New to the forum

Home Forums General Discussion New to the forum

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    greg
    Participant

@greg

Hello, my name is Greg. I am new to the forum and MGTD world. I have

always wanted one since watching Funny Farm with Chevy Chase. They have

unique style and just look fun. So, we bought a VW replica which we love.

This car didn’t come with a top. I hate to be dumb, but where do you look to

find the frame for the car top? I have found some, but I’m not sure they will

fit this replica. Any ideas would be of great appreciation. Thanks to

whomever set up this forum… to cool!

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hi Greg, Welcome to the forum. We are always glad to get new members . Good people and good info here.

The top frames for our cars are simply two pieces of pipe cut and bent to fit. A boat dealer can provide the fittings to attach them to the body and some dealers can make the top as well.

Click on the photo gallery at the top right and look at the different cars and you will get an idea of how they are set up.

William J Collins
    Participant

@bill-collins

hi Greg. I think I have a frame that might fit. If interested I’ll measure

and let u know . Interested.. PM ME

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Greg,

Welcome aboard!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Hi Greg ,,,,,,,,,,I think if you look at past posts you WILL find all the infomation you need .. good luck  Dan R

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

There is always MG Magic, they have the top bows and the hardware.

greg
    Participant

@greg

Thanks for all the help. You all seem like a great bunch of folks.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome aboarg Greg. Which VW based TD do you have? CMC Fiberfab, Daytona Migi, Duchess? Is the car a driving work in progress?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

greg
    Participant

@greg

Thanks Allen, man I honestly don’t know the VW flavor but it is a

driving work in progress. Is there a way I can tell?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

There are different ways but the easiest is to check the photo gallery up top and look for a car like yours. ALSO, PMossberg and I believe Edsnova are working the differences between the kits on another thread. A photo of yours will help to as I’m sure many members will beable to tell you. I have a CMC Fiberfab and am new to the TD kit cars. Been working VWs since 1980.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

The measurements for the Fiberfab are here.

This may give you an idea of the size relative to your replica. This frame mounts to the inside and not on top of the tub.

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

Because of all the different manufactures I would try to find who made yours. Prorbably a CMC/ Fiberfab. You might want to get a boat or car upholstery shop to make the top to fit. Mine is a little short on head room for me. I am 6 foot 1. Good luck and welcome aboard. What part of the country do you live in?

Live life to the fullest!    If there is room left you are not living close enough to the edge! 

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Greg,

You need to figure out which manufacturer built your TD replica before you shop for parts. One size does not always fit all TD replicas.

The different TD replica manufacturers did not build to the same dimensions. Some are identical to the original TD. They can use original parts. $$$. Others are wider, longer, lower, taller. They need manufacturer specific parts for some purposes and generic for others.

Look on the body for a nameplate. It might be on any documentation you received with the car.

The manufacturer’s comparison on this Forum might help. Click on “Forum – My Project – Manufacturer Comparison” for pictures and descriptions. It’s a work in progress but it’s a good tool for differentiating the manufacturers.  

The VW kit section contains a lot of information on maintaining VWs. Oil, valves, leaks, steering boxes and dampers. It’s based on personal experiences with the cars.  

Peter

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Welcome Greg,  post some pictures and one of us might be able to help you ID your car.Montie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.