What Year Donor??? Ford 2.3

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits What Year Donor??? Ford 2.3

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

Looks like all that starting in gear to get the clutch unstuck has put too much of a load on the starter. When I take it to the mechanic he will ask what year car did the engine come from, so he can order the correct starter. How do I find that out? The car has an assigned VIN rather then the donor VIN. Is there a serial number on the engine and if so, where? jenkinen40306.6589236111

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Gene,

Your engine number is well hidden. It is located on the block, passenger side, toward the front just below the exhaust port. If I remember correctly it is between the number one and two cylinder under the exhaust. It’s a bear to get to. I took my digital camera with flash to find it. Look around in that area. If you need an exact location I will find it again on my engine and let you know. The code was easy to read off the internet.

You cannot see the number except with either x-ray vision or twisting around until you throw something out, like your back. The camera did the trick. I held it in various tight places and looked at the photos until I saw something that looked like numbers and letters, then I focused in that area. The camera is great for revealing all sorts of mechanical issues that you would rather not see. (That’s why I don’t take pictures of myself )

James

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

James,

Thanks. I’ll dig out the camera and give it a try.

Gene

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Gene,

Once you get the number this site can decode it.

http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm

(James, hope you’ve been spending as much time driving it as you have under it!  )

Ringo

Ringo40307.4926736111

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

If I’m decoding it correct E3ZE represents 1983 Mustang Engine

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Gene, that’s the way I read it too.
    Thanks for the Ford link Ringo. I have not driven my baby for almost 2 years now. Everything is fixed, but not re-assembled. Took a major financial dive , so everything is on hold.
    May need a trip to Hot Springs and see your black beauty! 

Gene Jenkins
    Participant

@jenkinen

I’ve got to tell you guys, the photo is the only way to go. There is no way to see that without taking off the panel. As it turned out it was the solenoid that was bad instead of the starter. Less labor, cheaper part. Thanks again for the input.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Gene,

I poked my camera all around and took all sorts of pictures. Thank goodness my camera is one of those little pocket ones. My autofocus is not the best, but I was able to see stuff I normally could not. I have used a USB webcam connected to a laptop, but without the flash, did not do much good. I would love to get one of those cameras on the flexible shafts with the light. like the doctor uses, but too expensive for the payback. When I took my engine apart I took hundreds of pictures along the way, so I could be sure to put back everything. Technology is awesome….most of the time. Glad you got the fix of the solenoid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.