Less than One Day left on eBay

Home Forums General Discussion Less than One Day left on eBay

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Here’s a Fiber Fab red MG TD replica for sale on eBay.  Auction ends tomorrow just after 8:00 a.m. (“Auction” is a link to the ebay ad)

(PS: Sorry for butting in mglr…but the original link did not work, Paul)

PMOSSBERG40757.9183333333

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

$18,000 replacement cost?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The seller would be better off letting the car get totaled or stolen! 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I saw that ad on craigslist maybe 2 months ago when I was looking for a car, and it has been on eBay for a few weeks. He’s getting divorced and says he can’t put the wife up for sale, but maybe she’s less expensive or easier to sell than the car, and then he could keep the MG.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Yes, he told me that he can’t put HER up on eBay, so he has to sell the car.  It’s a Domestic Situation.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Thanks Paul.  I guess I’m still learning how to work with this site.  No problems and I appreciate your help.  This particular car did not meet the Reserve Price, so it did not sell.

There is another replica on eBay with a starting bid of $10,000. Let me try to post this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp ; ; ;_trksid=p4340.m748&item=170674892752&viewitem=& _trkparms=clkid%3D1803036388899664111

I just tried it and it didn’t work.  I think I need another lesson.  I copied the link from my brower, pasted in the message and clicked on the Add Hyperlink button (third from the right on the bottom row).  What did I do wrong?

PMOSSBERG40758.5394675926

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Not sure.

I did the same thing to edit your post.

When you clicked the link icon, did you paste the url into the field in the opo-up window?

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I did not paste the url into the window.  After I clicked on the Add Hyperlink button, the link changed to blue and looked like it was live.  I have tried on previous attempts to paste the url into that window, and I was also unsuccessful.  I’ll try that again when I have another opportunity.
    The link I put in just now worked for me.  Did you do something to change my post again?  Just curious.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hee hee. Yeah, I edited the link in your post.

One thing I am NOT able to explain…when I paste a url into a post, sometimes the forum automatically recognizes the link. Other times I have to also paste the url into the link pop-up. No clue why it sometimes works differently.

Paul Mossberg

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

My insurance company (State Farm) required me to use their appraiser for a replacement value when I first bought it, $18,500, so mine is insured for that.  Guess this guy on ebay really took it to heart as the selling value too.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The seller would probably say he’s giving you a great deal with a $12,000 Buy It Now! 

I hope he gets it!

He won’t. But it would be nice for all us owners if he did!

Paul Mossberg

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Montie: I carry State Farm on our house, my wife’s Taurus and my old Ford Ranger, but our agent (we’ve been with him since 1978) said they wouldn’t write coverage on a kit car. Tried to convince him that the Lafer isn’t a kit, but couldn’t. Ended up going with Hagerty, but don’t really know what I’d get if the Lafer were stolen or totaled.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I have 2 cars insured with Geico and they also told me they won’t insure my car for anything other than my liability if I get into an accident. Not even the mechanical breakdown/towing insurance that’s on the other cars.
    I have to find another company that will insure the car for theft/vandalism and collision insurance also, like on the other cars.
    Any suggestions?

BTW, there’s at least 5 or 6 MGTD replicas on eBay now, going for between $5-8,000 asking price.

mrlmd40759.0109490741

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Haggerty has stated value insurance. If the car is totaled you get a check for the full value you have it insured for. Full coverage liability and comprensive, under and uninsured motorist as well same as any other vehicle. Even roadside assistance and towing is included. I have 3 cars wth them. You tell them a reasonable value you want the car insurred for and you get a quote. As long as the car isn’t your primary or secondary mode of transportation they really don’t care how many miles you put on it. The best part is they are very reasonable on their premium’s.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

There is an extensive insruance discussion here:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=536&P N=2

Paul Mossberg

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Amazing – their quote for a $7000 stated value and 50 mile towing is just about the same as Geico covering me for liability only!
    As soon as I get my car back from the engine rebuild to be finished today, I’m going to make the switch.
    Thanks for that one.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

The car bidding started at $10,000 are you kidding!!!

