whats going on

Home Forums General Discussion whats going on

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

When I joined this forum it was very active for the last 6 months it seems less active . At first I thought it was  summer replica fun .Now its mid October ,still quiet . 🙁

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I think it’s teething pains with the new platform. Any other theories?

Toller
    Participant

@toller

I have observed over the last year three areas of interest on the forum. One is the new member who has just bought their car and with a few exceptions undertake a R&R to either fix things that are not working or they want to customize. This group is further broken down into two segments, those that want to do the work themselves and a second one that looks in ernest for a mechanic who knows what an air cooled VW is and is willing to work on it and the TDR owner can afford the cost of the work. If their budget can’t afford to do the R&R they either learn which end of a wrench to hold, extend time lines for the R&R or as a last resort sell the car with a thinner wallet and a tear in their eye. This is the group that can generate a lot of postings hoping to have someone show them how to do something, looking for references or confirming that their research has paid off and they can proceed with rewiring the dash or replacing the rear axle seal knowing someone is available with advice

The second group are those who have completed their R&R, either doing it their self or paying to have someone do it or like one member purchase a virtually new TDR from the manufacturer. The ones who did the R&R themselves have accumulated a lot of experience, taken pics of their rebuild, documented how they did something that was not covered in Muir, Bentley or Haynes. What worked and what did not and where to source parts and which parts or suppliers to avoid. These are the members who can invariably answer just about any question posted by those from group one. They are also are the ones who are rarely satisfied with what they did with the first R&R and rebuild motors, swap out motors, change carbs, distributors, ignitions etc andwant to tell others about what they are doing. They have acquired the know how and confidence to tackle just about anything to tweak the performance of their TDRs.
    The last group can also be active members of either group one or two but have taken their interest to the next level which due proximity are able to socialize with other like minded members. Proximity is a relative term as some members will drive 8-16 hours to meet with other TDR owners

So depending on where you are in the ownership cycle will play a role in how much you participate in the forum.

Almost forgot to include the lurkers, who rarely post either questions or answers. Nothing wrong with being a lurker, I was one before I bought the TDR, but they tend to be newbies who want to get an understanding of the forum and topics before they have the courage to post what they may feel is a dumb question. What I have observed is that the experienced members have a lot more patience than some other forums and will either answer the question or provide a link where the info can be found

So to wrap up a long post you will get out of the forum what you contribute and the only dumb question is the one that is not asked

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Ha, ha, Toller.  I knew immediately whom you were talking about in that first paragraph …   😀

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by John Simion.
    Toller
    Participant

@toller

John
    Happy to see that you have taken my musings in the light hearted manner in which they were posted. Expect that a number of members may see themselves in the groups I wrote about. Hope that others see it the way you did, as there was no intention of offending anyone

As to answering Greg’s OP “What is going on” I am getting the box trailer I picked up on Saturday, wired for both 12V and 120V so I can move the TDR into it for the winter and prevent the critters from chewing up the new wiring, carpet and upholstery I installed this year. In spite of 25C weather (78F) forecast for the rest of the week November snow storms are just 2 weeks away so to placate the wife have to move the TDR out so she can get her car into the single car garage. Buying the enclosed trailer was more economical than building the three car garage I wanted to build and it also can be used for my moose, bear and deeding hunting trips.

What are the members doing to get their TDRs ready for winter. Guys in Florida and California just have to anchor their cars down so they don’t get washed away

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

For me, here in the middle of Georgia, I’ll put a couple of tarps over Moneypenny and secure them with three cargo straps (front, middle, rear). Before that I have to put her back on the low jack stands. I have surgery after Thanksgiving so have to get her ready for winter and the house decorated for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Winter preparations?  Heck, gas up the tank and check the oil and the tires.  It’s DRIVING season here in Las Vegas!  Blue skies and 70s by mid-afternoon all winter long.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Me,I visit everyday to see if there are any new members to greet, or if someone has posted pics of a car show they’ve been in, or just to check in.

Like many member sites the postings go up and down (sort of like the stock market), and right now it’s sort of slow. When (and if) I have something to toss in to the ring, I do.

I heard long time ago about the 80~20 rule; 80% of the work is done by 20% of the workers. It’s the same where ever you are. I’ve always tried to be in the 20% of the workers who contribute.

Just my 2cents worth….

Amor Conquista Todo

Richard and Christine Szydlik Galczynski
    Participant

@rickandchris

🙄 Well said.

1981 Fiberfab Factory built. 1974 VW donor 1600 cc motor, cream body with brown fenders, beige top.
    Gold carpets, golden interior.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Speaking of “driving season” I hereby remind everyone that Thursday, November 3, being the anniversary of the death of “Clack,” the more comely of NPR’s “Tappet Bros.,” is The Second Annual Tommy Magliozzi Memorial Drive Your TD Somewhere Day.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Excellent article link. I will be looking for the reruns of their show on NPR. Thanks Ed!

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

And here’s Bill’s son and 25,000 maniacs heshing up Ocean City. These guys know how to throw a car show.

Comments & criticism welcome.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, he didn’t fall far from the tree.

Well done, Ed.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by billnparts.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

A+

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Very nice, Ed!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks all. Especially Bill, whose excellent son hosted and guided and starred in this episode (to a degree I had not anticipated when I sat down to write it). Sportsmanship will out!

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed,

What a great story — even “greater” since I have met “Sharpy” and her owner.

…story was so well done that I had no choice but to “register” as a user on The City website so I read more “Ed”

Happy Jack

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.