VW front axle

Home Forums Classifieds VW Parts Wanted VW front axle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Wanted VW front twin beam axle.Link pin/or ball joint Does’nt matter.Type 1 standard bug/beetle 69 and up with the small 4 bolt pattern

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

No 4 lug bolt pattern cars had a king pin front end…these were all ball joint. All king pin cars were “wide 5” bolt pattern

Did you “google” for VW parts, Check eBay and Craig’s List? Severl aof the VW supply houses sell used front beams.

Where are you located?

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Pink thanks for the info on the front ends.I had no idea about the difference.My only expirence with vw’s was to remove the parts I did not need to build a trike.I have a pan for my MG now just need to locate a twin beam axle and convert due to its a strut front.I am in Manitowoc WI.30 miles south of the packers.And yes I have been seaching everthing from craigslit to ebay and all inbetween.fair prices but nobody wants to ship.and a bit to far to drive

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

buzz,

Check out http://www.harshwintersvwclub.com.  Join their forums and post up a wanted ad. They are done near Chicago but have members up your way too.  They are also a great source of VW info……

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Not an easy conversion from Super Beetle to regular Beetle front end. CMC/FiberFab had crude adapter that welded on the front of a squared and cut Super Beetle front spine. My first Pink MG had one.

Do you have this Super Beetle to beam adpater?

If you do not have the beam, for what it’s worth: To convert to a VW beam on a Super Beetle pan, you’d be better off investing in a Mustang II (M-II) style front suspension. It’s the same amount of work and the front end is 100 times better than a VW beam.

I did this with a 1972 Super Beetle I had in the late 70’s. Many Hot Rod vendors have kits from basic to complete. I cut mine from a 1974 Pinto I needed a crossmember to graft into the Super Beetle’s “spine”. Pinto , Bobcat, Mustang II are all the same front ends.

Speedway Motors, Heidt’s, etc area few M-II front end vendors. I’d try Speedway Motors first. They sell a universal crossmember, upper control arm mounts and all the stock M-II parts.

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Well as of this weekend I have acumulated the basic parts I needed.Pan, Ball joint front beam,motor,tranny.I have even gone so far as to cut the super front end off the pan,and have fabed up a mounting plate for the front beam,I will be able to bolt the front end up and be able to shim as needed just like the original.For me this was an easier modification than changing my 55 truck over to an IFS.I will try to get some pictures of my progress up soon.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Can’t wait to see the pics…

What front end did you use on the ’55 truck?

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

I went with a 85 chrysler 5th ave,same as the volare,aspen.Has the L shaped tortion bars contained in the K frame, as chrysler calls it.This was about the cleanest conversion over the nova camaro sub frames as most I have looked at look sloppy as they lay the truck frame over the camaro sub frame and weld it up.The chrysler makes it look like it came with it,and is also a very popular conversion with the old ford trucks

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Cool…In 1969, my first Asphalt Modified Stock Car had Chrysler station wagon lower torsion bars and lower arms, Lincoln upper arms and Buick spindles and brake drums…yes I said drums. It was a ’37 Chevy coupe that sat on ’55 Chevy frame rails. Semi elliptical rear leaf springs.

You kept your stock ’55 Ford frame rails too?

Your can adjust your bars too, unlike a Nova sub frame.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Interesting to read of the other rides we have.

I’ve got a 53 Ford truck that I’ve redone.  I kept the straight axle and put mono leaf springs and a power disc brake conversion on it.  It looks stock except for the lowered ride stance and drives very stable once I put a sway bar on it.

I’m thinking about hanging  power steering on it at some point since I’m getting a little old for the original “Armstrong” power steering.

Ringo

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Yes  I kept my stock chevy frame.The truck was a 7 year project mainly due to finaces.Here is a pic of the clip.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I have too many cars! I am the only licensed drive in my home…please shoot me!!! I think I need to go to “AA” (Automobile Anonymous)

1) 1985 Mustang SCCA Road Racer (running great)

2) 1940 Ford Tudor Sedan Streetrod (project)

3) 1989 GMC Suburban, Choo-Choo Conversion, R-1500, 2WD (daily driver, runs great)

4) 1989 RECON, BCW MG-TD Replica/Chevette, (project)

5) 1998 Chevy C-1500 W/T Pick-up, V6, Std Cab, 2WD (needs transmission)

6) 1998 Chevy C-1500 Cheyenne, V8, ext Cab, 2WD (needs intake manifold)

6.5) 18′ Bri-Mar open car trailer, works great for towing all the crap I have that doesn’t run

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

I too am acumulating too many 3 running and now 1 project.I have had since I was 16 now 46 ,over 250 cars losing count as I get older in my 30 years of driving.

A side note,Don’t know why my pics don’t show on the post.They are in my photo galley though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.