He also said it has anti-lock brakes, a leather interior and it is correctly titled as a 1936???

I do not recall any air-cooled Beetle donor that came with anti-lock brakes or MG making a TD in 1936. I’ll bet this guy also doesn’t know the difference between vinyl and leather.

Reminds me of the a guy at the Atlantic City Convention Hall Car Auction/Show a few years ago. There was a poorly built VW based CMC TD titled as a 1952 MG-TD that he won the bidding on for $14,000. They had actually auctioned it as a real 1952 MG-TD based on the title.

He had it in the car corral the following year trying to sell it for $15,000 or he was headed to divorce court. His wife told him don’t bother coming home if he didn’t have the cash! 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Caveat  Emptor!

Makes you wonder if the seller is intentionally misrepresenting or just an idiot!

I’m channeling Bill Engvall, “It’s a sign….”

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hmmm…I sure hope the seller is not a forum member!

Paul Mossberg

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Bill,

I wonder why your agent couldn’t insure yours.  I wonder if there is different state regulations within State Farm.   My agent even came out took pictures of the car for their files.   I took it back up last month so he could document the engine with pictures. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

You want Agreed Value, a not Stated Value collector/specialty car insurance. Agreed Value reimburses total loss for the value the car is insured for.

IMHO, NEVER use a “daily driver” company to insure these cars.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Insurance 101

To really understand what you are buying, you need to understand the difference between the value used to determine the price of your insurance and the actual coverage set forth in the policy.

Regardless of the terms used by the insurer?you MUST read the actual policy itself to determine how the company will settle a loss if your car is damaged.

Either term, ?Stated Value? or ?Agreed Value? may be used, and MIS-USED, to mean similar or very different things.

Let?s look at the price side first.

For a mass production vehicles, insurers know what the cost basis of the car is, and it is easy for them to rate it.

For our cars, there is no generally available reference. So the client and the insurer must ?agree? to a value.

The term “Stated Value” usually (but not always) refers to the value to be used to determine the price of your insurance. But I have also seen insurers use the ?Agreed Value? term to mean the same thing.

The bottom line is this point is meaningless in the pricing context. If you are happy with the premium?great! It does not matter what the insurer calls it.

BUT??let?s now look at what you bought. The Coverage in the Policy.

You may see the same terms used again in the policy. And you know what? It still does not matter!

You have to read the contract. ALL of it! Read the coverage language. And more importantly, read the Loss Settlement language.

In your normal policy?.if a vehicle is damaged and it is an insured loss, the settlement is always, ALWAYS on an “actual cash value” basis. This is referred to as ?ACV?. This means the insurer will pay the LESSER of:

• cost to repair the vehicle or
    • the ACTUAL CASH VALUE of the vehicle at the time of the loss.

ACV means the DEPRECIATED value! The three year old car that you paid $30,000 for when it was new is no longer worth $30,000 and the insurer won’t pay you that amount!

You guys that have your kit car insured on your regular auto insurance, State Farm, Geico, whomever, I can almost guarantee you your policy is written as an ACV policy. If your TD replica is damaged or totaled, the insurer will rely on the above language to pay a depreciated amount, and it will be LESS than the ?Stated Amount? or the ?Agreed Value? used to price your policy.

Antiques, classic cars, collector cars normally do NOT depreciate. In fact they may increase in value. Specialty insurers know this. And they write insurance for you with COVERAGE that is based on an Agreed Value.

The Loss Settlement provisions will read something like this:

In the event of a loss, we (the insurer) will pay you the lesser of:

• The cost to repair the vehicle, or
    • The Agreed Value stated in the policy declarations

You will NOT see the term ?actual cash value? or ?ACV? referenced in the policy. That is, the insurer will NOT depreciate  the value of your  TD. If they agreed to insure it for $10,000, and  the car is totalled, they will pay you $10,000.

I hope this is clear. But please ask questions and I will try to explain further.

PMOSSBERG40760.519537037

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.