why I got a TDr

Home Forums General Discussion why I got a TDr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I was driving home from Wilmington NC in my LR and saw this beauty .This is exactly like my college roommate’s TD-  She brings back  great vintage memories of driving round my home town Pinehurst  in the winter . Thumbs Up

jebarry2015-10-10 14:36:13

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here’s the link that shows the local MGTDr (VW based) that made me decide on the TD that Ed suggested rather than the Mercedes Gazelle.

newkitman2015-10-10 20:51:56

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Allen cool pics!  thxz 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great stuff! Thanks!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Thanks for your story!
    I’ve always liked the 1930-40 era cars.
    I thought the coachwork was so cool. Curves, smooth lines, and angles. Not slab sided and flat like new cars.
    I know they are not very aerodynamic, but very SEXY!
    My first cars were an MGBGT and Triumph Spitfire, so I have a history with British autos.
    Just couldn’t AFFORD an original TC, TD, A type, etc,.
    When I saw this one for sale on eBay,(it was 3am, and I couldn’t sleep) I snapped it up ASAP!It was on for a total of SIX HOURS before I snagged it. Plus it was only 150 miles away.I drove it home two days later.
    I’ll NEVER regret not getting any sleep THAT night!:lol:

Amor Conquista Todo

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

scubasteve wrote:
    I’ve always liked the 1930-40 era cars.
    Same here. Had always wanted one to drive, not show or attempt to restore, and its not the kind of thing I ever had the money for anyway.
    Was by chance I happened across the sellers ad while looking for a specific older motorcycle I already have and like so much.
    Knew of (other) replica/kit cars since the 1980’s but thought those to be unattainable for me back then and didn’t think about them since that time.
    Really a great thing to have now, fulfilling that dream. Especially after failing to restore a different 1940 car years ago, my only foray into that kind of stuff because I realized I’m not good at it.

So now I continue to look for other people’s cars and have the good fortune to also drive one, albeit a facsimile, too!

LRH2015-10-11 17:44:05

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Driving is the way! And I get to meet other drivers of other neat cars–as here the other day. The TC that came to the cruise-in was a lot rougher than our cars. But what a beauty! And what a great thing to be able to tell the owner, when he inquired about the settings and tunings of Bridget’s SU carbs, that I had to make do with EFI.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I like original cars that haven’t been restored to new, especially ones with original engines. Of course, I don’t like the idea of them rusting away or being unsafe to drive either.

Just that it must be fun to drive an unrestored car that actually shows it’s true age; instead of being like every other new car, with only its time-style difference. I’m a sentimentalist anyhow, so that’s probably why.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I am with LRH.

I like a survivor.
    restoring a perfectly good vintage survivor is like  repainting the Mona Lisa with new paint..UGH!
    I met briefly the owner of the TD yesterday. He looked pretty much like his car here at Pirates Deck  OKI 
    The TD looks rough  but  it appears to be a good daily driver with new interior and  dash ..and probably mechanically sound .

jebarry2015-10-12 15:06:22

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Reminds me of last month at a gathering of British cars. The 78 year old owner told me about a drive he made with a few others years ago and when his fuel pump quit working he used an emergency hand-pump bulb line that was said to be an accessory. Pressurizes the tank to force out gasoline as needed, attaches to tank at fill hole with air-tight plug.

Probably something known to many people with those cars from what I’ve heard about keeping them on the road.
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I owned a TF for a long time and never heard of such an “accessory”.  But, I will say that the fuel pump is located outside the body, just in front of the right passenger side rear wheel where it gets blasted with all sorts of water, sand, salt etc etc.  It (the fuel pump) is a common problem area. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Look at the license plate on that TD up top. Sposed to be bolted with the bottom holes so it lays up under the light. He’s got it down low, probably to cheat the wind.

I like the steering wheel on that one a lot.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thumbs Up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.