uploading pictures

Home Forums General Discussion uploading pictures

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Still having a problem with this. If I click on the tree icon above the message box, I can browse my computer, select the jpg image, can preview it both in the little box on the right hand side, but when I go to upload the image, it fails and I get this message.

Persits.Upload.1 error ‘800a0020’

The parameter is incorrect.

/forum2/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 193

The image I tried to post was small, like 36kb, 350 x 326, well below the maximum size.

I have tried to input either nothing or different widths/heights into the parameter boxes on the right side of that little upload page, but nothing seems to work for me. Is there a size that has to be placed in there, or is this upload automatic?
    At one point fiddling with it I could get the pic into this message box, but either previewing the post or posting it, the image would not appear in the post on the forum.
    What am I doing wrong or what else do I need to do to get a picture up here?
    Thanks.

mrlmd2012-04-27 00:10:14

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Anybody? Any suggestions how to get this to work?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Weird. I’m stumped.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m sending the problem to our contact at our hosting company (who happens to be founder FrankieD’s brother. Stay tuned.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Is anybody else having a problem uploading pics?

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

I am. I have tried a couple of times. I thought I would wait till I see my son the computer guru to show me how.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Any update on my problem (and Smitty’s) about not being able to upload pictures?

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Just a test to see if my upload feature is working.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have not heard from Frank or his brother Jeff.

But apparently Mike’s “upload” works fine!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I wish I could do that.
    I still get the same error message as before.

BTW, I’m using a Mac with Firefox as a browser for here.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I used firefox, but with a PC. Im not familiar with Mac so dont if it is a Mac specific error code. Have you done a google search on the code?

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

I just uploaded this pic. I see other’s are also able to upload pics. Is it just the two members having problems? I see mrlmd is using Firefox on a Mac, smitty,what browser and OS are you using? Are you gettting the exact same error code?

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

It’s not the picture, it’s not my computer, or the browser – I can upload the pic I wanted to post on here and email it to myself. It has to be something with this site. I’ve even tried to upload a different pic on here and get the same error message.
    Google is no help with this.

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

mrlmd wrote:
    It’s not the picture, it’s not my computer, or the browser – I can upload the pic I wanted to post on here and email it to myself. It has to be something with this site. I’ve even tried to upload a different pic on here and get the same error message.
    Google is no help with this.

I don’t think it’s your computer either. It may be something with the forum software and the combination of OS and browser.

Once you upload the picture, it shows up in the box on the right side. from there, do just click the OK button on the bottom right side or do you make any other changes in the box?

How many pictures to you see in the list from your online folder? Can you select any of the other pictures (already uploaded) and insert them into a post?
    Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

One time I tried I got that picture in the little box on the right side but it wouldn’t show up in the preview of the post or in the post, so I deleted the post. Every time after that I try to upload a pic I do not even see the pic in that little box, and I get that error message each time.  I still have my computer link to 2 pics in the box above what I am again trying to upload. I do not know how to get rid of those old links, but if I right click one and retry, now the pic shows up in the right hand box. If the upload it, it shows up in this compose message box, but it doesn’t upload and show up in the post or in the preview of this post, only the typed text appears. I just tried it again right here in this message where I tried to post it again, but there is no pic.
    FrankieD2012-05-02 14:08:03

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

mrlmd,

This picture in your 12:31 p.m. post, made it into your gallery:

[Bob&Ray_Car_Talk_cooking_on_MG.jpg]

But I see a problem when you try to include it in a forum post.

When I look at your post above, the software has misinterpreted the “&” sign in the file name. And the link to the photo appears as:

Bob&ampampampRay_Car_Talk_cooking_on_MG.jpg

I suggest you rename the file without using special characters and try again.

The other picture you tried to post, [rule_#51-koozie.jpg], did not make it into the gallery. I suspect the “#” confused the software.

Paul Mossberg

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

I think Paul is on the right track.

I changed the file name to test.jpg and it showed up fine when I edited your post to reflect the new name. Try uploading a simple file with a simple name and attach it in a post. I suspect that it has something to do with special characters in file name.

I also edited the file name of the other pic you uploaded. I took the # and – out of the name and it now shows up fine in your preview.

FrankieD2012-05-02 14:12:43

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m a mac and a firefox (at home) and don’t have a photo upload problem. I’m actually running Camino on the Mac, which is a Firefox variant.

mrlmd–try Camino? it’s a free download and hasn’t given me any trouble in several year’s use.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Thanks for finding the problem – it may have been the extra characters in the title or name of the picture? That really shouldn’t matter, it’s just a link to the file on my computer isn’t it?

As an aside – That first pic of the MG is Bob and Ray (Click and Clack) from Car Talk, cooking chicken burritos on the engine heat of an original MG. One of the viewers on their Facebook site said he once gave his father a cook book called Manifold Destiny, explaining how far you had to drive in order to thoroughly cook something wrapped up in tinfoil lying on your engine block.
    The other picture that you were able to find was just something I was playing with to try and get a different pic to upload.

mrlmd2012-05-02 14:27:23

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Do we each have a separate photo gallery? How do I find mine to upload photos there, or do all the photos you post on the messages in the forum automatically go there?

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

mrlmd wrote:
    Thanks for finding the problem – it may have been the extra characters in the title or name of the picture? That really shouldn’t matter, it’s just a link to the file on my computer isn’t it?

Once you upload the pic it’s stored on our web server so it’s not linked to your computer. As with anything computer related, sometimes software can’t tell the difference between what’s code and what’s just a file name. I suspect this was the case but want to be 100% sure.

Try uploading another picture (with a simple name) and posting it here. I want to make sure YOU can post not just have me edit them and they show up. I’m not going to sleep well until we know 100% that was the problem. 

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

mrlmd wrote:
    Do we each have a separate photo gallery? How do I find mine to upload photos there, or do all the photos you post on the messages in the forum automatically go there?

Any picture you upload, goes to your gallery. Paul posted a link to your gallery earlier in this thread but here it is again:  https://tdreplica.com/forum2/gallery/browse.asp?dir=14731 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

mrlmd,

The “special characters” do affect functionality.

When a picture appears in a forum post, it is actually a link to the file which gets uploaded to your photo gallery.

Some special characters, in particular the ampersand (“&”), have special meaning in HTML. Apparently the number sign does as well.

PMOSSBERG2012-05-02 14:58:06

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That’s Tommy’s ’52 MG, I believe. (It’s Tom & Ray, btw, not Bob). He’s wonderfully unstuffy about that car.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Ed – you’re right, Tom, not Bob = brain fart.

I’d try here again with a few pics of my car, labeled to try and avoid any computer confusion, but I have to figure out how to resize them down to a smaller format.
    Here’s one pic of the backyard/beachfront of my house, to see if it comes out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.