Why did VW make it so difficult to remove

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Why did VW make it so difficult to remove

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

My car came with a relatively new Solex 30 PICT carbeuretor and a box with 2 other carbs in it. There is a 34 PICT which is the one I believe is supposed to be on this engine, and I want to swap it for what’s on there now as it looks clean and in good shape and all the parts are there. The main problem is that the forward 13mm nut (towards the fan shroud) has almost no access to it, no room to swing a wrench or get a socket on it – it needs a “special tool”, an offset or “S” shaped wrench to get it off, which is really getting hard to find in any of the local parts stores but an offset set of metric wrenches is available from Harbor Freight for $19.99. Why do they do that, make it so difficult to work on your car? PIA.

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Dual Port ?  I always get to mine. Slow and easy, Patience. I think if you check a staight 6 inch open end will work, Slow and easy

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

i just replaced the 30 pict1 on my 1600 sp with a universal fit 30 pict something and had no real trouble reaching the hold down nuts. it is my understanding that a 30 pict 1,2 or 3 are for a single portand a 34 pict id dual port and not inter changable without an adapter of some sort. there are some experts on this site that can give you details .
    swittching carbs , like distributers , has a direct effect on tuning and has to be matched so they will perform together. i suggest you read “rob and daves aircooled volkswagen pages” on the internet for some basics or john muir complete idiot book to get a starting point. i just went thru all this myself so welcome to vw’s and good luck to ya

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I have a dual port and you can see that the 30 carb base on there now does not match up like the 34 does. It was fitted on, but it’s not the same as the 34. The 34 was the carb that belongs on there.
    I have tried all kinds of wrenches and I cannot move it even 1/8″, to loosen the nut, as there is no room to swing the wrench unless you remove the fan housing. It needs an offset or “S” curved wrench, and I ordered a set online. I don’t have any metric wrenches anyway, so, add another tool to the collection.
    I will check out Rob and Dave’s site, thanks for that info.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Rob and Dave also comment on how difficult it is to get a grip on that forward nut and recommend an S-wrench. They refer to Aircooled.net which has a 90 degree bent 13mm one for $15.95, which is what I spent for the whole set I ordered from Harbor Freight. I’ll let you know how it works when it arrives. Meanwhile I can’t do anything with that front nut, so hopefully this will solve my problem..

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

A trick I learned way back was to loosen the clamp on each side of the manifold boot just enough to rotate the center part of the manifold toward you and that gives you more access. Also don’t forget to loosen the nut that secures the center manifold section to the engine block.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

VWs are to work on and get to parts. I had a Corvette that you had to pull the engine , or at least lift it up 8 inches off the mounts to change the spark plugs.  Maybe I just like the VWs beacause I have a ton of metric tools. The 30 pict will perform as well as the 34 it depends on the jets. If the carb is not jetted right for the engine, it doesn’t make what size it is, it will run like C**P. if all the components are matched right they work great. The 1300cc Vw was ratyed at 58hp at one time, and the 1600cc that replaced it was rated at 54hp.  Those Germans do strange things. 

Don’t worry be happy!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.