dashboard

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project dashboard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

I need to replace my dashboard. Can anyone tell me how thick it is? So I can buy the wood before I remove lt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

3/4 of an inch. Sometimes dash needs to be relived to install the gauges. Mark all positions of the electrical wires before removing gauges, makes it easier to install after dash is made..

Toller
    Participant

@toller

My FF TDR mahogany dashboard was 5/8″ but I know it had been put through a thickness planer by PO as there was evidence of knife glazing that had not been sanded out. The black walnut that I used to replace it was planed to 7/8″ and I had to cut a rabbet to fit the speedo and tach

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I bought a 3/4″ piece of solid oak when I did mine. After I cut the shape of the dash I then routered around the top where it screws onto the fiberglass so it didnt stick out to far. I didnt mark the guages since I was changing the look anyway. I also didnt mark the wireing since I was going to do a complete overhaul of the electrical system. My approach is less is more and keep it simple.
    When youre ready to finish your dash remember to use plenty of sealer like spar varnish to protect from the elements. I dont know about you but as my daily driver Eliza Jane sees plenty of rainy days on the road.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Another finishing product you may want to consider is Cetol. It is one of the few products available in Canada that is certified for external use and is oil based. I used it on skirt of hot tub for years   My experience with spar varnish is that if surface is comprised and water gets into space between wood and varnish the varnish will turn white, blister and will have to be sanded down. With Cetol I just rough up with 0000 steel wool or 3M pad and apply another coat. I currently have three coats of a teak colour for depth and three coats of clear on both sides to protect the finish. It also has some UV inhibitors to prolong the life of the finish

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Well, I am somewhat embarrassed. I would have preferred a large piece of solid walnut or mahogany, but could not find one large enough, even on eBay. I just used 7/16″ walnut plywood that I got from Home Depot online, and reinforced it on the back. I sealed it well and then put a 7/16″ plastic chrome strip on the top. I am happy with the appearance, especially since I am not a wood expert. The biggest problem with the plywood was that the veneer edges tended to chip, although I have hid them pretty well. I agree with Toller about the Cetol, because I just used urethane varnish and it was hard to work with and would have the problems he mentioned (blistering and turning white) if it got wet. Fortunately I live in Vegas, where its hot and dry and unlikely to get wet.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Mine is solid burled oak planed to about 1/4 in thick.

Works great for the gauges and sits tight to the fiberglass so the welting looks right to me.
    The only thing I did was add a thicker piece of wood along the bottom to strengthen it and help with the steering column attachment.   
    Used marine grade poly from Home Depot to finish it ( 2-3 coats I think ) and not touched it for 10-13 years.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Schu’s dashboard is nice, and after 13 years he can brag.

Bridget’s earlier dash was also 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick. When I replaced it I made the new one thicker to take screws along the edges for the glovebox door and the metal trim. The original TD dash was about 1/2-inch thick; I ended up at about 5/8.
    I will again argue for Pelucid + Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Mine’s only a few years old but these tests show it should do every well for the long haul.

edsnova2016-03-25 22:06:45

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

If I’m not mistaken, is the dash on a London Roadster part of the fiberglass body?
    I thought about replacing mine until I took a closer look. I think the “wood” dash is either photo decal or very thin veneer.

Amor Conquista Todo

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I think the dash is  Formica – wood appearance ..

.I have looked behind the dash and it  appears  separate 
    Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

Thanks for all the info. Now I just need to deside on the wood. I have so cherry wood that was cut over twenty years ago, may use that.

Gordon Waples
    Participant

@allison-gw

Excellent choice on the cherry, I have an Allison where the dash is moulded right into the body with a thin wood looking laminate on top, took off the laminate and used cherry veneer plywood. It started as 1/2” but I planed it down to a 1/4”, came up really nice

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

Good, I have a friend with a planner, so l can take it down to the size that I need.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.