Other types of seats in your TD replica

Home Forums General Discussion Other types of seats in your TD replica

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

There’s a thread on here somewhere of a guy using the rear seat from a Firebird. Also, the rear seat back that came out of my Mustang II donor look like they were built for this car. I’m seriously thinking of combining the Mustang II rear seat back with the front bucket lowers. Also has seat sliders. I’ll post photos later, a cold has me down today.

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Did anyone notice the windshield frame on the first one? It looks like it is made of wood. The hood seems to be hinged at the back on that one too.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

The doors are hinged at the front also.How about the stainless  ,or is it aluminum pan between the front fenders beneath the grille?

It’s strickly up to each builder,but TDs always have solid color seats.
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Larry Murphy wrote:
     The doors are hinged at the front also.How about the stainless  ,or is it aluminum pan between the front fenders beneath the grille?

It’s strickly up to each builder,but TDs always have solid color seats.

I’m guessing it’s a Lafer…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

I have seats out of a 71-73 Pinto. Low back, no headrest. Mine aren’t adjustable, but could be.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Dennis,

Are there pics of your car in the photo gallery?  If not, could you share some?  I’d love to see pics of your seats and how you have them installed.  
    Thanks!

KentT2013-05-05 07:42:14

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Just saw this pic of MG Midget seats in an original MG TD.  I need to try tracking down a pair of these to measure for fit.  Based on the space between them in the tub, and their rounded backs, these just might fit — if I can find a pair in decent shape.

From this eBay listing:

PMOSSBERG2013-05-22 22:01:59

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Those look like they belong there. Nice find.

Dude needs to turn his windshield wiper motor right-side-up though.
    edsnova2013-05-22 21:44:08

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I just bought a cheap pair of 70s Midget seats (with headrests) on FleaBay so I’ll soon be able to see if they fit.  If so, I’ll put new seat covers on them.  If not, they were cheaper than a tank of gas spent running around to salvage yards…

John Richardson
    Participant

@prisoner6

Being new to the TD replica scene, I though the safe and intelligent thing would be to use original WV Bug seats. No one told me (at least I couldn’t find an answer on the Internet) that you cant use stock seats due to the rear seat width (tunnel flares out) is narrower than the front. The first set I bought from the VW junkyard in El Cajon I found out they were Ghia seat which were too wide. The second seat were for a Bug but WAY too tall! Fortunately I work for a Navy activity downtown where there are lots of golf carts and John Deere Gators. After eyeballing and measuring I found two makes that seemed to fill the bill. Columbia Eagle seats were great, good looks, NARROW and on slides. Trying to buy a set was a pain and way too expensive. The John Deere Gator was almost as good but too short. Looking on the seat back a manufacturer info was stamped, got online and picked up a pair of JD repops (no JD logo) and unfortunately in JD YELLOW! But each complete with sliders and about 20-24 inches high was under $100 including shipping. Test fitting them was just about perfect. Holding off installing until I’m done painting the body (Rustoleum Hunter Green-sprays great out of the can!) and installing the front carpet. Found some Desert Tan dashboard vinyl interior spray paint at O’Reilly’s that works great. I think these are the best seats for the money. Contact me if you need more info. Thanx

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Can you post a pic?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Naaa, man. Leave ’em yellow. It’ll set off the hunter green exterior and the Deer people will love you for it!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Gabe,

What year Mustang II was your donor car?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

My donor was a 75. I used the bottoms of the front seats and the back from the rear seat. The back looked like it was made for the car. I removed the cardboard backing for the back seat and replaced with plywood so that it is strong enough to take the hinges used to mount it to the body pan. The seat bottoms had to have the outside corners knocked off a little to fit in the body. I don’t recommend these seat bottoms for anyone that doesn’t weld. I went this way because I already had these seats, so cost was zero.

John Richardson
    Participant

@prisoner6

I went through two sets of VW front seats, Ghias are too wide along with stock Bug seats. Where I work there are a lot of different golf type carts and John Deere Gators. The best I’ve seen are Columbia Eagle seats but finding some cheap is hard if not impossible to do. Finally saw the JD “Gator” seats which have flip forward and NARROW sliding tracks. There are approximately 22 inches wide and about 24 inch high. Be aware that most of the garden tractor seat backs are too short. The seats illustrated cost $99 new and shipping is about $20. The only problem is the are bright yellow but interior vinyl spray paint Desert tan from O’Reillys auto parts works well. These are what I am installing in my TD replica, will keep the forum posted.

Thanx,

John
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Looks like those John Deere Gator seats are also available in black:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.