somebody got to go and see what it was like with the better weather than last year (some rain).
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’ve done the full faced helmet. Keeps your head warm and out of the cold.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I went again this year mainly search for those Brazilian rims. They have awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each class with kit cars as one of the classes. And it was the 2nd year in a row they had less kit cars than trophies. One last year and two this year. If mine was complete worst I could have done this year was 3rd.

Allen Caron

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

newkitman wrote:
    I went again this year mainly search for those Brazilian rims.
    So I’m going to guess you didn’t have any luck.

I really shouldn’t have bought the rusting chrome VW wheels last year, I never did anything with them but probably better condition than the old painted (what there is of it left) set that came with the car.

I checked the actual weather for there Sunday after I posted my last message and it was warmer than the forecast I had seen earlier. Had I known I don’t think it would’ve mattered because I wasn’t feeling enough enthusiasm by Sunday morning… make that late Sunday morning by the time I was up and moving. That lost hour from the time zone change doesn’t ever help me either when I go the mere 75 miles or so eastward of here. Were that the other way around to gain an hour it sure would help me get a better jump on events. That is, when only going for a single day.

Sounds like my car could have achieved its 3rd trophy. Oh well, c’est la vie!

LRH2016-04-18 23:51:48

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.