Classic Roadsters Duchess Wind Wings

Home Forums General Discussion Classic Roadsters Duchess Wind Wings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

After searching for 8 years, I finally made the unique Wind Wing mounts for my Duchess. The chrome plexiglass bracket piece came from a Cobra web site “FinishlineAccessories.com” for $80, including all hardware, OUCH! Hind sight, I should of made them out of 3/4 inch channel Aluminum, like I did the 1/2 inch channel wind shield mounting bracket, which I purchased from Home Depot for $5.99. Pictures are below in the following post, which are also on my profile page. It took me 2 days to make 4 hinges, they are a little rough, but I am trying to get ready for a car show this weekend here in Florida. I had a sign company make new plexiglass Wings for $80, using my old Wings as a template. This has been a pricy adventure, but what else has a retired guy to do besides drink beer and do car shows, (big grin).

Dave

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by davearoy. Reason: Correct spelling error

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

https://tdreplica.com/members/davearoy/media/464/

Sorry Paul, I am trying to post a picture of my manufactured Wind Wing for my Classic Roadster Duchess. I am using my IPad and posting pics already uploaded to my TDr sites profile page. Can you maybe make my pics live? Thanks I appreciate you brother!

Dave

Dave

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Apple products do not like this site. For photos use your desktop.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

That’s some fine work if I do say so! Mighty fine indeed!!! My wind wing hinges are also from Classic Roadsters Ltd. and I like yours better!!! The previous owner replaced nuts and bolts with whatever was around the garage and the plexiglass is amber…I’ll be replacing mine before long…

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice job, Dave! Like I always say, “fabrication is FUN!” (Ok, I’ve never said this).

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Thanks guys your comments are very flattering and encouraging to make my next set better. I can not believe that I did not think of doing this before. I gave the fabricated brackets the 65 + test today on the interstate, and they held up with no problems what so ever. My next set will have just a little taller side walls to increase the strength of the windshield side bracket mount.

“Neccesity is the mother of invention”

Regards………. Dave

Dave

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Dave
    Can see that you are starting from the aluminum channel on left and then fabbed the half of the hinge in second image. The ears of the fabbed piece appear to be of a higher profile than what you started with. Die you weld the aluminum ears or is it just optics? Assume the third image was the template of what you gabbing, correct. In fourth image you are showing chrome left half and the fabbed right joined with SS or chrome bolt and what looks like a nylon bushing that when tightened together provide the friction tension that keeps the hinge parts from closing. Correct? Would adding star washers between the bushing and the inside ears of the hinge help with retaining the tension without damaging hinge ears? Looks like a practical solution for anyone who want to add adjustable wings. The wings on my FF are fixed so can not be adjusted

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Hey David,  I appreciate your astute observations. I used 1/2 ” channel Aluminum stock, the ears are 1/2″ so you are just seeing optics from the angle. Yes the 3rd image was the original Duchess part that I used as a temple. I looked for 8 years to find an exact replica, before it occurred to me to just make a replica out of Aluminum channel stock. I left a wall of approximently 1/8″ high to give the bracket some strength. I also heated this Aluminum bracket, and bent it ever so little, to match the original, and the slight curve of the windshield frame. You are correct, the plastic bushing is to prevent any “crushing” caused by tightening of the bolt and nut. I did use a star washer between the nut and the steel chrome u shaped bracket that is mounted to the Plexiglass Wind Wing. This gives plenty of tightening power so the hinge does not move while driving. This system works so well, that I find I have to loosen the tension on the hinge during car shows as if someone bumps into the Wind Wing, or if pranksters purposely turn my mirrors and the Wind Wings, they will move freely, and not crack the Plexiglass. I hope that I have answered your questions. Thanks for asking.

Regards

Dave

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.