chevette transmission

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits chevette transmission

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Neil J Flaherty
    Participant

@profile57

Am a new BCW owner.  Having sporadic problems with reverse lock-ou.  Sometimes fine, other times won’t press down for entry to access reverse, and other times allows access any time (scary). Any recomends would be grateful.  Otherwise love the car!

New Hampshire    Neil

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I have a spare Chevette 4 speed trans that was totally remanufactured. It was shelf stock in a transmission shop that closed. After 45 years in business, the guy sold all of his equipment and parts and retired.

In order to change or work on a trans in a BCW car, you’ll have to remove the engine and trans as a unit and tear half the interior out of the car to remove the “hump” that is rivetted in. I know…mine is still apart.

The transmission is connected to a welded-in plate on the crossmember. Because of this, you can’t simply drop it out the bottom of the car. In addition, when you pull the engine/trans as a unit, you can’t raise the trans high enough to clear the crossmember/mount plate…it hits the floor hump!!! What a nightmare.

I modified the plate to bolt in and out for allowing the trans to be dropped out the bottom of the car if it ever has to come out again. If you send me a private e-mail (pinkmg@verizon.net) I’ll send some pics.

All this was because the speedometer drive gear, the worm gear on the tail shaft, had disintegrated and I had no speedometer required for NJ inspection.

By the way, these 4 speed transmissions were from the Opel Kadett. Later Chevettes offered a 5 speed OD, but they won’t fit the TD replica’s without a lot of modifications.

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and am in the process of rejuvenating a 1985

BCW Model TD with a 1976 Chevette engine and transmission. I have the

same problem with the transmission. After driving the car at least thirty

minutes, it will not shift into reverse. However, after sitting for 20 to 25

minutes, it works fine. This doesn’t happen all the time, but enough to be

bothersome. I’ve got another problem with steering, but I’ll post that

separately.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Contact Rick Drake in Everett, WA. He is America’s Chevette “Guru”. His phone number and the Chevette Forum URL are listed under the Vendors threads here.

Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

Pink MG wrote:

You touched on NJ requirements in this post. I’m a brand new kit owner from northern NJ. Can you mention some other NJ registration requirements, including required paperwork? Thanks, Joe Monesmith

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Joe, Look under ”general disscussion” topic  ”title and registration” for info on the requirements in all 50 states.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Joe,

Check out this post, which has a link to a site maintained by SEMA:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1358& PN=3

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.