Fender stretching

Home Forums Fender stretching

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Man, some people are never satisfied! I actually like the idea of a spare tire cover, Jack, but I think on a wire wheel the tire would be the only thing covered.

There is no reasonable way to make a luggage rack work with the wire wheel; the spinner sticks out too far. Only thing I could see happening would be one of those fold-down “low shelf” dealies, with the ladder bars spaced to miss the spinner. This would work on a BCW in general, but would play havoc with your ability to tinker. A quick-release system would be the only way.

Now for your edification: the thrilling conclusion of Project Spare Wheel Carrier (AKA Project Waste A Perfectly Fine Day Off).

Spoiler:

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

WOW!!

Lookin’ GREAT.  Thanks for the step-by-step pictures on your BLOG — they do a great job in walking a viewer through the project.

…and I agree, just cover the tire and let the rest of the beauty of the wire wheel and knock-off can shine through.  And I guess we really don’t need a luggage rack, unless you can design one and cobble together a prototype — now that you are just about finished with your spare tire holder project (just needs paint, eh?)

Happy Jack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Long-time no-post, fellas. Been busy at work & stuff. Today it was mid-50s so I got back after my fenders.

They’re starting to shape-up OK, I think.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

More progress on Bridget‘s body work.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Always good to see progress. Coming along nicely.👍

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Well today we have an unexpected milestone.

Yeah, that is paint on my newly-stretched left front fender. But it’s a little misleading…

It’s kind of a “sacrificial” color coat so I can see how mucked-up my smackem putty job is. They say you never see the flaws until you put a shine to it anyway, so…Duplicolor rattle-can, baby!

But…NOT BAD!

This is actually way better than I thought it would be, given that it’s not yet been wet-sanded at all. Just dry-blocked with one of them fancy new sanding “sponges.” I think I like those!

So now we’re down to the wet block-sanding part, with the high number sand papers. This fender will probably just get paint next. The others will be primed again before the final color shot.

Man, I can’t wait to get all that dust and crap sucked out of the lift bay.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Really looks great Ed. That fender just need a good coat of wax and tada!

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Ed, you are a wizard!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Went to put on the front wheels tonight to get Bridget back to rolling status. Whoops.

Ratza-fratza…

Here’s an interesting observation I hope Roy (he of the vast wire wheel experience) will clear up:

The left (driver’s) side wire wheel hub spins on clockwise (i.e. normal threads). But the bearing keepers on that side spin on counter-clockwise. Hmmm.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, you’re thinking too much.   (I think 😐 )

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Or not enough!

Hey does anyone have one of these bearing adjuster pinch bolts you could mail me? I’d buy two new nuts but the shipping from Cip1 will kill me and I don’t have a long enough shopping list to get to free shipping….

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Ed

I will take a look in my VW coffee can- I might – which side do you need?

Turning right to tighten or turning left to tighten?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Shu. If you can’t find any let me know. I have two new ones (one of each) in my parts bin. Left over from a Beetle I did a few years before getting the TDr. I’ll mail them up to you Ed if Shu doesn’t find his. I don’t foresee using them.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, guys. It’s the driver’s side. (counter-clockwise to tighten). But I only need the pinch bolt. The split nut seems to be undamaged.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Ed

Sorry  – assumed it snapped off in the nut when it broke.

Will take a look – if I can one it’s yours.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, Dale. As per the photo, the bolt did snap off in the nut. But it’s sticking out the other side such that I am confident I can turn it through with a needle-nose vicegrip or similar. The thing lives its life buried in grease after all.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Put on the back wheels tonight. Little red Locktite where the through bolts I’m using as wheels studs go through the drum. Little blue Locktite on the lug nuts holding on the knock-off adaptor. Tops of the fenders cover the tires now.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, Allen, Schu had the same deal I did: extra spindles but no extra axle nuts. Looks like you’re up. I PM’d you my address. And thanks!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Cool beans. Commin at you Monday AM. I sent a reply to your PM.

Allen

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by newkitman.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks a lot, man. Let me know when I can step up and help you.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Project Fender-Stretch continues apace.

I will say that daylight casts unflattering aspersions on my bodywork so far. But I’m not beaten!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed. Curious. Are you applying Duplicolor as a primer coat and color coat? And what is adhesion promoter and where do you get it? I ask because I have some areas that will need touch-up; front portion of fender in front of grille, passenger door and entire splash pan. Cutting to fit and adjusting takes its toll on a paint job, even on Gelcoat. Reminds me of being in Strategic Air Command (SAC) when we said, “hammer it to fit and paint it to match.”   😆

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, Don’t know if you are having any trouble but, a year ago when painting a fender, I had trouble getting a consistent spray out of the Duplicolor can.  So, I decanted the spray cans into a small plastic (not foam) container using a drinking straw, let it sit for about 15 minutes and used the paint in my detail gun.  Worked a treat.  Now, somewhat expectedly, the fender looks better than the rest of the car.  I did apply several coats of primer, about 10 coats of color, and about 5 coats of clear.  All with lots of light wet sanding between each.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Allen: It’s all dupicolor stuff I bought at Advance Auto. The touch-up spray is an excellent match for this Ford Toreador Red. I also have some red scratch-filler primer.

The “adhesion promoter” is just that. On the rack with the rest of the paint. It’s mainly for painting vinyl or plastic trim pieces, chrome, aluminum, etc. You prep the part by sanding off the coating and cleaning it with acetone or similar. Then spray the adhesion promoter (which is clear), then the color within 10 minutes of that.

Roy: you’re right.

Most of my problem so far is lack of light and patience, compounded by lack of paint. I’ll be visiting my parts store for more primer, some 320 grit, more 400, some 600. I think I have 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 in the shop but I’ll ckeck.

Maybe a new tack rag too while I’m at it.

And more color. These come in small cans and I bought them out already–3 cans. That ain’t gonna get this.

Pr maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and try real paint. I do have the sprayers now—just don’t know if they work.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.