Wire Wheels for VW

Home Forums General Discussion Wire Wheels for VW

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’ve been corresponding with Truespoke about the possibilities of a wire wheel for the VW 15 inch, 4 x 130mm bolt pattern.

They are considering it. But it’s not as easy as just drilling a new hub. The four bolt pattern does not align with the spoke pattern, so it means designing an entire new wheel.

Truespoke’s pricing runs around $1,700 to $1,800 for a set of four fifteen inch wheels.

Does that sound reasonable?

I suggested $2,000 for a set of five would be a great deal. I have no idea how seriously they would consider that.

What do you guys & gals think? Is there interest in real wires in this price range?

Truespoke’s web site is:

truespoke
    PMOSSBERG40061.6447222222

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Any comments?

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I for one prefer steel wheels. $2,000 is a lot of $$ to spend on wheels. I guess the market is just not there anymore…unless you’re a low-rider.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Mark,

Steel with TD caps is my preferred approach too.

But there has been a lot of chatter about wire baskets, wire wheels etc. But there are no sources for VW bolt pattern true wires. It seems TrueSpoke may be an option. All I would do is share that info with TrueSpoke.

PMOSSBERG40065.9661111111

Paul Mossberg

chuck schmit
    Participant

@chuckles

I definately prefer the Whitewalls on wire for a black or dark car. I’m stuck in the 50’s I guess!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I would love to see Bridget with tru wires all around. Ringo’s car (is it Ringo’s, with the trick third brake light set behind the spare’s basket?) looks gorgeous. But $2,000 is more than I’m prepared to spend on her–at least for a dress-up item. Wish I was richer, I guess.

chuck schmit
    Participant

@chuckles

I like the wire hubcap idea and there are not too many choices, I can’t even find tires to fit ! I blacked out the chrome “platter” behind the spokes and the wheels look a lot better to me. When you look at a real wire wheel you don’t see a shiney platter, you see black nothingness or maybe a caliper and rotor. I have an mgb that has wire wheels (and Lucas electrical!) and I love the look. There are a lot of these wheels around so I’m going to look at the possibilities for fitting mg hubs on the vw spindle. it will take some machining for sure!

Stephen Chuck
    Participant

@scchuck

I just bought a Duchess that had bolt on wire wheels, even the spare is a true spoke.  They are stainless as well. Nice look.  They really make the car look like a true British sports car.  If I could post a picture, I’m new here and don’t know how yet, I would post one for you to see what they look like.

Steve

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Steve: post a picture using the tree with up arrow button above the “post reply” window. Fifth square from the left, top row. It’ll prompt you to browse your computer for a photo. It limits the size to 500 mb, so be sure to resize them first. Good luck.

Greg Stickney
    Participant

@stickney

Have you checked out Daytona wires?
    Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.