wind wings

Home Forums General Discussion wind wings

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bailey
    Participant

@bailey

Wind wings, anyone done any testing on the design of these?  I have mounted some on my TD and they do not seem to be of much help??? Would like to cut down on the wind in the car.  thanks Bailey39949.4603703704

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

My Dad mentioned some sportscars have a “visor” behind the drivers bench seat maybe 6″ above the seat all the way across. I still haven’t seen any examples, but he said that this “visor” really cuts down the wind. I don’t know why, but it has something to do with a change in the aerodynamics. He always wanted to test it with plywood first cut at different heights, and then make one out of plexiglass.

PS Rich (Belfay) made his own windwings that turned out awesome, If you I.M. him I’ll bet he would e-mail you the specs.   Good Luck

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hey Bailey,

I’m going to bust your buns…No malice intended. Wind is something you live with in these cars…it’s half the fun of driving them!

The wind wings just rearrange the air a little. I always thought that they were mostly for looks.

The Porsche Boxster and Mercedes crowd use those screens that pop up behind the seats. We’re the TD Replica crowd

It it won’t mess up your hair, what fun is it anyway!!!

Pink MG39951.6699305556

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hey Gang.

I remember reading on a british car site that these were sometimes called kidney shields.  I suppose since they redirected some of the air going into the area above the door?

Ringo

Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

This is serious.  My 52 MGVW at about 50, 55 the wind really is most unconforable.  I need some idea that works.  I haven’t tried wind wings and would appreciate any suggestions that may help or work.

It seems the windshield would be a good place to attach, but if anyone has an idea that works, please let me know. 

Lee Truman

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Lee

Wind wings do work.  I think maybe Rich made some custom ones but I can’t seem to find that post here in the forum right now.  I know they are available through Moss Motors. They attach to the windshield frame and appear to be pretty universal from replica brand to brand.

Ringo

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Lee,

My post is under TDReplicas and is called New Wind Wings. I have tried two different designs and made them myself out of Plexi-Glas.

No Wind Tunnel tests or anything that scientific. My impression is that they do change the side wind aero but not much. I think that the car was just not designed to minimize turbulance. In fact, I’d say that if you wanted to come up with a list of design features to MAXIMIZE wind turbulance, most of the TD features would be on that list. I think that the combination of the flared front fenders and flat windshield are the biggest contributers.

If you start to modify the body features to minimize turbulance, you’ll eventually end up with a BMW Z4 and an empty wallet. My solution is to drive the back roads and minimize highway travel.

Rich

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

If I recall correctly, most of the turbulence comes in from the rear of the car. Rich is correct that the basic design is such that turbulence is what you live with. Not much manufacturer concern about wind and noise comfort back in the pre-war and early post war sports cars.

Again, Rich is correct about today’s convertibles. I remember the Cadillac Allante advertisements where a woman drove in the car at 100 mph just after getting her hair done and not a hair was out of place. I’m sure that car spent days in a wind tunnel to acheive that.

Even the high end Porsche, BMW and Mercedes drop tops have interior turbulence problems and minimally fix their’s by that screen located behind the seats.

Wind wings will help a little, but not much. I actually used ear plugs and wore my baseball cap backwards to keep it on. You are about 80% exposed in these cars. The turbulence comes along with the territory. Hey, my VW based car’s front end got really “light” at anything over 60 mph anyway. The light weight and kite-like front fenders were not a great match.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

OK I have to put my 2 cents in. Wind in your hair is part of it all ,at this time my wife and I have 3 convertibles Camaro,&a PT and have had 13 over the years, the best for NO wind is the camaro, the worst is the PT. and that car has a bar over the back to cut wind and it doe’s nothing . I tryed wind wings and I truly think they helped verry little. when I get to work I have to brush my hair, but that is ok I take the TD more than the outher cars at least there no bugs in my teeth as with a motorcycle I do miss Connecticut A no helmit state . give me the wind !! The TD has all the Airodinamics of a brick but what a joy to drive and look at!!                   Dan R

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mark is correct. Most of the wind is coming from behind. The windshield creates a vacuum and the air rushes over the top of the glass, and makes a u-turn into the back of your head.

I find the wings smooth some air going down the sides. But Dan R is on target…the wind is part of the fun. If you need to stay covered (like I do!) do what the motorcycle guys do…wear a doo-rag. I can vouch they will stay on beyond 80 mph.

When my daughter was about six, we were out for a ride, and before I could stop her, she pulled the “stretchy” off her pony tail. Her hair immediately wrapped around her face and seemingly tied itself together in knots.”  Funny now. Not funny then, trying to detangle with just my hands.

And for you ex NJRC guys, my “little” Lauren will be 16 in a few months.

PMOSSBERG40006.4742939815

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

W. Lee

When I first got the Duchess, took off the wind wings.  Put them back on cause they did help and I thought they looked good.

How much do they help? Depends on speed.  Like the older cars with vent windows, when they were open they definitley cut down on turbulence coming through the main door window. In a convertable they help mainly at low to medium speeds.  Once the speed is highway the back turbulence and vacuum created over the flat windshield pretty much negate any wind wing from making a noticable difference. In fact, at higher speeds they may well produce enough turbulence as to produce a vortex that draws more air into the car. 

Might try to get a passenger to hold a similarly sized piece of plywood in place on the passenger side (holding extra tight!) and see if they can tell enough difference to be worth the cost/labor. (If anyone tries this and it comes loose on the highway, you didn’t hear it from me!)

Ringo

Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

Ringo:

Thanks for the time and information.  I wish I had a pattern, but am going to cut some tomrrow.  If anyone wants to get into this, I used the wind wing hinges which were on my MGTC. and am going to try to cut plexie glass and have it look ok.  I had to cut the inside of the hinges down but so far I think they will work.  My biggest problem is with the DMV of California. 

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

My Car didn’t have wind wings when I got it. I added them, I don’t think them make a great difference  but they sure have curb appeal.

Let us know how the project is coming

Mel

luvmytd40010.2835532407

Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

Mel:

I made my wind wing large, really large.  It helps up to 55 or so, quite a bit.  But it doesn’t look right.  So I am still looking for a pattern. 

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Wind avoidance solution….spend about half an hour or so attaching the top to the windshield…position top bows…try stretching the the rear to the snaps without tearing the material (since it hasn’t been up in years)…zip and snap all of the side curtain pieces into place…unzip and unsnap the area around the drivers door since you’re still outside the vehicle :)…get in and resnap and rezip….head on down the highway in wind free comfort…if you have side mirrors try to remember that objects in the mirrors are not as wavy as they appear, its probably just your wrinkled plastic windows!!! I have to agree with Pink MG & Dan R….it’s a convertible…it’s supposed to be windy!! on a more serious note, make sure they aren’t too loose…my passenger side somehow loosened up a bit and at speed did the best imitation of a hummingbird wing I’ve ever seen…thought it would tear itself from the windshield!
    mindseyeblind40013.0681712963

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I have the pattern for the Moss Motors wing wings plexiglass, full size with dimensions in PDF format. If anyone wants me to email you a copy, let me know and I will be glad to send it. Rich made a beautiful set. You can send me a message thru the site private messager, and I’ll email it. If you look in the photo gallery thru the forum, you can see the wind wings in most of my photos.

James

JasCochran40013.4147800926

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.