Oil leak

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Oil leak

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Well after almost 4 years of putting up with a oil leak (aka high crank case pressure) I may have resolved it.   By brother-in -law Don came for a vist with a set of leak down gauges.   We spent most of Sat afternoon testin and tinkering.  Results:  all 4 cyl has 120 to 125 lbs compression Smile, all 4 cyl only had about 12 % leak Smile.. So far so good.  So why is the pvc blowing out and oil vapors and oil going all over the engine conpartment?  I ask????  Don is a pretty good mechanic on bikes and just about everything he touches.   He reached down and pulled the pvc hose out from the intake, and found absoutly no vaccumn when he put his finger over it.   After removing the carb we found the entire port area was totaly caked and baked with carbon, hard as a rock Confused.  Spent about 2 brown bottles Beer time soaking and scraping the crud out, 2 new gaskets and shes purring like a kitten.  Too soon to tell if thats all the oil leak but was or I may have to replace a few seals again (ft cam seal for one) that may have been damaged.  But for now NO rebuild this winter, Clap YEAAA! 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Glad it worked out without an engine teardown for you.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

NICE!  Carbon! That happens.

Wonder if you got a little in your combustion chambers too? It might do to get a half pint of windshield washer fluid in a cup and a very thin hose attached to the bottom of your carb (the disty advance hose works good). Rev her a little and let the motor sip that watery stuff, little by little, for a few minutes. That should break up any carbon on the piston tops or around the valves. You can usually see some of it spit out the tail pipe.

(This might lower your static compression just a bit too, but should run better anyway).

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I wouldn’t use washer fluid. Plenty of dedicated chemicals for top end cleaning.

The Ford has an oil seperator at the block at the end of that PCV hose.

Make sure that’s clean too. It’s a bear to get at, though.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Used faucet water on the old chebby deux when she developed a knock that one time after I’d banged through the gears at 5000 rpm–course this was AFTER we’d dropped the pan and pulled the main & rod caps.

Turned out the old motor–which I’d pulled from a wagon that’d done five-six year’s duty as a keg & liquor delivery vehicle–had some carbon building up, which my throttle-based enthusiasm had shaken loose.

Cleared it out with just water. I figgured a touch of alcohol couldn’t be bad.

But right: this was long ago & far away.

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Transmission fluild also works well.Hold at a higher RPM and pour slowly down the carb.Best recomended on an old back country road as it will produce alot of smoke.

I also recall reading where the 55 chevys burned oil off the transport truck,the fix was pouring boraxo cleanser down the carb while running at a higher rpm.This provided enough abrasive to sand and reseat the rings and no more oil burning.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

We’re showing our age here guys.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have no idea what all you old guys are talking about! Ermm

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Wow ,BaBo fix , that was a fix to keep your older car running from popular machanics ,,,,,, early  1950’S, to reseat rings ,a spoon at a time in the carburetor at fast idle ,and it WORKS on all enginens  BaBo has ,or  had no bleach . just a verry fine grit with borax . I like being “old”  Dan Dan R2012-09-19 09:31:08

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.